Multi Fuel Stove - Smoke

Options
Hi

I've just swapped out my 14 year old Tiger for an eco design (Defra 2022 compliant) Flavel Arundel XL stove. Lovely looking stove and seems more efficient (even though I've not used it that much).

However, this is where my love for this stove ends. Despite getting a good kindling fire going and following the manufacturers instructions to the letter, every time I open the door to refuel the stove, smoke leaks into the room.

I'm being very careful to crack the door open and wait 10-20 seconds to let the air pressure balance, not adding fuel on to flames and burning high quality seasoned wood (so far mostly kindling and a few heat logs). However, despite my best efforts the result is always the same. Smoke in the house.

I contacted Flavel Technical and they responded to state that this is normal. Smoke will leak into the house when the door is opened during refuelling, and that this is due to the restrictive design of the baffle which is needed to make the stove more efficient. I'm flabbergasted at their response tbh.

My old Tiger never gave off a whiff of smoke in the house and I used to poke and prod it every 30 mins!

Anyone else having similar issues with the newer eco design stoves?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's not something I have issues with on our Woodwarm Firegem, which has a shallow and wide firebox which might be prone to this. Provided there's enough air going in below and it's burning well, there's no smoke problem, and I don't faff about with special ways to open the door.

The only time we get smoke into the room, would be if I've carelessly lobbed a couple of logs into a slumbering or badly started fire and they haven't caught properly.

There's so many combinations of flue, flue length and fire that problems like this are hard to pin down, but it sounds like there's not enough draw. There's always enough draw on our fire, no matter what conditions are like outdoors, yet we only have 6m of flue.
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Has it got a bottom vent? If so open it before opening the door, it might do the trick.
  • poorlad
    poorlad Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 December 2019 at 6:27PM
    Options
    Yeah it has got a bottom vent and I always open it, before refuelling. Like I say I've followed the instructions in the user manual to the letter.

No I never faffed about opening the door in special ways on my older stove either. In fact quite the opposite.

The installers are coming round tomorrow, so we'll see what they say.

I just want to know if I'm being picky and that a smell of smoke is normal? Which is what Flavel are effectively saying.

Thanks for the replies.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The only time we get a whiff is when it's really still and high pressure outside and the kitchen extractor fan is running, otherwise it's fine.

It's a Mendip Churchill 5 Pedestal so it's up about a metre already which reduces the flue length to around 4.5m as we live in a bungalow.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • m40ttc
    Options
    Did you manager to sort this issue out. As I’ve got the same problem with mine. 
  • Sparkymark01
    Options
    m40ttc said:
    Hi m40ttc 
    I have spoken to the OP and unfortunately he has still got the problem. I have also just bought this stove and having similar problems. I am currently in conversation with the dealer and Flavel as I believe it is simply a bad design and is not fit for purpose therefore we are entitled to a refund or swap for a working stove. However I have actually managed to fix my stove by making a piece of metal and clamping it at the top and essentially making the door opening slightly smaller. If I don't get a refund and I keep the stove I will bolt this piece of metal in place, paint it black and use it like this. It actually looks fine and works well with this modification.
    I will keep you updated. 

Kind regards 
    Mark Salmon 
  • DN81
    DN81 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    m40ttc said:
    Hi m40ttc 
    I have spoken to the OP and unfortunately he has still got the problem. I have also just bought this stove and having similar problems. I am currently in conversation with the dealer and Flavel as I believe it is simply a bad design and is not fit for purpose therefore we are entitled to a refund or swap for a working stove. However I have actually managed to fix my stove by making a piece of metal and clamping it at the top and essentially making the door opening slightly smaller. If I don't get a refund and I keep the stove I will bolt this piece of metal in place, paint it black and use it like this. It actually looks fine and works well with this modification.
    I will keep you updated. 

Kind regards 
    Mark Salmon 
    Hi Mark how did you get on with the refund or you kept the burner and made the adjustment. 
  • DN81
    DN81 Posts: 4 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone I’m very interested how you got on with flavel arundel xl. I’m having exactly the same problem as above .
  • Sparkymark01
    Options
    Hey DN81 it seems there are a few of us now! which makes me think more and more that it is a design fault with the stove and not my flu or the other potential problem areas.  Unfortunately even with my own testing, my installers testing and the fact that there is now this forum with multiple complaints Flavel refuse to admit that there is a problem.
    Fortunately the supplier has now offered me a refund and will collect the stove although I will have to pay to have it removed and another one put back. I think I am going to go for a Hunter Herald Allure 5 Eco  which I have seen in person and looks great. I will keep you updated.
    Mark 
  • DN81
    Options
    Hi Sparkymark yes it seem like there is a few of us . I’m glad you have yours sorted . I’m in a process now trying to get my money back . We'll see . But after few days talking to my supplier I know it won’t be an easy one . 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback