Next MSE Collective Switch Coming to an End

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    palh wrote: »
    Re BGas Collective Fix "Deal expiring 3 Oct 17"

My understanding is that BG will maintain your current(Deal) price until switched so long as they(BG) are advised that you have signed up to a new supplier, within the 20 days up to the current Deal expiring. i.e. after 13 Sept up to 3 Oct 17. Yes?

As I understand it the 20 *working* days runs *from* - not up to - the end of your tariff.

Here's a typical T&C statement - this one from Scottish Power

7.4.1 [where] we get notice within 20 Working Days from the end of your existing Fixed-term Tariff (either from you or another Fuel Supplier), that you intend to switch Fuel Supplier; and

7.4.2 the supply switch is made within a reasonable period (usually 30 days) after we get that notice, we will continue to supply you with Fuel on your existing Fixed-term Tariff until the switch is completed.

I know that the grammar is pretty poor, but if it meant "up to" then what if you gave them notice 21 working days before the tariff end date? Would you really expect to lose the benefits that someone who gave notice one day later than you would receive?

Why the $&¬* didn't they use "after" or "following" ? :)
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    And here's the same T&C from British Gas

What happens if we change your contract or raise prices

The change or price rise won't affect you if:

you arrange for another company to supply your gas and electricity, and the new supplier tells us about this within 20 working days after the change or price rise happened. That company has to begin supplying your gas and electricity reasonably soon after telling us.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    The gaining supplier is required by Ofgem to manage all aspects of the transfer of supply. They will ask you for meter readings at the appropriate time. These are passed to an industry third-party for verification and they are then passed back to the gaining and losing suppliers to open and close your accounts. Under EU/Ofgem regulations, suppliers have 6 weeks from the date of the actual transfer of supply to raise a Final Bill. Any refund will follow shortly afterwards. You should leave your DD in place just in case there is an issue with the transfer. Cancelling your DD may put you in breach of contract and your existing supplier may then have the right to change you its SVT rate.

Once the transfers have gone through, YOU should cancel the DD Mandate held by your Bank.

Many thanks. Can Direct Debits usually be cancelled through online banking, please?

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    vigman wrote: »
    Many thanks. Can Direct Debits usually be cancelled through online banking, please?

Vigman

I am with First Direct, and I can cancel my DD mandates online. I cannot speak for your bank.
  • vigman
    vigman Posts: 1,377
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 13 September 2017 at 4:43PM
    I am with First Direct, and I can cancel my DD mandates online. I cannot speak for your bank.

Thanks again. My BG DDs are with Santander, so I will check and report back if it helps others.

I also meant to ask if others have added a second property (eg holiday home) to their Cheap Energy Club account?

Just found this: It's not something Cheap Energy Club can do at the moment; you'll have to set up a new account with a different email address.

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The DD should only be cancelled AFTER you have received a final bill and paid it. You really don't want a late payment marker,or worse of your credit file because BG deem you owe anything.
  • polymaff
    Forumite
    vigman wrote: »
    Thanks again. My BG DDs are with Santander, so I will check and report back if it helps others.

I've had no problems with unilaterally cancelling Santander DDs.

Like nic says, don't queer the pitch by cancelling before you've discharged your commitments.
  • Martin is really pushing Ovo as their 2 year fix deadline nears its end. I've had a few emails this week, one this morning '..we panicked that it'd be pulled, but it's promised us "the deadline's Friday". We don't know when it'll go on Friday, so grab it quick to be sure...'
    They look fine if you at their website. Cheap, green, friendly etc.
    But, recent Trust Pilot reviews have been absolutely shocking.
  • My switch has gone through but BG are saying not to cancel the DD. My next payment would be due on the 22nd and I know I am in credit. I am concerned they will take payment and then have the hassle of waiting for a refund.

Should I cancel now ?

I switched to Bulb and have £100 credit already ! Very pleased.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    bobstheboy wrote: »
    My switch has gone through but BG are saying not to cancel the DD. My next payment would be due on the 22nd and I know I am in credit. I am concerned they will take payment and then have the hassle of waiting for a refund.

Should I cancel now ?

I switched to Bulb and have £100 credit already ! Very pleased.

Read your contract terms and conditions. A lot suppliers will revert you to their SVT if you cancel your DD Mandate irrespective of how much credit is held on account. Transfers should go through in 35 days but, sadly, some do go awry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure