PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Contents Insurance between Exchange & Completion

Options
Please could anyone help? We had building and contents insurance on the property we were purchasing and between exchange and completion the place was flooded. Insurance are paying out on all building insurance but they say:

'I would remind you that when the burst pipe took place you had only exchanged contracts and did not actually own the property until after completion on 16 March 2018. During this time the cover in force was for the buildings only. Regrettably in respect of the quotes provided for the carpets and the blinds these are considered as contents and as such are not covered under this claim'.

Is this correct - our policy says building and contents so thought we would be covered - any views?

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends on what the policy says, but it seems likely that it may have a condition saying it only covers buildings for the period between exchange and completion.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    twinter12 wrote: »
    Please could anyone help? We had building and contents insurance on the property we were purchasing and between exchange and completion the place was flooded. Insurance are paying out on all building insurance but they say:

'I would remind you that when the burst pipe took place you had only exchanged contracts and did not actually own the property until after completion on 16 March 2018. During this time the cover in force was for the buildings only. Regrettably in respect of the quotes provided for the carpets and the blinds these are considered as contents and as such are not covered under this claim'.

Is this correct - our policy says building and contents so thought we would be covered - any views?

I can't help you, but interested to see the responses. On the face of it, I'd say this is correct. I have buildings only insurance set up for the house I am purchasing (hopefully exchange will be today ...), but there are carpets, etc., and a few items of furniture I am buying. So, on the same logic, they wouldn't be insured either.

What do your notes say for when you set up the insurance? Normally, the insurer would have asked you whether you need buildings only or buildings and contents. I said the former, because at the time it seemed logical, but now I'm not so sure!
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • twinter12
    Options
    It says both I just thought was easier to have both from the get go. I have read through and cant see anything that says buildings from exchange and contents from completion?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Options
    twinter12 wrote: »
    I have read through and cant see anything that says buildings from exchange and contents from completion?
    Then ask them to point out the relevant condition to you.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,822 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you asked your solicitor about this ?

My understanding - which could be wrong - is that it's up to the vendor to ensure that the house is presented at completion in the same state as it was at exchange - so if your contract says that carpets and blinds were to be included in the purchase, and those carpets and blinds were ruined between exchange and completion, then it's up to the vendor (or his insurers) to ensure that they are replaced to a satisfactory standard.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can't insure contents you don't own. The carpets and blinds aren't yours (yet). The vendor needs to claim on his insurance for those, and leave them in the condition they were at exchange.

What caused the flooding?
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    You can't insure contents you don't own.

Yet you can insure buildings you don't own...........

I recall a similar query arising with our purchase, we left it as short a period of time between exchange and completion just to reduce the time for the risk.

If there had been an issue arising, fortunately not in our case, the claim would have been against the vendor/vendor's insurance company if he had one.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    Options
    Once contracts have been exchanged, you have an insurable interest because you have to honour the contract on completion day, whether the property is a smoking heap of embers, or you are dead.

That's why buildings insurance and life cover commence from then.

There would be no (real, verifiable) insurable interest in the contents of the property.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Once contracts have been exchanged, you have an insurable interest because you have to honour the contract on completion day, whether the property is a smoking heap of embers, or you are dead.

That's why buildings insurance and life cover commence from then.

There would be no (real, verifiable) insurable interest in the contents of the property.
    Surely if the carpets are included in the sale, then (in your words) "there is an insurable interest because you have to honour the contract on completion day"?

I would write back to the insurer, enclosing and referring to a copy of the policy certificate, and highlighting the contents cover start date.

Might be worth posting on the insurance board here where there are brokers.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,766 Forumite
    Options
    That's why I used "real, verifiable" because the contents of the property would not normally become the possession of the purchaser at exchange of contracts despite them being offered as part of the contract.

I suspect it's this kind of grey area which would cause insurers to shy away from such cover.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure