ERUDIO student loans help

Comments

• rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    So noone misses it.
    When will the new Deferment Application Form be ready?

The New Deferment Application Form will be ready by the end of February. We realise that the deferment process is complex and it is important that we provide the best service possible. Having listened to feedback from our customers and third parties, we’ve updated the form and guide so that they are easier to understand and clearly explain what information is needed and why.

As part of the changes we’ve made, we will no longer require customers to provide additional consent for listing with credit reference agencies. The new form will still feature a Direct Debit Mandate request but this will be optional rather than compulsory. However, in case the deferment application is unsuccessful, we do think it is still best for customers to complete this to ensure they can make a repayment and thus protect themselves from their account going into arrears.

Until the new form is in circulation you may receive the current Deferment Application Form which we will now accept without the Direct Debit Mandate completed. Equally, we will be happy to accept signed forms with the following wording crossed out: "ACCORDINGLY THEREFORE BY SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION YOU CONFIRM THAT YOU CONSENT FOR ERUDIO TO PERFORM RELEVANT CHECKS AT CREDIT REFERENCE AND FRAUD PREVENTION AGENCIES."

Because of these changes, anyone due to receive a Deferment Application Form after 1st of February will have the option of requesting a new form instead of using the current version, which will be issued when it becomes available. Due to the way the deferment process works (forms are sent out well in advance of deferment) these customers will still have time to complete and return the new form for it to be assessed.
    What should I do if I want to use the new Deferment Application Form?

The new application form will be ready for use from the end of February. Anyone due to receive a Deferment Application Form from 1st February will have the option of requesting a new form instead of using the current version. To make these customers aware of this we will be writing to them and informing them of this option.

Equally, in the interim, we are happy to process forms without the Direct Debit Mandate completed and/or with the wording "ACCORDINGLY THEREFORE BY SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION YOU CONFIRM THAT YOU CONSENT FOR ERUDIO TO PERFORM RELEVANT CHECKS AT CREDIT REFERENCE AND FRAUD PREVENTION AGENCIES." deleted.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 January 2015 at 12:39AM
    MSE_Wendy wrote: »
    Morning all! We wondered if you'd spotted the couple of extra questions that have been added to Erudio's FAQs?

http://www.erudiostudentloans.co.uk/faqs/default.htm

* When will the new Deferment Application Form be ready?
    * What should I do if I want to use the new Deferment Application Form?

Do let us know what you think!

MSE Wendy

So, are they going to show us it before they decide to use it so we can say if we are happy or not, or see if they have changed the tone of the thing?
    If not, i would very much doubt they have changed many of the contentious wordings and implicitly veiled threats that the original had. We will see. Unless we see the form before it gets distributed, it isnt really much of in interaction as they already knew what the problems were in the 1st DAF. After all, the 1st form they sent us out collected all the additional 'information' they wanted, including our bank account details and if we now own a house etc.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    True. They have already perpetrated 90% of their scam with the 1st set of forms.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
  • plong979
    plong979 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Don't care what the new form says or demands I ain't using it. Don't trust the company so I refuse to give them my signature on anything.

They can put arrears on my account till the cows come home, they ain't getting nothing off me.

I'll continue to send them a letter with payslips every year until I've completed my 25 years. Only 11 more years to go.
  • Cook1e
    Cook1e Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    rizla_king wrote: »
    So noone misses it.

Agree why the option to use the new DAF? Will it have more terms and conditions to try and change the original agreement. As for the advice on supplying the DD just incase you do not defer and go into arrears. It means if you are legible to defer, we will lose your documents, not communicate and create more arrears due to our confusion and take money out of your account. I do not trust them either!
  • I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

I had a student loan in 1997 (which I totally forgot about). A few months ago I received a letter from Erudio about it. As this was the first I had heard from them for 17 years, I replied back to them stating I believed it to be statue barred.

Today while at work, a sheriff's officer left a citation at my home with my wife.

It's actually a copy of a Charge for Payment from a court from 2002. This is the first of me being aware of this and telling me I have 14 days to £2,200!!

Now, in May 2010 I entered into a trust deed which became protected. I was successfully discharged from this in March 2014.

I guess I'm wondering what I do next?
  • Lungboy
    Lungboy Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There were countless issues with the proposed new DAF, I very much doubt that they have fixed them all.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I wonder if anyone can offer any advice.

I had a student loan in 1997 (which I totally forgot about). A few months ago I received a letter from Erudio about it. As this was the first I had heard from them for 17 years, I replied back to them stating I believed it to be statue barred.

Today while at work, a sheriff's officer left a citation at my home with my wife.

It's actually a copy of a Charge for Payment from a court from 2002. This is the first of me being aware of this and telling me I have 14 days to £2,200!!

Now, in May 2010 I entered into a trust deed which became protected. I was successfully discharged from this in March 2014.

I guess I'm wondering what I do next?

The student loan would be unaffected by the trust deed.

Regarding the charge for payment etc. I would give National Debtline a call on freephone 0808 808 4000 to to see whether that means it cannot be statute barred.

A creditor in Scotland has to bring a "relevant claim" in "appropriate proceedings" which are "any proceedings in a court of competent jurisdiction in Scotland or elsewhere" within 5 years from your last payment or acknowledgement to prevent it being statute barred. Scottish law or court proceedings is not my thing, so whether that counts I would not like to guess.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • gustavep
    gustavep Posts: 13 Forumite
    rizla_king wrote: »
    Admission that its not a legal requirement to have a DD in place. Or even give them a mandate at all.

At last.

We knew it, but theyve finally come clean

Still blatantly lying though

"As part of the terms and conditions of your loan agreement, you should have a valid Direct Debit set up to cover monthly repayment, in case your application is not deferred and repayments are due"

No - it's not parts of the terms and conditions,

"Although we are now accepting Deferment Application Forms without this section completed"

Well that's very generous of them.

Good to see the section about the new deferment form and how not to consent to sharing your information is hidden in the "recently asked questions section" and not under the "deferment" or "information sharing" sections. It's almost like they don't want you to see it.
  • gustavep
    gustavep Posts: 13 Forumite
    Just seen another FAQ that is still misleading.

We may pass details of your loan to credit reference agencies where your account was opened before 1998 in accordance with the terms and conditions of the loan. Where your account was opened in or after 1998 then we may pass details of your loan to credit reference agencies where (i) your account is in or has been in arrears with Erudio Student Loans or (ii) your account is in default or (iii) you have agreed that we may do this. Where your account is in deferral it will be treated in the same way as any other form of loan which is in a payment holiday and will not be treated as a default.

Still implies that they will regard all loans, whether pre or post 1998 will be recorded as on payment holiday.

Think they need to get their own website in order before sending out more confusing forms.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback