Looking for a good Fitness Tracker

Comments

• bluenose1
    bluenose1 Posts: 2,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    cazs wrote: »
    I've always thought fitness trackers were just a gimmick, particularly as I'm already active (walking to/from work and regular gym visits).
    I bought one (Fitbit 2) on NYE as a 2018 gift to myself, wore it for about 3 days and it really just served to confirm my suspicion. Have only worn it once since.

A lot of the stats are well inaccurate as well. So if were me I'd advise you to spend your money on some nice gym leggings/tops etc instead. But if you're determined I think the Fitbit 2 is said to be the best around at that price point.

I'm the opposite. I bought a Fitbit Charge 2 and it made me realise I was only walking just under 5000 steps a day. Definitely helped me to increase my steps significantly. It buzzes if I haven't done 250 steps every hour, which when I am in work is quite often. I then do the 250 steps by going to the 3rd floor loo [too much info I know] It does help me achieve 10k steps per day. I consciously walk and run more.
    I bought a reconditioned Fitbit from ebay without a strap for £50 and a cheap £4 strap.
    I also have a TomTom Spark for running as I like the big HR monitor display. Though too big to be my everyday watch.

Though back to the OP question not waterproof so no good for swimming.
    Money SPENDING Expert

• ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    halogen wrote: »
    ahh yes that wasn't clear sorry. Track swimming and a heart rate monitor would be good yes, although not essential.
    I have bought several fitness gadgets in the past year but they have all been rubbish so I'm obviously not a good judge of these things so I'm wary of spending more money.
    If anyone wants any of the following items PM me!
    TENS belt
    Waterproof MP3 player
    Posture trainer

I don't think you'll find something with swim tracking and heart rate monitoring for £50

Fitbit Flex 2, Moov Now, and Speedo Misfit Shine all support swim tracking for about £50 but don't do heart rate monitoring.

Activity trackers with heart rate monitoring but no swim tracking will generally start from around £100 (e.g. Fitbit Charge 2). A notable exception is Xioami Mi band 2 which is around £30.

I suspect the cheapest activity trackers that support both heart rate monitoring and swim tracking are probably around £150-£200 (e.g. Nokia Activite HR, Fitbit Versa)
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    ozaz wrote: »
    Activity trackers with heart rate monitoring but no swim tracking will generally start from around £100 (e.g. Fitbit Charge 2). A notable exception is Xioami Mi band 2 which is around £30.

I suspect the cheapest activity trackers that support both heart rate monitoring and swim tracking are probably around £150-£200 (e.g. Nokia Activite HR, Fitbit Versa)

Thanks. I suspected as much. They are all watch style as well and that's a no no for me.
  • Nisha_B
    Nisha_B Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'd recommend the Fitbit Charge 2 - I upgraded from the Alta and am loving it!

The features on there allow you to track when you're doing various activities including spin and pilates and I find it pretty accurate.

I know there's some skepticism around these trackers but for me, it encourages more activity so it's money well spent in IMO
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I would say the argument for or against fitness trackers are....what will you do with the data it gives you?

Heart rate might help if you need to keep within a certain % of your max heart rate while exercising, but unless its sitting tight to your wrist or have a chest strap that won't be 100% accurate

Number of steps is never 100% accurate with fitness trackers, but what will knowing steps give you? It doesn't equate to weight loss or cardio.....surely putting the GPS tracker on your phone or measure out a route and then timing yourself is more accurate and beneficial by trying to beat your previous each time?

Sleep pattern.... again not 100% accurate as your partner next to you might move about etc but also what will knowing you had a deep sleep for 2 hours last night really give you?..... will you suddenly go to bed earlier? stop caffeine after 9pm? if you're tired you should be doing that stuff anyway

Having the latest gadgets and technology won't help you lose weight or be fitter....only working hard, resting and a good diet will help shift those pounds or gain strength

I would rather spend money on better running shoes, clima cool tshirt or a pair of bluetooth headphones

Sorry rant over lol
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    edited 2 May 2018 at 3:48PM
    for me knowing I've done a little bit more than the day before is what I'm looking for
  • zappahey
    zappahey Posts: 2,252 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Having the latest gadgets and technology won't help you lose weight or be fitter....only working hard, resting and a good diet will help shift those pounds or gain strength
    Though, in principle, you're correct, I'm going to disagree. As someone who has only quite recently (3 years or so), I found having a Fitbit to be hugely motivational in that it allowed me to see the progress that I was making. Sure it might not be accurate, but it doesn't need to be so long as it's consistent. So I could see that my daily activity, whether it be steps or calories burnt, was in the zone I was aiming for, or if I was slacking off. I could also see the decrease in my resting heart rate and, perhaps more interestingly, how consistent it became.

So, sure, for many it may have no value but to me it's been a huge boon in getting to a place where I no longer need it. :rotfl:
    What goes around - comes around
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have a Fitbit Charge 2, and I was a bit sceptical about whether it would be worth it. However now I've had it a few months I would recommend it to others, I enjoy to competitiveness of it, the community with it. It has challenges and that pushes me to do better than what I was, before I was barely doing 5000 steps now if it's sunny I can go out and do 15000+ steps a day. I can track food and water intake in it as well.
  • Libby_Miles
    Libby_Miles Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 11:01AM
    I use Samsung Health. There is: HR, steps, automatically detects activity e.g walk, run. You can count calories
    We can connect with Garmin .
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi

I'm going back to the gym soon and am looking for a good fitness tracker. It needs to have heart monitoring (preferably built in and not with a chest strap). Also needs to have an accurate step counter/sleep monitor.

The classes I will be doing is body pump (weights), body combat (martial arts), spin (cycling) and various other classes such as Pilates.

Can anyone anyone recommend a good reasonable priced one or even a more expensive one as I'd like to keep costs low as I'm low income and want to monitor my fitness classes to improve my overall fitness and lose weight.

Thanks for your help

I also do body pump classes, and I just can't see how a fitness tracker could be anywhere close to being accurate, because so much would depend upon the weights that you use. Your pump classes are probably similar to mine, in that, there is quite a range of different weights used by everyone for the same exercises. I also do weight training, hiking and cycling. I did try body combat which I thought was a very good calorie burner, but unfortunately it aggravated my running injury. I've just recently exceeded my target, I have lost over 11 kg in 7 months.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure