Office relocation

Options
Hello everyone

I'm pretty sure i already know the answer to my question; but just wanted some other opinions if possible please?

I've been with my current company for 17 years and they've now decided to relocate. At the moment, i have an almost non-existent commute to work (10 mins in the car) but when they move it will be an hour at the minimum.
I would never look for a job with such a long commute, for several reasons, the most important being that i suffer with anxiety and travelling is a real trigger (especially being stuck in traffic-which is bound to happen on the new commute)

My contract says "The company has the right to transfer you permanently to another place of work that will be reasonably accessible to you from your normal residence"

My family keep telling me to ask to be made redundant; is this an option for me?

I just presumed it wouldn't be, as for anyone else, they would expect you to commute for an hour to get to work...

Thanks for reading

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    You can ask, but no, I don't think you'd have a strong case. The basic position is that 90 minutes / 50 miles each way is acceptable. That's rather simplistic, but the bottom line is that if they say no you would have to resign, claim unfair dismissal and see if a court supported your position. There's a very good chance they wouldn't.
  • Badger74
    Badger74 Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks sangie595 - that's really helpful; much appreciated
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The anxiety of being on the dole/jobsearching would be greater than sucking up the one hour commute.

Do it, transfer, then see how you feel over time, once you've travelled it a few months and got used to the nuances of the traffic flow etc ... and then, if you don't like it, look for other jobs "in your own time" at a leisurely pace and without being "pushed" to take jobs by job centres.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A relocation doesn’t always happen straight away - it can take up to a year and longer.

Experience of both former employer and an interviewer saying we’re relocating and following both I know their moves took a good year to come to fruition.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes, they can change your place of work whenever they like increasing your commute.

No, they are not obliged to give you redundancy. They will probably a) force it on you knowing that you'll suck it up and fall in line or b) know you'll probably quit so they won't need to offer redundancy.

Maybe you could turn it around and negotiate a not so early start, or early finish some days...maybe a few working at home days to soften the blow?
  • Badger74
    Options
    A relocation doesn’t always happen straight away - it can take up to a year and longer.

Experience of both former employer and an interviewer saying we’re relocating and following both I know their moves took a good year to come to fruition.

Yeah, this has been in the pipeline since Christmas and they've only just now signed the lease and they're moving in October...
  • Badger74
    Options
    They will probably a) force it on you knowing that you'll suck it up and fall in line or b) know you'll probably quit so they won't need to offer redundancy.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

And yes, if i can't find anything else, i'll see if i can do a few days from home instead.

Thanks Andy
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This is probably a good time to brush up your CV and start looking to see what other opportunities are out there. If you've been with the same company for so long you will be out of practice with job hunting and the market has changed a lot in recent years.

If you don't find a new job before they relocate then give the new commute a try maybe with the agreement to work from home one or two days a week. Is there anyone who lives near you who would be willing to car share?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Is there any flexibility in start and finish times. You can often find that changing by as little as 15 or 30 minutes can make a huge difference to travel time.
  • Badger74
    Options
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    This is probably a good time to brush up your CV and start looking to see what other opportunities are out there. If you've been with the same company for so long you will be out of practice with job hunting and the market has changed a lot in recent years.

If you don't find a new job before they relocate then give the new commute a try maybe with the agreement to work from home one or two days a week. Is there anyone who lives near you who would be willing to car share?

Yeah, there is a couple of us that live pretty close by, so that might work (the rest already live in Brighton, so are all thrilled with the move!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure