Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 7th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    • 436Posts
    • 153Thanks
    MSE Callum
    0 WOW
    Topcashback and Quidco merger 'may lead to lower cashback rates' - MSE News
    • #1
    • 7th Jan 19, 1:25 PM
    0 WOW
    Topcashback and Quidco merger 'may lead to lower cashback rates' - MSE News 7th Jan 19 at 1:25 PM
    Topcashback’s proposed purchase of Quidco may lead to lower cashback rates for shoppers, the competition watchdog has said...
    Read the full story:
    'Topcashback and Quidco merger 'may lead to lower cashback rates''

    Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • michaels
    • By michaels 7th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • 21,870 Posts
    • 101,608 Thanks
    michaels
    • #2
    • 7th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    What are the odds of some govt quango understanding the new online economy well enough to figure out just how anti-competitive this merger is and put a stop to it? About nil I suspect hence the smarmy remarks from TCB
    Cool heads and compromise
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 7th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    • 44,898 Posts
    • 6,926,931 Thanks
    One-Eye
    • #3
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    • #3
    • 7th Jan 19, 4:17 PM
    The merger may well lead to lower cashback rates, it might also lead to higher rates. A retailer might be happier to offer higher rates if they only have to deal with a single group. It only takes one retailer to offer a higher rate and their competitors will feel obliged to compete. The merged group will also have more clout when negotiating with retailers.

    Should the CMA also consider those who buy from retailers without going through the cashback process? It seems a little petty to be worrying about a near monopoly on less than 10% of a retailer's sales, when that 10% are paying less than the other 90%.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 7th Jan 19, 10:31 PM
    • 7,555 Posts
    • 9,656 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    • #4
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:31 PM
    • #4
    • 7th Jan 19, 10:31 PM
    If merger goes ahead will be race to the bottom, retailers will want to offer as least cashback/discount off purchase as they can, clearly currently Quidco and TCB compete against each other to get rates enhanced as they each benefit from volume of business sold via their websites.

    Currently Quidco and TCB are the only cashback sites that can get all retailer cashback offers and higher than normal 100% rates, if merger goes ahead the merged company wont even need to pass on all the commission it receives as the end user/cashback site member wont know what the true rate being offered by high paying retailers e.g BT Broadband actually are as wont be anything to compare rates with.

    Both TCB and Quidco offer a Highest Cashback Guarantee promise if the merger goes ahead HCG wont be applicable for many financial merchants/Broadband Providers etc as no other cashback site can either get these merchants or if they can get them cant offer enhanced rates that are offered again example BT Broadband.
    Last edited by bristolleedsfan; 07-01-2019 at 10:56 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

1,589Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This probably (who knows) makes it both more likely we'll remain in the EU via a 2nd referendum and more likely we'? https://t.co/GrNV48E1jS

  • Instant aftermath poll: After a defeat by over 230 votes on a flagship issue (Brexit) should Theresa May resign?

  • Wow losing by over 200. That's not defeat it's obliteration. Has there ever been a time before when a PM could lo? https://t.co/i0sVwL9P9P

  • Follow Martin