MSE News: HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes

First Direct has become the latest bank to offer cashback incentives when you use its credit or debit cards at selected retailers - just a month after sister bank HSBC launched an identical scheme...
Read the full story:
'HSBC and First Direct offer cashback credit and debit card schemes - are they any good?'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 9:01AM
    Couldn't beleive our local esso was 7p/litre more than the competition less than half a mile away, no wonder I was the only one filling up there. £2 of the £5 off £40 went on way over priced petrol. It is hardly going to encourage people to switch brands....
    I think....
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I registered for the First Direct scheme last week and used my card for the £10 off £40 at Lidl.

A couple of days later I got an email confirming the cashback and saying the £10 would be credited to my account within 5 days.

Apparently the Esso offer only works at Esso branded stations so excludes Esso stations with Tesco Express.....https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/first-direct-tailored-deals-with-visa-offers-boots-hm-esso-costa-lidl-dunelm-nike-store-ibis-holland-and-barrett-etc-2778309
  • Same here with Esso prices. 7p a litre more, so filled with a wee dram over £40. Reckon that knocked 15p a litre off, so saved about £2.70.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had the £10 too for my £40 Lidl shop. It costs nothing to register your card so it's a no brainer really. The offers all have expiry dates and some are online only so worth checking regularly to make the best of whats on offer.
  • Used the Lidl offer last time with my Nationwide visa debit reward scheme.

Paid out quickly.

As an Aldi shopper though, may not avail myself of this one as struggled to reach forty quid last time.
  • Hi There,
    Just phoned HSBC today and they tell me the Visa Offer does not exist!
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    marsbar wrote: »
    Hi There,
    Just phoned HSBC today and they tell me the Visa Offer does not exist!

It's quite new, so customer facing staff might not be aware of it yet. When I worked in customer services for a major utility company a few years ago, we were often the last ones to hear about the latest promotions.

Also, you can only register for it online, I believe, so it's no use ringing them. The relevant links to register are in the MSE article if you click on it.
  • Glad I read the MSE email this week otherwise I wouldn't have heard about this.
    Never shop at Lidl so not sure if the 20 minute trip would pay off. Will check the local Esso prices but I'm not sure my car holds £40 worth of petrol.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Same here with Esso prices. 7p a litre more, so filled with a wee dram over £40. Reckon that knocked 15p a litre off, so saved about £2.70.

There are lots of websites that email you as frequently as you choose with the names of the 5 cheapest sites within a (5 mile ?)range of your postcode.
  • dougz_2
    dougz_2 Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It looked a bit like a scam email to me, given the way it asks for your bank details, and that banks say never reply to email that does that.

So I contacted HSBC online support and gave a full description. They told me they had no such offer, that it was probably a scam and not to respond.

Now I come on here and find it was legit after all. So a shambles from HSBC, and irresponsible security policy from Visa.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure