PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hippeechiq wrote: »
    ... OR :think: does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy? ...

yes ordinary jelly takes too long to set so would just soak through the flan case. you could set the jelly in a dish, then chop it up quite small and spread it on the fruit, tell the family its rustic flan! :D

forgot to say that I used to make lemon meringue in a sponge flan case
    ... but I'm weird! :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    NickJW wrote: »
    Having some of the 97% meat content Debbie and Andrew sausages I bought from Mr T a few weeks ago...I LOVE sausage and mash, but can't abide the cheap spammy sausages.
    You and me both Nick....cheapie sausages make me _pale_
    I buy a double pack of M & S 93% meat content Premium Sausages (16) for £3.50 which I think are a lovely sausage, though yours sound even nicer.

We had this for tea tonight. It's a new recipe for me, and it's only the 2nd time we've had it, but nom, nom The combination of the mustard and honey is just lush. :drool:

SAUSAGE & POTATO ROAST (serves 2)
    4 Medium/Large Baking Potatoes
    1 Tbs Oil
    5 Shallots, halved (or 3 small onions quartered length ways)
    4 Sausages
    1 Tbs Wholegrain Mustard
    1 Tbs Honey

Pre-heat oven - 200c
    Cut potatoes into wedges and place in boiling water.
    Bring back to the boil and boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain Well
    Put oil in roasting tin and heat in oven for 5(ish) minutes
    Toss potatoes wedges into the hot fat with the shallots/onions and season with salt and black pepper
    Roast for 15 minutes
    Remove tin from oven and add sausages and cook for a further 15 minutes, turning once
    Mix together mustard and honey and brush all over the potatoes, shallots/onions and sausages
    Return to oven for 10 minutes or until golden

I actually browned my sausages under the grill a bit before adding them to the tin, as anaemic looking sausages are something else I don't do, but that's personal preference. Next time I make it, I think I'll cook the sausages in the oven for 10-15 mins (so they're in for a total of 40 mins) before adding the potatoes and shallots/onions, so that they're a nice deep brown.

I also do another sausage recipe with wholegrain mustard, that also has chopped bacon, onion, tinned toms, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, chilli sauce/flakes, brown sugar and mixed beans and that's lush too, but slightly dearer to make
    rosieben wrote: »
    forgot to say that I used to make lemon meringue in a sponge flan case
    ... but I'm weird! :D
    Say whaaaaat? :rotfl:

Thanks for the suggestion on mashing up jelly and calling it rustic......what a useful term! I think I may apply that to a few other things I concoct that look less than perfect ;)

Look like I'll have to use the Qu!ck Jel, but it's not going to make for a cheap dessert once you've added the fruit and the cost of the flan - or is that me just being a tight wad? lol
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • bex2002
    bex2002 Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    spent another 3.85 today, had to get some cans of drink for OH and some more lettuice to have with our cheap pasta bake.
    £27.76/£2018 in 2018
  • sofababe
    sofababe Posts: 1,394 Forumite
    Options
    Small spend in the corner shop, £1.89 on some foil, baked beans and a tin of Ambrosia custard. My daughter's mother in law made loads of pies and crumbles and I've been given one of each!!! Very very delicious!!! And free!!!
  • savvyshe
    savvyshe Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    LannyLee and Franby64, We too love bacon at the weekends, just lately been buying cooking bacon from Nett# and both times it has been great, just rashers of lean bacon mixed in with some thicker pieces but most of it was just thinner rashers it was great for baking into quiches hotpot and just breakfasts. 1kg for £1.50 HTH
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard £3840.00
  • skilly
    skilly Posts: 922 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    morning all,had to pay for 2 veggie boxes and 1 loaf of bread yesterday £36.20,i have also canceled this weeks box . will update sig in a bit ,i have been good so far been useing up stuff from freezer, i have to keep saying to my self i do not need any think from the shop !!!.
    sealed pot challenge number 31 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 16 £802.00/ 17 £? gold star from sue 🌟
  • LannyLee
    LannyLee Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    savvyshe wrote: »
    LannyLee and Franby64, We too love bacon at the weekends, just lately been buying cooking bacon from Nett# and both times it has been great, just rashers of lean bacon mixed in with some thicker pieces but most of it was just thinner rashers it was great for baking into quiches hotpot and just breakfasts. 1kg for £1.50 HTH

thanks for that Savvyshe, but our Netto has closed down :(, but I suppose on the plus side it was replaced with a massive H&B, so not too bad!
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'm going to be ~£5 over this month. I need more oats(39p) and will need to buy fruit/veg at the weekend(£5?) and also wanted to get a gamon joint(£2-3) while they're on offer everywhere.
    That's about as much as I spent in my 3-week september so it's improving but I still need to cut down some more. My main problem is meat, I'm eating it more than ever when I'd be happy having it 1-2 times a week. I also don't need to have a roast on a sunday, when I could have a monday roast with a chicken reduced to £1.

I had a reduced/whoopsies shop at budgens after work: eggs, stir fry veg, potatoes and a huge fresh sponge with jam & cream for 79p(for OH/flatmates but I did have a small slice with the cream wiped off and it was delicious).
    I've had one of the eggs and they're the best eggs I've ever tasted from a supermarket so now I'm contemplated buying them regularly... They're usually £1.99 for 6/9 but I could happily eat one of these boiled or poached with a few slices of toast, rather that having to scramble 2-3 with lots of seasoning etc like I do with cheap eggs. Hmm...
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • NickJW
    NickJW Posts: 680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You and me both Nick....cheapie sausages make me _pale_
    I buy a double pack of M & S 93% meat content Premium Sausages (16) for £3.50 which I think are a lovely sausage, though yours sound even nicer.

Mmm - yours are cheaper and sound lovely. Funny that I never think about M+S :o Don't bother with the Debbie and Andrew Sausages - I wasn't impressed with them at all - I don't know if it's the flavour, or that there is TOO much meat in them, but they were very average. I only bought them because they were on offer in Mr T, but they are the same price as my Mr S taste the difference ones I usually buy, which are I think 95% meat content. These sausages tasted quite gristly but the Mr S sausages are LOVELY!

I wonder if they do those sausages you have in the train station M+S (the only one near me)...I'll pop in and have a look. Will also give that recipe a go since it's with things I always have in stock.

£1.50 spent on a bag of salad for lunches this week - updated signature.
    Grocery Challenge Jan 24 0/300

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51
  • moonpixiewitch
    Options
    Thanks for that Rosie :)

68p??!! - blimey....I only pay between 6 & 12p for my jelly :rotfl:

I'd rather make up a pint of jelly, use up how ever much the flan can handle, and pour the rest of the jelly into a couple of glass bowls - OR :think: does it have to be Qu!ck Jel so it sets before making the sponge go all soggy?

I used to use the juice from the tin of fruit thickened with arrowroot !:D thats all quickjel is anyway I think .
    Started my own business and loving being my own boss
    march gc 144/230
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family