Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 19th Dec 18, 9:02 AM
    • 594Posts
    • 1,187Thanks
    charlotte1994
    0 WOW
    Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day?
    • 19th Dec 18, 9:02 AM
    0 WOW
    Should Shops Be Shut Boxing Day? 19th Dec 18 at 9:02 AM
    My local Home Bargains shop is closed Boxing Day, they say so the staff can have a break and be with their families. I love this idea, I don't see why people need to go shopping (that isn't for food) on Boxing day, the staff need a break too!!

I remember my mum telling me about a customer who came into her shop and asked if they were open Christmas Day, she said of course not and he replied "well what if I need more wine?"

Do you think all shops should follow suit? Or do you think they should open for Boxing Day?
Page 6
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 20th Dec 18, 6:16 PM
    • 8,070 Posts
    • 14,652 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    It's at least 21 years. We've been married 21 years and I know for a fact that we've always gone shopping in the sales every Boxing Day since we got married. (I know because the first year we were married, we took my father in law and he died 20 years ago!)

As for Christmas Day, our village Spar shop opens 10-3. It's entirely optional for the staff who get double pay and time off in lieu. The owners are very clear that if there are no staff volunteers it won't open. But every year, the younger staff in particular volunteer and usually split it between two shifts - 10-12.30 and then 12.30-3 to spread it. I know a couple of the staff and they're very clear that there's no coercion or pushiness involved - purely voluntary and apparently there's always a brilliant atmosphere so the staff actually enjoy it.
    Originally posted by Pennywise
    I understand that some young shop workers would do this as rather work a couple of hours for more pay to get a day off later - probably use it in Jan when they got exams
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Dec 18, 7:00 PM
    • 11,740 Posts
    • 31,684 Thanks
    suki1964
    I can remember when things such as football matches were banned on a sunday.
    Originally posted by Tallaght
    Come live here, its not that long ago that kiddies play parks were locked on a Sunday

Even now, in 2018, I get evil looks because I dare have my washing on the line on a Sunday ( or as its known here The Sabbath or Lords Day) and don't even mention the uproar when I dare mow my lawn on a Sunday
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Marisco
    • By Marisco 20th Dec 18, 8:48 PM
    • 34,178 Posts
    • 103,726 Thanks
    Marisco
    Come live here, its not that long ago that kiddies play parks were locked on a Sunday

Even now, in 2018, I get evil looks because I dare have my washing on the line on a Sunday ( or as its known here The Sabbath or Lords Day) and don't even mention the uproar when I dare mow my lawn on a Sunday
    Originally posted by suki1964
    And *shock horror* I suppose you wash the car as well? Disgusting
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 20th Dec 18, 8:55 PM
    • 11,740 Posts
    • 31,684 Thanks
    suki1964
    And *shock horror* I suppose you wash the car as well? Disgusting
    Originally posted by Marisco
    Not only that, but one farmer, who let me walk the dog on his land, and always stopped for a chat when we met, totally blanked me after he found I worked behind a bar on a Sunday.
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • tastyhog
    • By tastyhog 21st Dec 18, 12:07 AM
    • 623 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    tastyhog
    I bet the ones moaning about shops opening are the ones more than happy to go to a pub / restaurant over Christmas, or get a Chinese or Indian takeaway over Christmas, or get a taxi home after going on the pi$$

But oh no, someone can't possibly go shopping on one of the few days they might actually have off work.
    • K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 21st Dec 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,107 Posts
    • 18,155 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    My local Home Bargains shop is closed Boxing Day, they say so the staff can have a break and be with their families. I love this idea, I don't see why people need to go shopping (that isn't for food) on Boxing day, the staff need a break too!!

I remember my mum telling me about a customer who came into her shop and asked if they were open Christmas Day, she said of course not and he replied "well what if I need more wine?"

Do you think all shops should follow suit? Or do you think they should open for Boxing Day?
    Originally posted by charlotte1994
    I think it should be like it was before Sunday opening was approved. Its supply and demand though in unfortunately. I work in a shop and we are even open Christmas day. Its consumerism gone mad.
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan £268.24/£200 Feb £158.01/200 Mar £158.22/£200 (up to & incl 17th.
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • AJS321
    • By AJS321 26th Dec 18, 7:28 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    AJS321
    No. It should be up to individual shops to decide whether the anticipated revenue will cover the overhead costs of opening for the day.

The more important issue regards shops being forced to close on Christmas Day and the Sunday trading restrictions.

The laws that restrict Sunday opening hours and ban almost all shops from opening Christmas Day were originally intended to make sure shop workers had time to go to church and are a hangover from a bygone era. The fact that we now live in a multi- faith and multi-cultural society means that these laws can no longer be justified. Admittedly, if these laws were repealed I imagine very few shops would open on Christmas Day, but it shouldn’t be something that’s forced upon them by law.

There is the argument that staff want time to spend with their families, but there’s two sides to this argument. Last year was the first year the call centre at the company I work for closed on Boxing Day instead of opening reduced hours, and this year its only opening reduced hours on Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve and not opening at all on New Year’s Day. Some of the staff are greatful for this, but others are moaning that they’re losing an opportunity to earn overtime pay. And some of these people are parents with young children.
    • girlybags
    • By girlybags 26th Dec 18, 8:04 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 6,385 Thanks
    girlybags
    I go shopping on Boxing Day every year because it’s when the sales start. I would be equally happy to wait and go shopping on the 27th if shops decided to stay closed on Boxing Day, it wouldn’t bother me in the slightest.
    Never say never
    • StumpyPumpy
    • By StumpyPumpy 26th Dec 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    StumpyPumpy
    The more important issue regards shops being forced to close on Christmas Day and the Sunday trading restrictions.
    Originally posted by AJS321
    The Sunday trading laws were suspended for the 2012 London Olympics and the Government of the time held consultations with representatives of the big supermarkets about making the suspension permanent. The stores came to a consensus which was that they didn't want the rules relaxed so after the Olympics the restrictions returned.

And the reason they didn't want them relaxed? A special form of religion: Mammon. The supermarkets calculated that they get as much trade during the 6 hours they are open on a Sunday as they would if they were to be open all day. But if they were open all day they would have to pay staff for two shifts rather than the current one, heat and light the store for longer, etc., etc., Lots of extra expense for no extra sales. And they also figured out that it would only take one store group to break a self-imposed embargo to ruin all that and force them all to open, thereby incurring all the additional costs. So they backed the status quo and to have it enforced by law.

SP
    Come on people, it's not difficult: lose means to be unable to find, loose means not being fixed in place. So if you have a hole in your pocket you might lose your loose change.
    • Moonlustie
    • By Moonlustie 26th Dec 18, 8:44 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Moonlustie
    I think as many people as possible should have Boxing Day off - people buy enough crap for two days anyway - so why do they need shops?
    Target: 7lb at the moment - there's a lot to lose!
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 26th Dec 18, 11:47 PM
    • 39,780 Posts
    • 303,294 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Although I wouldn't be shopping in store anyway, shops should be able to open everyday of the year providing the very small minority of people who actually attend church are allowed time off to do so if need be.
    Internet goodness £26288
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 30th Dec 18, 9:31 AM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 4,392 Thanks
    Marvel1
    My wife works in retail, shes got 4 days off over christmas, prior to kid shed always work it and get new year off.
    Originally posted by spadoosh

Why change to not working it?
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 30th Dec 18, 9:57 AM
    • 21,051 Posts
    • 218,906 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Although I wouldn't be shopping in store anyway, shops should be able to open everyday of the year providing the very small minority of people who actually attend church are allowed time off to do so if need be.
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    No, just no. Christmas is a time to relax with family. Shops should not be able to open every day of the year, Christmas and Easter are sacred and even those that do not go to church should not be forced to work.

You would be lost on the continent, the majority of shops are closed on a Sunday. As far as I am concerned that is the way it should be.

As for opening boxing day - I think it should be voluntary for staff, and if the shop gets enough staff willing to work it they can open, if not then they can't.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

905Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Now come on that's a bit unfair!!!!! I could've done a handstand (well headstand) first if you'd asked! Sheesh! https://t.co/01Pf9Z99B1

• It isn't statistically representative true. But to say that tells us nothing isn't correct. It shows what people i? https://t.co/JBLu6Cd8a5

• Very interesting that on my Facebook page (which tends to be more pro Brexit) the same vote, with similar number of? https://t.co/NgYxaQDCnr

• Follow Martin