Voluntary Redundancy and new job offer at the same time

Options
Last Friday I was informed my role was at risk and I could also put my name forward for VR. I was told I was going into a consultation process which will last for 30 days.

At pretty much the same time I received a phone call from a prospective new employer wanting to arrange job interview for a new role. Its a totally different company

I've had the interview today and things went pretty well. So if this company was to offer me this job would I still qualify for VR? My understanding is I would have to agree with the new employer to start my role after the consolation period.

Can I just then tell my existing employer I want to take VR because I will be starting a new role in 2020? Obviously this situation works well for my colleagues who are also at risk (nobody would actually lose their jobs) and I would obviously be lucky to have a significant payout.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JasonHand wrote: »

Can I just then tell my existing employer I want to take VR because I will be starting a new role in 2020? Obviously this situation works well for my colleagues who are also at risk (nobody would actually lose their jobs) and I would obviously be lucky to have a significant payout.

Employer could save themselves a significant payout if they know you are planning to leave anyway.
  • JasonHand
    Options
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    Employer could save themselves a significant payout if they know you are planning to leave anyway.

Thanks Caz, so you would recommend I just confirm I want to take VR and say nothing about a potential new job
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    JasonHand wrote: »

Can I just then tell my existing employer I want to take VR because I will be starting a new role in 2020?

Of course. But expect the offer of "voluntary redundancy" to be withdrawn very, very quickly.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Jox
    Jox Posts: 1,651 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, don't mention the new job at all.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh and don't tell colleagues/friends about the offer, it may trickle back to management
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Blatchford
    Options
    Oh and don't tell colleagues/friends about the offer, it may trickle back to management
    It trickles damned fast when references requests come in!
  • Vegastare
    Options
    Yep I would keep a tight lip on it.....but if you have some proof that you were advised of VR and 30 day period, and that the other job offer was after this(even if next day) ..... it could help if things got stroppy.

Happened to old colleague who's post was going - there had been informal notice of funding issue - so she looked at jobs got interview and offer of job - she was able to say she had interview and had accepted due to previous discussion regarding possible redundancy and the potential loss of job(which did happen). They gave her the redundancy. But it was not a case of VR.

But the fact that she had looked because of the discussions etc she had her redundancy pay.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They don't need to do 30 days consulting for those that want to take VR.

First rule is keep it VERY quiet till you have to let on.

Sus out the employers attitude and approach to these situations, many are reasonable some will pull any offer or withdraw redundancies.

Assess if they may be interested in early finishers.

Work out your place in the pecking order to try to assess if you would be on the list to be let go.
  • JasonHand
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I think its a case of keeping very quiet then.

The reference side of things is a concern. This is something which I was thinking about yesterday evening.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    What's your contractual notice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts