Collision: Whose fault is it?

CYPER
CYPER Posts: 238
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 14 September 2017 at 1:37PM in Motoring
Car with dascam in the rightmost lane. Van on the left of the car.
Van cuts car off

https://youtu.be/DfvMfe9LVGI

On the same note will this just polish off? The tyre of the van hit the bumper. It mostly looks like rubber resedue?

WJU1a5c_d.jpg

Comments

• I would say it's the van drivers fault.
    It looks like he was going to exit left at the 14 second mark then at the last moment realised he didn't want to but in fact wanted the next left and then swerved a bit to the right and into the lane you were in.
  • mvteng
    mvteng Posts: 510
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would say the car.

Without doubt the van driver is all over the place, but the car driver should have been driving more defensively on a roundabout & held back
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Van, absolutely no question.
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Looks like the road straight on has been closed off? If so the van driver was left wondering where to go. The van driver is certainly moving about a bit but as has been said the car driver should have realised there was a potential problem (assuming that road was coned off).
  • Shaka_Zulu
    Shaka_Zulu Posts: 1,689 Forumite
    Stoke wrote: »
    Van, absolutely no question.

Would you put your money on that? I don't think I would. (But I tend to agree)
  • Van 100% he moved lanes
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    edited 14 September 2017 at 2:42PM
    Looks to me like the van driver, the roundabout appears to be wide enough to have two lanes so he should be maintaining his lane until his exit, he looks like he queued for the correct exit (left lane on approach for first or second exit) but couldn't manage to maintain it due to careless driving.

On a second look it appears he moved from right lane on approach to the left lane, classic sign of someone who is not sure where they want to go, that should make the car driver a bit more cautious as to the van drivers intentions but van driver still at fault for moving into the path of another vehicle, indicating is no excuse as you are at the mercy of another driver who will either yield to you or go on past.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Shaka_Zulu wrote: »
    Looks like the road straight on has been closed off? If so the van driver was left wondering where to go. The van driver is certainly moving about a bit but as has been said the car driver should have realised there was a potential problem (assuming that road was coned off).
    it was after the next exit he movedso nothing to do with the cones
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Probably 50/50 for insurance but the car driver was a bloody fool.

Van was in the wrong lane but was indicating that he wanted to go right, van was ahead of the car at all times. car drove into back corner of van who was indicating his intention (albeit from the wrong entry lane).
  • Joe_Horner wrote: »
    Probably 50/50 for insurance but the car driver was a bloody fool.

Van was in the wrong lane but was indicating that he wanted to go right, van was ahead of the car at all times. car drove into back corner of van who was indicating his intention (albeit from the wrong entry lane).

van indicating right on left lane at round about, Surely he had just left his indicator on rather than intentionally doing that
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure