Aldi

Options
We had a credit card refused at an Aldi store in Nottingham. Aldi's answer was they do not accept credit cards in stores in England. They will accept credit cards in their Scotland stores and in some stores in Wales but none in England. I discovered this is not the case the ALDI Berwick upon Tweed (England) does accept credit card payments. The Aldi website states no stores in England accept Credit cards . I have complained to Aldi today requesting from Aldi that they allow credit cards in all Aldi stores in England or remove credit card use in ALDI Berwick upon Tweed to be in line with the other Aldi stores in England. Why are the users of Aldi stores in England being discriminated against by Aldi ? The signs at two Nottingham stores do not include every debit card card they accept and I did not see a sign saying they do not accept credit cards in either store. It is extremely embarrassing to have a card refused at a till in an Aldi store.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck with that.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 1 November 2013 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Wow so just because YOU don't live in Berwick and can't benefit from this anomaly you want to make sure no-one else does ? Nice !!

Odds of you succeeding rate somewhere along the lines of a snowball's chance in a furnace :)

I'd be more embarassed to be seen buying groceries with a creditcard than I would be having it refused at Aldi mind you. I've always felt only the fec kless use creditcards for groceries.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • xiodene
    Options
    This seems ever so slightly over the top......
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Three years ago, Aldi refused my son's credit card purchase of a laptop, saying it was against policy, but they accepted my debit card.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    I don't see why it was embarrassing?

They say at the till 'Sorry we don't accept credit cards'

To which you reply 'Oh I didn't realise and don't have a debit card with me today, I'll have to leave my shopping then. By the way perhaps you could suggest that a sign is put up so that in future people know in advance'.

I can see its a bit of pain them not accepting them, but can't see why anyone would be embarrassed.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,156 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Their store, their choice.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Being prudent and following good advice from MSE we opened a a Santander 123 account for 3% savings interest. Part of the process we opened a credit card account for a good deal with cash back. This was the card refused 3 times. till the cashier enquired is it a credit card ? yes , we dont accept credit cards. Why do they have a different policy based on geography ? Aldi sell more than groceres, i have seen Spanners socket sets fishing tackle welding rods cement mixers chains saw drills etc
    duchy wrote: »
    Wow so just because YOU don't live in Berwick and can't benefit from this anomaly you want to make sure no-one else does ? Nice !!

Odds of you succeeding rate somewhere along the lines of a snowball's chance in a furnace :)

I'd be more embarassed to be seen buying groceries with a creditcard than I would be having it refused at Aldi mind you. I've always felt only the fec kless use creditcards for groceries.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    duchy wrote: »

Or those who wish to avail themselves of the cashback that many cards pay and then pay off the credit card in full each month.

I would consider anyone who does not do this when they have an opportunity to do so to be too wealthy.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reason they do it is a debit card costs them around 20p to process payment whereas a credit card will typically cost them between 2 and 3 percent of the transactions value. On a hundred pound shop this would be a £2.80 difference.
  • bargainbetty
    bargainbetty Posts: 3,455 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On the offchance that the OP is not a troll, please note that stores can sell what they want, to whomsoever they want, under whatever terms they want, within the bounds of law.

There is no law that requires a company to accept a credit card, and they incur costs if they choose to do so. If they have done it in one store, that is entirely their choice and nothing to do with you or your sense of deprivation.

If you do not like the terms under which Aldi choose to trade, then do not give them your custom.
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport