Experiences of claiming pip on mental health grounds.

Comments

• benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    densol wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with claiming benefits if you qualify under the rules and its important not to put off other people who read these forums either!

You don't think so?

There is a very interesting and enlightening thread on another part of this site. Maybe it would be of interest to you?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5215082

It deals with the needs of someone when thinking of claiming.
    Your views and attitude to the welfare state is well debated - maybe you should consider two things before saying that a disability = more money.
    1. What would you need the extra money for and would it help you live with the disability better,
    and
    2. Are you in such financial dire straights that you need to claim this extra money.
  • It is really no one else's business why an individual decides to claim a benefit that they feel they need.

It's the same with many things in life, it is no one else's business.
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    It is really no one else's business why an individual decides to claim a benefit that they feel they need.

It's the same with many things in life, it is no one else's business.

Have you missed the last couple of years when it has been exposed how much is being paid out in benefits in this country?
    Benefits that are being paid out to people who may have a moral right to them, but financially they don't need them?

As for it being no one else's business - I would agree - it is down to their own moral judgement. But however there is enough going on at the moment that apparently it IS your business if you know someone who may be cheating the system, and it is your moral duty to inform on them.

Seems that a lot of double standards are at play here.
  • cbrown372
    cbrown372 Posts: 1,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    benniebert wrote: »

and none more so than coming from you Andy, now as you allegedly have never claimed these benefits for this particular user name will you sod off and let the people who know something about it answer the questions.

Perhaps we can get the mental health team to airlift you to hospital soon as you sure as heck need it.
    Its not that we have more patience as we grow older, its just that we're too tired to care about all the pointless drama ;)
  • benniebert wrote: »
    Have you missed the last couple of years when it has been exposed how much is being paid out in benefits in this country?
    Benefits that are being paid out to people who may have a moral right to them, but financially they don't need them?

As for it being no one else's business - I would agree - it is down to their own moral judgement. But however there is enough going on at the moment that apparently it IS your business if you know someone who may be cheating the system, and it is your moral duty to inform on them.

Your posting this opinion on the wrong section of the forum. You need to take your opinion to the "discussion time" section.
  • immoral_angeluk
    immoral_angeluk Posts: 24,506 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I claimed pip about 18 months ago for chronic depression and anxiety/ocd. It took 9 months start to finish for my claim to go through and it was a living nightmare. They lost my first form (which had been completed by my then colleague at the CAB), so I had to do another. They then kept me hanging on with the threat of medicals for another 3 months before sending capita to do a home visit. The home visit lady was absolutely lovely in fairness to her, and was apparently an ex nurse? She asked questions which gave her answers to what she needed to know, rather than trying to catch me out. She also asked specific questions about my illness that were relevant to what she needed so in all it went well. 4 months later I was awarded enhanced daily living rate and eventually got the payments including backpay.
    When I claimed I made sure that I included all the details and any relevant letters, including a supporting letter from my support worker at the time from Mind.

Between claiming PIP and ESA at the same time, I can honestly say it was the worst 9 months of my life so far. All the stress, complexity and pressure all whilst battling with depression and anxiety nearly did me in. I broke down in tears when I checked my bank and saw that I'd been paid out of the blue. It was a huge relief.

Think I'm being reassessed again in 2016, so the hell will start all over again.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Thank you for sharing your experience immoral angel. Even though my DLA runs out in August, I still haven't received my invite to claim PIP.

I would just rather get it over with, but as people have said, it is taking months for their form to be looked at and assessed.

My partner has decided just to start filling in the form and send it off when the invite arrives. He joined the local carers association who advised him to do that too.

I'll have to discuss things with my go and care coordinator as I will need supporting evidence. I have just got to hope they will have the time to write it.
  • dcems
    dcems Posts: 187 Forumite
    I got nil points for my PIP. Having to put in for reconsideration. Maybe i didnt explain how everything affects me properly-idk-as i sent in around 15 pages of medical evidence.
  • billywilly
    billywilly Posts: 468 Forumite
    dcems wrote: »
    I got nil points for my PIP. Having to put in for reconsideration. Maybe i didnt explain how everything affects me properly-idk-as i sent in around 15 pages of medical evidence.

The 'medical evidence' is needed to prove that you fit one or more of the descriptors. The DWP are not interested in what is wrong with you, what medication you take, only how you can prove that a particular descriptor should fit you.
  • I know friends that I have been finding it difficult to receive the right help with their ESA and PIP. They found this website online and said it really helped them with getting the best advice on what to do.

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport