MSE Poll: Have you planned for your funeral?

2»

Comments

• Co-op_Funeralcare
    Co-op_Funeralcare Posts: 4 Organisation Representative
    There's so many companies selling funeral plans so it's worth making sure you check a few things before you buy. Our advice would be:
    1 - check that the funeral plan provider is registered with the FPA (Funeral Planning Association),
    2 - never buy from an intermediary as they take large commission payments out the value of the plan. Always buy direct,
    3 - make sure you choose a plan that guarantees the disbursements (not just a contribution).
  • carlislelass
    carlislelass Posts: 1,776 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    A friend used a "direct cremation " for her relative ( think David Bowie had one), then a few weeks organised a "get together"
  • I have been signed up to the organ donation scheme for many years but until now hadn't thought it through. I am now in the process of planning my funeral and considering payment options etc.
    Who would collect my body on death to harvest the organs, tissues etc. if say I died at home? And what happens to my body after that? Does it get released for the usual family cremation/burial procedures?
    Do funeral planning companies charge extra for plans that not their usual remit?
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Archaeologist pal of mine has taught her sons (both in their 30s) exactly how she wants to be buried. In a manner calculated to give her future colleagues apoplexy - with a genuine Roman coin, a clay pot in an Anglo Saxon style (she made) positioned to indicate the cremated remains of a child (her sons intrigued by this & she coolly suggested she might outlive one of them, but if not, latest dog), dressed in wool she has dyed, spun & woven herself & sewn using a period credible stitch & so forth, wearing a family locket of hideous but unquestionably Victorian design & clutching one of sons most recent no longer in use phones & a very carefully packed memory stick. (I hope she lives a few more decades as she So Enjoys planning ways to wrong-foot her future colleagues!)

All these plans once done, to be followed by a massive kneesup at the local church hall for as many family as can attend, everyone to bring a dish of something & there are a couple of crates of fizz in the cellar for anyone not driving.

Seems like an excellent plan to me. No Funeral companies involved at any stage but local Womens' Institute to supply crockery cutlery & washing up!
  • mrBlue
    mrBlue Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Funeral Plan "pseudo-insurance" is often a waste of money and a bad investment, unless you expect -with some certainty- to die soon. The best way to ensure your funeral costs can be met is to ensure you have at least £5K - £8K of cash / investment assets before you die.
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I know i'm going to face a barrage (this is MSE forums after all) but I'm going to say this anyway.

I don't want a funeral, burial, cremation or anything. I couldn't give a monkeys what they do with me. I have no family or dependents so I have no plans other than I'm not planning for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure