Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 10th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    • 2,417Posts
    • 11,914Thanks
    NBLondon
    0 WOW
    Wombling 2019
    • 10th Jan 19, 8:42 AM
    0 WOW
    Wombling 2019 10th Jan 19 at 8:42 AM
    Hi all - a successor thread to the Wombling 2018 thread
    I thought about starting a new thread - but depends if anyone else wants to play.
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Happy New Year
    Is this thread still going? And continuing in 2019?
    I stopped posting as thought no one was updating it.
    I would love to continue but really only get cc points now.
    Originally posted by never too old
    Hi, I'd love to join in if there is a new thread. I'm just starting to get right into wombling, I always go out litter picking for the wildlife and things and I find loads of receipts there, sometimes a trolley with a pound in too!
    Originally posted by AppleCrumble44
    So a couple of people do....
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Page 1
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 10th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 11,914 Thanks
    NBLondon
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    What is it?
    • 10th Jan 19, 9:04 AM
    For new readers - Wombling is the art of collecting discarded money, vouchers, receipts with unclaimed loyalty points or as the song says:
    Making good use of the things that we find,
    Things that the everyday folk leave behind.
    The most obvious targets are supermarket car parks; many people discard receipts as they go and if there are unclaimed loyalty points on these, the wombler could add these to their own account by taking them to the customer service desk and claiming they had forgotten their card on a previous trip. Till spits (money off vouchers from the till) can also be found.

As AppleCrumble44 notes above - abandoned trolleys sometimes have a pound coin left in them and the dutiful wombler could bring these back to the store and release the coin.

My own favourite target is the Coinstar machine that turns your loose change into vouchers for a commission. I find that some users either don't check the return chute after they have emptied in a jarful of coins or they leave behind any foreign currency (or leave it on top of the machine or throw it on the floor!). So the wombler scoops these up...

And of course - roadkill - coins or notes dropped in public places. I wouldn't go out specifically hunting it but if I spot a gleam of silver; it's fair game.

Some people might like to share their tips or celebrate big/interesting finds here. Or report their progress and end of year totals.

Happy Wombling!
    "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,503Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

• Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

• Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

• Follow Martin