PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Contactless Payments

Comments

• robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Because as I pointed out the aversion to using contactless is not based on anything rational other than peoples fear of not being able to control there spending.

How does having £10 in your pocket make it any less likely that you’ll spend £8 on a coffee and slice of cake? How does using contactless make it more likely? Sorry to say but it isnt the payment method but the person.

Surprised to find that nobody has mentioned how filthy cash is. A study entitled “Survival of Influenza Virus on Banknotes” found that infectious virus can survive for several days on banknotes. Other research has shown that “some bank notes and coins contain traces of feces and pathogens like Escherichia coli (E. coli), salmonella and fecialstaphylococcus aureus, which can lead to serious illness.”

As I said I’m contactless all the way.

That study was dated 2008. We have changed the basic construct of notes to plastic ones since then.

So do you also clean your mobile everyday?

Especially after you have been flicking through your emails whilst sittng on the loo?
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Starling Bank. There is a thread on the banking board.
    Current account is purely app based. Real time alerts of money spent, usually before you've even put your card away.
    I top up from main current account and use for day to day spends. You can easily see where your money is going.
    Bonus it has no foreign exchange fees.
  • I've disabled the contactless option on my debit card. This is nothing to do with impulse spending though; I am genuinely alarmed that we are heading towards a cashless society, where every aspect of everyone's lives is listed and available to the highest bidder, and where it will be a legal obligation to be permanently attached to a smartphone. That's another thread though.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • Prinzessilein
    Prinzessilein Posts: 3,257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I don't use contactless at all....There re two main reasons...

First, I like to be in control of my limited finances. If I am paying for a small item (magazine...bottle of pop...whatever) then I want to keep track...contactless is too easy....swipe and bought without thinking.

Secondly...there is very limited opportunity for contactless where I live...the smaller shops and the market are strictly cash only...many of them will not even take credit or debit cards.

Also, I think some things are better done in cash....I think charities will get more by shaking a tin for spare coins rather than asking people to swipe their card!...And there is a small caf! near us which asks for cash payment as it is run by a charity helping young people with learning differences (the young people bake the cakes, make the coffee, wash up, serve and help at the till)...learning to handle cash is one of their skill-targets.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In my area all the independent cafes (and we have lots) are cash only.
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    I much prefer contactless. If you have cash and lose it, it's gone forever but if you lose your card then you're highly unlikely to lose any money and it takes two taps on your phone to cancel it and collect another from the bank. I really struggled with having to have change for the bus after I left London - it's so much easier to pay by card.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I do use contactless more and more now, even for small amounts, but I use it on my Monzo account into which I put my spends each week, not on my main bill account. It gives an instant notification on my phone and a running total of how much I've spent that day. I actually spend less doing it this way than if I have cash in my purse.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mattpaint wrote: »
    I much prefer contactless. If you have cash and lose it, it's gone forever but if you lose your card then you're highly unlikely to lose any money and it takes two taps on your phone to cancel it and collect another from the bank. I really struggled with having to have change for the bus after I left London - it's so much easier to pay by card.

I actually saved money once our buses started taking contactless. They're exact fare only and of course you can't find out what it is in advance, so I've had to overpay before. Now I just tap my card and it's much quicker than using cash.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Citygirl1 wrote: »
    I use online banking but I still find it hard to keep up with my budget with contactless payments as they don't show straight away and I somehow find it hard to sort out my budget.

Consider Monzo, when you make a purchase you get a notification you have spent x amount at Tesco.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ...learning to handle cash is one of their skill-targets.

I'm sure that the charity is doing great things for it's young people... but as time goes by, that will become more like saying "using a typewriter is one of their skill-targets".

Perhaps "understanding, using, managing and reconciling contactless payments" is a more important skill-target for young people, as that's the way the world is going.

(Particularly as some people on this thread suggest they have difficulty budgeting with contactless cards. Perhaps that illustrates the need to better educate young people about managing them.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure