Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• To answer why the credit was so large - I have no smart meter.

I have an illness and providing my meter readings have been erratic due to that - things aren't always what they seem for people - there is often a reason for things - please be mindful of this when commenting on posts

BUT at the point the 400 credit was confirmed at the time the meter readings were also confirmed as received and considered in that same calculation
  • @ Al Ross

The process used in my Ombudsman case was as follows:-

1. After the initial complaint was made the ombudsman give both you and the supplier approximately 8 weeks to submit any documentary evidence to the case file.
    2. After 8 weeks the Ombudsman assigns a case officer and conducts it's investigation taking into account any evidence provided by both parties to the case file.
    3. The Ombudsman then notifies you of it's findings and gives you 14 days to either accept or reject their decision. At the same time it gives the supplier 14 days in which to object and produce any new evidence showing that there is a significant error in the facts which makes a material difference or produce significant new evidence which may make a material difference, along with an explanation of why that information was not previously made available.
    4. After this 14 day period if you have accepted and the supplier has not objected the proposal becomes Ombudsman's final decision. However if you have accepted and the supplier has objected the new evidence and explanation provided by the supplier is then reviewed before the Ombudsman announces it's final decision.
    Luckily the evidence I provided in my case was overwhelming and Iresa didn't have a leg to stand on so they never participated or objected.

I think you need to remember that this is Iresa we are talking about and the chances of them being capable of challenging the Ombudsman's decision in a meaningful and coherent way are extremely slim so I wouldn't worry unduly. I would guess that it's probably just a final 'nothing to lose' throw of the dice attempt by Iresa to limit their losses and the Ombudsman's original findings will no doubt be upheld.

After waiting all this time another 30 days won't hurt you will it. :D

If I were to make one observation of the Ombudsman complaint process it would be that the whole process takes far too long. Why on earth they allow 8 weeks for the submission of evidence is totally ridiculous particularly when some suppliers don't even respond or offer any evidence at all. It's just an unnecessary 8 week delay and the time allowed for evidence submission could easily be amended to 2 weeks. :mad:
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 September 2017 at 10:46AM
    Just had a phone call from the ombudsman. His findings are that they fell short of what is expected and required. Written apology and £75 award. Now comes the 14 day waiting period.

During the chat it transpired that maybe E.On were not totally blameless here, Iresa seem to have sent paperwork but failed to chase a response. Perhaps once the ombudsman was on their back they chased things up.
  • I have been with Iresa since January. I had recently moved home so was unsure of consumption and Iresa have set it too high.

I am currently £340 in credit. This month I will be in £400 credit. I have been asking for 6 weeks via twitter to get £200 refunded leaving a buffer for winter. They agreed and passed it onto their accounts but after 4 messages they still have not credited my account.

I hope they do not go bust in the meantime.

Xx
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    This month I will be in £400 credit. ...I hope they do not go bust in the meantime.
    Not surprisingly there will be many people in this situation. I'm sure Iresa are finding these credits useful for paying all their fines but, joking aside, if (and when) Iresa go bust Ofgem nominate another company to manage our bills. I assume that all these creadits will be taken into account (or is that wishful thinking on my part?) but best thing to do is take regular (e.g. monthly after billing) snapshots of your account in cast they suddenly get deleted. Or leave Ireasa. Or stick it out. I'm going with the latter.
    Don't panic. It's shocking that things have got this bad.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Quite amusing really....I'm about £115 in credit with IRESA ,who have ignored my requests to reduce DD for leccy......on the other hand, I've had an email from my gas supplier who want to give me about half of my credit back .....altho' I reckon I'll need it unless we have an ultra mild Winter!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I have been with Iresa since January. I had recently moved home so was unsure of consumption and Iresa have set it too high.

I am currently £340 in credit. This month I will be in £400 credit. I have been asking for 6 weeks via twitter to get £200 refunded leaving a buffer for winter. They agreed and passed it onto their accounts but after 4 messages they still have not credited my account.

I hope they do not go bust in the meantime.

Xx

If a supplier fails, then your credit is 100% protected by the Ofgem Consumer Levy and it will be re-paid to you by the supplier appointed by Ofgem (Supplier of Last Resort).
  • Iresa owe me about £150 since July. Getting absolutely nowhere with them. Am I right in thinking I have to write a paper letter of complaint before going to Ombudsman?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Iresa owe me about £150 since July. Getting absolutely nowhere with them. Am I right in thinking I have to write a paper letter of complaint before going to Ombudsman?

Yes, you have to make a formal complaint (my advice would be to do it in writing). Ask Iresa either to re-pay your credit or to issue a deadlock letter. If they do the latter, you can refer the matter to The Energy Ombudsman immediately. If Iresa fails to respond to your complaint - or you are not happy with the response - you can refer the complaint to The Energy Ombudsman after 8 weeks. The alternative is to issue a Letter before Legal Action and recover your credit through the Small Claims Court.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    Iresa owe me about £150 since July. Getting absolutely nowhere with them. Am I right in thinking I have to write a paper letter of complaint before going to Ombudsman?
    Are you still with Iresa and that £150 is a summer credit? If so, relax and drink a beer. Otherwise
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/complain-about-your-gas-or-electricity-bill-or-supplier
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure