Tales from The Shire

Comments

• Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    What a couple of days. I'm exhausted.

Yesterday I decided to tackle the dining area. It was the worst room in the house as we had used it as a dumping ground for everything we couldn't decide what to do with. It's now clean and tidy and we can, finally, eat at a table :D There are still a few boxes in there but they are neatly stacked at the side and not in the way at all. It took all day though. Several hours were spent trying to refix the legs of my very heavy, very long dining table as the removal company had put them on back to front :eek: I could have done with Mr F's help but I managed to do it eventually. Girl power :T

Today I had new patient appointment at the doctors. It turned into a bit of a magical mystery tour as the main road leading to the surgery was closed and I struggled to find an alternative route.
    I did see a little more of the market town though - after three loops of the one way system :rotfl:

I also visited our local brewery. Mr F is a real ale fan so I thought I'd treat him to a few beers to share with the DS's at the weekend. They have a bar and nice indoor and outdoor seating areas so it could be a good venue to bear in mind for the future. The cost will come from this month's fun money.

And, at last, I finished cleaning the bathroom. It's all sparkly and inviting now :)

Other wins: I have discovered parking, a post box, a cash point and a petrol station.

It now feels as though the cleaning and unpacking marathon is coming to an end :cool: One more guest room to do and then it should be business as (almost) usual.

Oh and Toilet Man is coming Friday morning. Let's hope it's not a big job :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Sounds like you are really making progress Fortune.
    What are you going to do to celebrate the end of the 'moving in' phase?
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Getting there :) :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Sounds like you are really making progress Fortune.
    What are you going to do to celebrate the end of the 'moving in' phase?

We've got the DS's coming for the weekend Wish so a nice social time planned.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Getting there :) :j

The trouble is Beanie that I haven't got to the end of the moving in clean yet and the rooms I started with need a refresh now :rotfl: At least it will be standard cleaning as I've got a good base to work from.

Fortune x
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • Fortune_Smiles
    ... literally :rotfl: The second guest room is clean, tidy and looking pretty for the weekend's visitors :D

There are still a few boxes around. Some (mainly books) can be unpacked little by little. Others will have to stay as they are until I have sourced some storage.

What a relief to have it finished. I've ached from head to foot the last few days. I think it's down to doing the lifting and shifting Mr F would usually take care of.

All I need to do tomorrow is let the plumber in and take some boxes over to the annex then I'm free to relax a little before the DS's arrive. I picked some blackcurrants from the garden yesterday so I might bake a cake with them and then I badly need a manicure.

I am giving myself the weekend off (well apart from cooking and looking after everyone :o) and then I'm going to tackle social stuff and selling/donating any unwanted items. The annex is pretty full now so that will help to clear it a bit and perhaps I'll find some of the things I'm still missing:
    • shower squeegee
    • washing basket
    • 2 x door signs
    • all the spare lightbulbs
    • antique piano stool
    • chain saw
    • weights bar

Anyone remember The Generation Game? I've lost my rotary washing line too. The buyer has confirmed they found it in the garden :mad:

Mr F is on his way home :j so everyone should arrive on the doorstep around the same time. Can't wait to kick back a little.

The weekend starts tomorrow people :D

Fortune x
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Loving your tales Fortune. You should consider in a year whether you should make your posts into a book!

Have a lovely weekend

Bexster :)
  • All your amazing unpacking has made me go and start sorting out the room we've got moving things stored in XD Have a lovely family weekend Fortune!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,179 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Happy weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Loving your tales Fortune. You should consider in a year whether you should make your posts into a book!

Have a lovely weekend

Bexster :)

That's lovely of you to say so Bexster - I think it might make good bed time reading :rotfl: Better than counting sheep :rotfl:
    All your amazing unpacking has made me go and start sorting out the room we've got moving things stored in XD Have a lovely family weekend Fortune!

I had the extra motivation of guests arriving Vintage or I'm not sure I would have made as much progress :rotfl: Good luck with your unpacking.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Happy weekend :)

Thank you Beanie and to you too.

Fortune x
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Well this morning wasn't as easy as I'd imagined as there was quite a lot of heavy stuff to be moved around and a few bits and pieces of cleaning I had overlooked.

Toilet man came. He's marked the toilet bowl and will be coming back on Monday to check whether the toilet itself is leaking. This seems unlikely though so the total cost should be around £110 including the £50 call out fee :eek: Unfortunately this means the downstairs loo is out of action for the weekend. Good job we have alternative facilities.

On the bright side we got an unexpected refund of Council Tax of £249 :j I had expected a couple of weeks' payments but had forgotten that we were on a 10 month payment plan which made a positive difference to the amount.

I indulged myself this afternoon with a little bake - Yoghurt Cake with Blackcurrants made from the fruit I picked from the garden yesterday :D It hasn't been taste tested yet but Mr F is on his way home from the airport ;)

I am in the middle of a manicure so typing very carefully with flat fingers :rotfl: My nails appear to have survived the onslaught :)

Nothing to do now but wait for the arrivals. Would it be wrong to open the fizz already? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Fortune x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback