Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 9th Dec 18, 12:47 PM
    • 2,576Posts
    • 4,285Thanks
    k3lvc
    Hiding/Muting a forum/sub forum
    • 9th Dec 18, 12:47 PM
    Hiding/Muting a forum/sub forum 9th Dec 18 at 12:47 PM
    This morning 80%+ of new posts on my timeline are competitions/advents - is there any way to hide/mute these that have no interest ?
Page 1
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Dec 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 9th Dec 18, 8:06 PM
    • 9th Dec 18, 8:06 PM
    This morning 80%+ of new posts on my timeline are competitions/advents - is there any way to hide/mute these that have no interest ?
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    You can view your subscriptions within your User CP

User CP>List Subscriptions

There you can then delete the subscription or update the subscription type

Tick the appropriate box(es) >Make the appropriate selectrion from the drop down menu at the bottom "Selected Threads">Go

To avoid doing this in future, you can also set/revise your
    'Default Thread Subscription Mode' within your User CP

User CP>Edit Options>Second box under second category 'Messaging & Notification'
    • fermi
    • By fermi 10th Dec 18, 1:20 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    • 10th Dec 18, 1:20 AM
    • 10th Dec 18, 1:20 AM
    What do you mean by timeline? Todays or new posts link?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Dec 18, 6:39 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 10th Dec 18, 6:39 AM
    • 10th Dec 18, 6:39 AM
    If like me you use "see New posts" all the time, it would be great if you could "exclude" say the competitions sub-forum from them. I think this is what the OP is after. If there's a way, i'd love to know too.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • fermi
    • By fermi 10th Dec 18, 8:12 AM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    • 10th Dec 18, 8:12 AM
    • 10th Dec 18, 8:12 AM
    If like me you use "see New posts" all the time, it would be great if you could "exclude" say the competitions sub-forum from them. I think this is what the OP is after. If there's a way, i'd love to know too.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Might be worth bookmarking one of these links in your browser.

See new posts (excluding comp boards)

See new posts - sorted by thread start time (excluding comp boards)

See today's posts (excluding comp boards)

See today's posts - sorted by thread start time (excluding comp boards)
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Dec 18, 1:18 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 10th Dec 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 1:18 PM
    Originally posted by Sea Shell

Exactly this - I usually view either 'subscriptions' or 'new posts' - it would be useful to exclude a specific folder(s) from 'new posts'
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Dec 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 10th Dec 18, 1:19 PM
    • 10th Dec 18, 1:19 PM
    Might be worth bookmarking one of these links in your browser.

See new posts (excluding comp boards)

Originally posted by fermi

And this does exactly what I wanted
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Dec 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 11th Dec 18, 5:38 PM
    • 11th Dec 18, 5:38 PM
    And this does exactly what I wanted

But apparently only as a one off as a bookmark - if i click on 'new posts' again to refresh I'm back to square one - have to exit and rerun bookmark
    • fermi
    • By fermi 11th Dec 18, 5:47 PM
    • 39,669 Posts
    • 47,650 Thanks
    fermi
    • 11th Dec 18, 5:47 PM
    • 11th Dec 18, 5:47 PM
    But apparently only as a one off as a bookmark - if i click on 'new posts' again to refresh I'm back to square one - have to exit and rerun bookmark
    Yeah, you need to bookmark the link and always use that afresh each time.

It is basically a link to instigate a forum search with certain parameters (which is what the normal 'New posts' link does), but here with some extra ones added in a syntax the board understands. It is not changing any forum settings, as there are no persistent user facing ones to change on this. So each time to perform that search afresh, you will need to re-use the link you bookmarked.

Not a perfect solution, sorry.

• k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Dec 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,576 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    k3lvc
    Thanks - better than I had
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 24th Feb 19, 7:40 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Bumped - so I don't lose it off the bottom of my "subscriptions" page.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,668Posts Today

7,818Users online

Martin's Twitter