Seeking advice: car hire excess nightmare (claims & refund)

Options
I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction with this, as I've found this site so useful over the years (so thank you all who contribute!)

I recently hired a car for 4 days in Mauritius. The company was Royal Car Hire but the actual site I used to find the car was through Economy Car Rentals.

I purchased a full insurance package and on my documents it clearly stated that although I had a 'hold' on my credit card of 400 GBP, the theft damage excess protection was included, should anything happen, by Economy Car Rentals.

On the way to the airport during a brief stop off, our hire car was broken into and all our belongings stolen, to the value of around 2500GBP. Not to mention, we had missed flights, extra other costs incurred and lost earnings from work, as it took us 3 more days to get home. Although Mauritius is lovely, this was a bit of a downer to end on.

Royal Car Hire (RCH) stated when I picked up the car and when we were at the police station that we were fully due a refund from Economy Car Rentals (ECR). They took the full 400GBP without any hesitation.

ECR said that we were not in fact insured, and sent a new document that I'd never seen, stating that windscreens were not covered. I pointed out it was the side window, then they sent another copy of text that said 'glass' instead. I felt like we were being given the run around, so asked for the refund and sent them all the information I'd been sent, clearly stating that we should be covered. ECR just state that they are sorry but tough luck basically.

How do I go forward with this? I want to complain to a higher governing body, like the Ombudsman, but I can't find out where I do this for a company like ECR. It appears they are registered in Greece or Switzerland, but when I started a European Ombudsman complaint, it only gave European public bodies as an option,so this is obviously not for private companies. I can't imagine more people aren't falling for this trick and getting screwed over by foreign car hire brokers offering cover like this. Anyone else had similar issues?

My travel insurance doesn't have car excess specified, but it does have personal liability. I'm wondering if this would be classed as such? I'm trying to build a claim for travel insurance with all our information present and correct before sending, so we stand the best chance of getting most of our costs covered.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and thank you in advance!

:money:

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    was this the policy you added? https://www.economycarrentals.com/Products/Refund.aspx?type=zero

The Theft & Damage Excess Protection covers the excess of the Collision Damage Waiver except its exclusions. The common exclusions are illegal drinking and driving, gross negligence for example fuel error, incorrect use of the handbrake, mechanical damages (clutch, gearbox etc.), driving off road or on unsealed roads, underside, damages to lights, mirrors, windows, any part of the wheels/wheel rim/tire, keys and lock / door handle, antenna, towing charges and any damages caused during the towing away, loss of personal belongings, interior of the car, non-authorized driver, administration, engineer and immobilization fee paid to the car rental provider. Any damages due to vandalism, weather or natural disasters, any damage covered by your vehicle rental agreement.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    was this the policy you added? https://www.economycarrentals.com/Products/Refund.aspx?type=zero

The Theft & Damage Excess Protection covers the excess of the Collision Damage Waiver except its exclusions. The common exclusions are illegal drinking and driving, gross negligence for example fuel error, incorrect use of the handbrake, mechanical damages (clutch, gearbox etc.), driving off road or on unsealed roads, underside, damages to lights, mirrors, windows, any part of the wheels/wheel rim/tire, keys and lock / door handle, antenna, towing charges and any damages caused during the towing away, loss of personal belongings, interior of the car, non-authorized driver, administration, engineer and immobilization fee paid to the car rental provider. Any damages due to vandalism, weather or natural disasters, any damage covered by your vehicle rental agreement.
    Have you checked when that was updated, or are you just assuming it was there when the OP bought the policy?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • adamtheanimator
    Options
    That is the policy I have with ECR. It was Collision Damage Waiver and Theft Damage Excess Protection.

The issue I am having with them is in my terms and conditions, there was no mention of these details or links to this page of their website. Also, I am not sure what exactly IS covered, as the rental voucher clearly states FULL COMPLETE cover, yet the definition of this term is the opposite when you take into account what they're saying is included.

I've asked them for a full list of what exactly is included, as I had a window smashed but other damages too. I want to be sure I word things correctly so they can't try and wiggle out of it again, but I am very disappointed at how they deceive customers.

Is there not any kind of protection or claim I can make against their false advertising and claims? Nowhere on the 'My Booking' part of the site does it link to the information that you've posted. It has a terms and conditions but it isn't clear that the Protection which is refundable by ECR would not cover so many things. Even the rental company, Royal Car Hire, said that I'd be covered. I feel like I've bought insurance that isn't fit for purpose and doesn't insure!

Any advice on next moves or options?

Thank you.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer the route to go down is a formal complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at no cost to you
  • Bigmatt0811
    Options
    It would appear that they are based in Greece, therefore the FOS protection would not apply in this case. For the FOS Protection to apply they would have to be an FCA authorised firm.

I don't think they are in this case.
    Quentin wrote: »
    Whenever you are unhappy with your insurer the route to go down is a formal complaint in line with their complaints procedure

Then if you are unhappy with the reply or they ignore you for 8 weeks you can escalate to the FOS for their adjudication all at no cost to you
  • adamtheanimator
    Options
    Thank you both for replying. I actually thought that their head office was in Switzerland, but it's difficult to tell where the company is registered.

From their website it states that complaints should be sent to the email I sent mine to, within 28 days of the rental. I have done this and continue to say I am not happy with the hidden charges and terms, but they have said they consider this case closed. I have asked for more information on certain aspects and they just ignore these questions when replying. So I'd like to escalate this but am really unsure how.

Any advice would be appreciated. Just looking at their website they really are pushing the 'no hidden charges' angle, yet they clearly do!
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Did you pay by credit card? Which one? Visa/mastercard/Amex?
    Was the transaction more than £100?

If so have you considered disputing the transaction with section 75 (statutory) and holding your cc provider jointly liable?

Expectto provide chapter and verse on your pursuit of the company.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Seems to be a case of saying one thing in one place and something rather different in another.

"In the unlucky event of theft or damage to the rental car, the local car rental provider will charge you the first portion of the claim, up to the excess amount (usually 3% to 8% of the value of the car).
    Maximum excess amounts are shown in ‘Terms & Price details- TAC’s’- on the car selection page during the booking procedure.
    EconomyCarRentals will refund you this cost."

appears to mean that you should receive at least 400 GBP.

Isnt there a European small claims procedure ?
  • adamtheanimator
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    Did you pay by credit card? Which one? Visa/mastercard/Amex?
    Was the transaction more than £100?

If so have you considered disputing the transaction with section 75 (statutory) and holding your cc provider jointly liable?

Expectto provide chapter and verse on your pursuit of the company.

I paid by Masstercard so I've been in touch with them, and am collating details. But I'm not sure it'll go through to be honest. The issue is really with ECR and not RCH, as far as I can tell.
  • adamtheanimator
    Options
    Seems to be a case of saying one thing in one place and something rather different in another.

"In the unlucky event of theft or damage to the rental car, the local car rental provider will charge you the first portion of the claim, up to the excess amount (usually 3% to 8% of the value of the car).
    Maximum excess amounts are shown in ‘Terms & Price details- TAC’s’- on the car selection page during the booking procedure.
    EconomyCarRentals will refund you this cost."

appears to mean that you should receive at least 400 GBP.

Isnt there a European small claims procedure ?

YES thank you! Someone else who agrees it is confusing and looks like I should receive a refund! :D This is the root of the issue: when I state something that seems clear and obvious, they just send some other text that seems to contradict it. They seem to have no intention of paying.

If anyone knows of the procedure for going through with this to contest the amount, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks all again for the advice so far.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport