Curve card retailer cashback

Hi all, I recently got a curve card. I’ve linked it with a credit card and was wondering if anyone has tried getting cash back at the till at retailers like Tesco, m&s etc Normally you can only get cash back with debit cards. I understand that there’s a 200£ monthly limit on ATM withdrawals but was wondering if a retailer transaction which was part cash back would be coded in a way that curve or the underlying credit card company could identify and block or charge extra fees for it.

Comments

• Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    but was wondering if a retailer transaction which was part cash back would be coded in a way that curve or the underlying credit card company could identify and block or charge extra fees for it.
    I don't know but, according to Schedule 2 of Curve's Terms of Service:
    Cashback/ cash advance not permitted
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    What has this got to do with stoozing?
  • Sorry please move to the appropriate area. Thanks.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry please move to the appropriate area. Thanks.

I have moved it to the general credit card section
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In some places you can get cashback using curve, on others you can't.

My local Morrisons allows it, whereas my local Co-op doesn't.

I think it depends how cashback is processed by the retailer. I thought that a debit card is a debit card and cashback is provided at the retailer's decresion, and nothing to do with if the card provider offers it - but not the case.

The couple of times I tried it at my local Co-op it caused confusion as they said they'd never seen a debit card before that didn't offer cashback.

Of course if this is an option the card provider can restrict, no "normal" debit card would want to prohibit it, and generally speaking banks are going to be all.in favour of a retailer providing a cash withdrawal service for one of their customers at zero cost rather than having to fork out for a cash machine withdrawal. Curve though, isn't normal.

As systems get updated and upgraded I imagine more retailers will not allow cashback with curve when "computer says no".

Where you can get cashback via curve, it is counted as a purchase so doesn't contribute to any monthly cash limits.
  • Curve is cashback enabled and I have used this function. These transactions show up in the app as ATM transactions so I presume no Curve Cash would be paid if you did this at Tesco or the like.
  • I rencetly tried to get £3.40 from Curve Cash Rewards. Set up app to Curve card, topped up Amazon for £3.40 and after two days transaction showed up on credit card I used last time. So Curve defaulted to previous card, instead of taking money from Cash Rewards.

Curve support said that I have to set it up to Curve Card, which I did. Didn't get any further response to that. Don't want to try again and spend another £3.40 from credit card, rather then spend money from Curve.

I hardly ever shop in store and it would be tricky to spend exactly £3.40, just to use this money.

Anyone else had problems with Curve defaulting to previous card when trying to use it for Amazon top up?
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    If the terminal sends an MCC code to Curve which is blanket prohibited, a declined response will be returned. However, if an MCC code is not blanket banned, the next decision lies with the card issuer who is being used in the background.

Whether or not an MCC code pertaining to a cash advance / cashback is used falls with the merchant.

NCR-enabled POS software RETAIL X used by two of the large supermarket brands in the UK perform a check on the EMV chip and if this is a green light; it generates two separate charges - one for the groceries, the other for cashback and thus two separate MCC codes.

You should set the expectation of not being able to use Curve to evade cash advance charges and interest on a credit card, as firstly this is prohibited and secondly there are mechanisms in place to ensure that all transactions are correctly identified, wherever possible.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    Most credit cards will allow you to withdraw cash via Curve and treat it as a purchase. Tesco and Natwest seem to be the main exceptions so far. Just use an ATM and don't bother with supermarket cashback.

This may change on 25 January.

Never had a problem with Curve cash. I use it to top up Oyster.
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I rencetly tried to get £3.40 from Curve Cash Rewards. Set up app to Curve card, topped up Amazon for £3.40 and after two days transaction showed up on credit card I used last time. So Curve defaulted to previous card, instead of taking money from Cash Rewards.

Curve support said that I have to set it up to Curve Card, which I did. Didn't get any further response to that. Don't want to try again and spend another £3.40 from credit card, rather then spend money from Curve.

I hardly ever shop in store and it would be tricky to spend exactly £3.40, just to use this money.

Anyone else had problems with Curve defaulting to previous card when trying to use it for Amazon top up?

I go shopping a few times a week so it's not an issue for me.
    But most shops will split a payment between more than one payment method, so you could ask them to take £3.40 from that card and then use another card/cash to pay the rest of the bill.

Mine is up to only £6.85 and I have never used it. What I do know is that you must keep the payment option set to the type you need until the payment is processed. So if it wasn't instant with the Amazon card that could explain it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure