Making new friends in the gym

Options

Comments

• k.green
    k.green Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Classes are probably the best way to get to know people. I've joined a few gyms in the past and have made a few friends through them but it often takes a long time, plus most of the gyms I've been to have been clique with many members already being friends outside of the gym. My advice would be to go to regular classes that you enjoy, be friendly with everyone but don't expect to become friends straight away and even if you don't make friends at least you have somewhere to go in the evenings and at the weekend.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    team sports would be a far better way
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Local net ball team?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've found it very difficult to make new friends at the gym. Even in classes there seem to be well established groups. So I'd suggest joining something like meet up.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 November 2018 at 1:11PM
    Options
    One of the things I found with classes is to try and stand in the same place/sit on the same bike. People like routine and I had the same folks around me quite often. Then you get chatting over the weeks especially if you've got there early to bag your place.

I moved down here from London a number of years back and, apart my best friend and her family, didn't know anyone. So I joined a few places (including the gym) and started volunteering. Apart from my meeting my OH at the volunteering (!) I've made more good friends through the gym classes then anywhere else,
  • bella_m
    bella_m Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Going regularly is key and try to hit the same time of the day each time. You are more likely to see the same people that way whether it is a class, a sport at the gym, weights etc. Just do whatever you are into and like minded people will surround you. Good luck.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    I agree with the above post in terms of like minded people will surround you. But that doesnt mean they want to chat, I generally train at the same time of the day and so see the same faces. Though I dont think any of them would be best pleased if I engaged them in idle chit chat. In fact one of the reasons I wear headphones is so people will not speak to me.

I would say its fine to chat in classes either before or after, not so much in the gym unless you know the person.
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have found taking the various mixed fitness classes helps to meet new people.
  • Baozhai
    Baozhai Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Yea that's good as you get to know more about different people and learn from their experiences. Adds new flavor to one's personality.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gym classes are a great way to meet people, I started body pump classes, and shortly afterwards I also started weight training with a few guys from the class a couple of evenings a week.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure