20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Enjoy the boot sale :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • lindez
    lindez Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hi I have read your diary you are doing extremely well. congratulations. x
    MFWB#2
    MFTT5 #28
    Save 12k 2020 #111
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    lindez wrote: »
    Hi I have read your diary you are doing extremely well. congratulations. x
    Thanks Lindez. It doesn't always feel that way so it is great to get encouragement like that :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    I went to an event last night. My friend kindly bought me a ticket so it was free. This morning I realise after fares and buying my friend a drink it actually cost me £19. I don’t regret it but I need to remember that free nights out are rarely free. I need to factor in the total cost.

Health and wellbeing goal

It would be fair to say I am failing miserably with this goal. I am stressed, getting fatter and exercise has ground to a halt :o

Drastic measures are required. So, I am going to do a 24 hour fast tomorrow. I will start early evening to make it easier and go through to early evening the following day. I feel I need to ‘reset’ a bit like a NSD resets me with spending. My eating has fallen into a pattern that I don’t appreciate and my weight is heading up. This stops now.

Tomorrow I try out a Tai Chi class. The stupid-money gym payment goes out this month for the last time. Never again so it is time to look for an alternative way to exercise. I like how lonelyrat incorporates exercise into every day. I don’t, but think that will be my way forward. I’m also thinking of getting some light weights to exercise with whilst watching the soap opera I waste time on. I looked at a cross trainer but it is too expensive. So, an exercise DVD, a fitb1t, some weights and a £3 Tai Chi class will be my way forward. I must keep trying until I find a solution. Doing nothing cannot be an option.

Off to my car boot sale. Maybe I’ll make enough money to buy the fitb1t?

Wishing you all a lovely sunday :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with the carboot. Make sure you keep cool.

I have a fitb1t type watch but a cheaper version which is fab. Was only £30 ish.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Some of the voucher sites do offers on fit bit type watches and you can generally also get cashback. Alternatively, I'm offering free access to my outdoor gym where activities include digging, weeding, planting, etc.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,163 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you are just using the f/bit to track your steps then its a very expensive pedometer and you'd be better with a cheap one form Aldee for example. What F/bit is great for is the App and the ability to compete against others if you are motivated by winning. Greenbee and I, for example, used to be very competitive on steps and it worked well for us.

INOD you really made me laugh with your outdoor gym offer.
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Been away for a week DIA and just catching up on your diary. Glad you're getting there with your tradespeople!

If it helps you out, you can PM me what it is that you're getting quotes for electricians to do and I can ask him whether he thinks it's realistic or on the high side? Might be worth an insider's opinion?

My husband's clients range from being horrified at certain costs (because they don't entirely understand the work involved) or surprised at how reasonable the costs are.

Just a thought!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • doingitanyway
    Good luck with the carboot. Make sure you keep cool.
    I have a fitb1t type watch but a cheaper version which is fab. Was only £30 ish.
    Thanks Parsniphead :)
    Alternatively, I'm offering free access to my outdoor gym where activities include digging, weeding, planting, etc.
    Haha, I have an outdoor gym too. I wish it appealed more to me :o
    If you are just using the f/bit to track your steps then its a very expensive pedometer and you'd be better with a cheap one form Aldee for example. What F/bit is great for is the App and the ability to compete against others if you are motivated by winning. Greenbee and I, for example, used to be very competitive on steps and it worked well for us.
    Thanks Redo, I like to track and compete so I want that option too although mostly I like competing with myself ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Been away for a week DIA and just catching up on your diary. Glad you're getting there with your tradespeople!

If it helps you out, you can PM me what it is that you're getting quotes for electricians to do and I can ask him whether he thinks it's realistic or on the high side? Might be worth an insider's opinion?

My husband's clients range from being horrified at certain costs (because they don't entirely understand the work involved) or surprised at how reasonable the costs are.

Just a thought!
    What a kind offer Homegrown. Thank you. I will do that. I hope you had a lovely holiday :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills