Reduced bargains and yellow stickers shopping

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 September 2019 at 1:37PM
    Some of you are so lucky.

It seems to me that yellow stickers are far less generous than they used to be. Tesco knock 10-20% off by mid-afternoon when previously it was 50%; Morrisons have been very disappointing recently and last week there was no reduced bread in Morrisons at all.

A mix of lower % reductions and better stock control by supermarkets meaning less to reduce?

Also Tesco have closed their 'counters' which used to be a good source of reduced stuff near the end of the day.

I've commented on this post before (suggesting donating to charity could be one reason for the fewer/poorer reductions). However I recently saw a Tesco advertisement which listed what they were doing to reduce food waste and it included having a "staff can take it away for free" [my wording] offer in their staff area. So which member of staff is going to mark down food which their co-workers can have for nothing if it is not sold to the public.?
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Mee wrote: »
    Just spotted in The Times (not my usual newspaper):

I read the article too in The Times which, incidentally, is my daily newspaper.:D

I shop in Waitrose very occasionally (generally to stock up on own brand baked beans which are great) and the meagre offerings that I see in their reduced section rarely if ever encourage me to buy anything. I know I can buy very similar things full price in Aldi for cheaper.

As for staff being trampled in the rush I've never seen more than a handful of people just looking at the YS stuff and walking away.

Maybe there is a time of day when hordes of nerds who know when the prices hit rock bottom descend and security is needed but I'm not privy to this. :)

Overall I think what's happening is that all the major SMs are desperately trying to cut costs hoping that their customers are too dim to notice the reduced customer service etc. It's not working.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,193 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    maman wrote: »
    I shop in Waitrose very occasionally (generally to stock up on own brand baked beans which are great) and the meagre offerings that I see in their reduced section rarely if ever encourage me to buy anything. I know I can buy very similar things full price in Aldi for cheaper.

As for staff being trampled in the rush I've never seen more than a handful of people just looking at the YS stuff and walking away.

Maybe there is a time of day when hordes of nerds who know when the prices hit rock bottom descend and security is needed but I'm not privy to this. :)

Overall I think what's happening is that all the major SMs are desperately trying to cut costs hoping that their customers are too dim to notice the reduced customer service etc. It's not working.

The above is also my W8rose experience, plus a lot more SMs are donating to charities now there is a more organised method of doing it
    A charity I volunteer for receives surplus fresh food in this way, which in turn helps feed our clients as freshly cooked lunches
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • I've commented on this post before (suggesting donating to charity could be one reason for the fewer/poorer reductions). However I recently saw a Tesco advertisement which listed what they were doing to reduce food waste and it included having a "staff can take it away for free" [my wording] offer in their staff area. So which member of staff is going to mark down food which their co-workers can have for nothing if it is not sold to the public.?

Do you begrudge supermarket workers from getting a few perks like left over food on it's sell by date?

I'm so glad I don't work in retail anymore, the one major problem with that was dealing with the public.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,568 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Do you begrudge supermarket workers from getting a few perks like left over food on it's sell by date?

I'm so glad I don't work in retail anymore, the one major problem with that was dealing with the public.

I don't begrudge them at all:). They've been in the firing line as their bosses try to cut back on staffing and customer service. I know I've complained often in Sainsburys about the faulty credit card machines that need attention, the increase in self service tills and the much reduced customer service desks. And that's just in the last fortnight :oIt's a cheap way of trying to keep their hard done by staff on board.
  • caroc
    caroc Posts: 935 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Yesterday a local M & S foodstore had reduced their packs of bananas to 20p. As these are on a stand away from the other fruit and in a quiet area there were stacks. This was only 1:30. I bought 20 bananas for 80p. I've already made Banana and Walnut bread in the B/M and plan to make smoothies later.
    Also they had reduced their 500g fresh Tiramisu from £2.80 to £1.01 and that is dated 26 November.
    Still virtually alcohol free since 4/1/15. (10 Xmas/ New Year/Birthday drinks)
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a pound in weight. Target 13 lbs weight loss. 18.5lbs lost 2nd May - 28 September.
  • Dee_Best
    Dee_Best Posts: 152 Forumite
    I never find bargains like that, I seem to find either "blown" packaging with dubious contents or the weird stuff that nobody ever wants.
    Mind you, I don't live close to a major supermarket to see these deals & the small Lidl which I'm nearest to is often half-empty of stock no matter when you visit.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    caroc wrote: »
    Also they had reduced their 500g fresh Tiramisu from £2.80 to £1.01 and that is dated 26 November.

Oops, someone had misread that label :)
  • Our local Tesco has a large fridge for staff to use 'Out back of store' Reduced counter food is taken for last reductions on a Sunday and most does not reappear as staff are having it for nothing. After 3.30 on a Sunday they then take out of date meat which is still on counters to reduce which again does not reappear. Customers are not getting a look in. Wonder what Tesco's wastage figures are in this store.Cashiers on till say they are aware and do not get a chance to take advantage of this freebie.They say the managers do not care.
    Also staff pass bags of reduced to friends who are waiting near by. May be family who knows.
  • laserline wrote: »
    Our local Tesco has a large fridge for staff to use 'Out back of store' Reduced counter food is taken for last reductions on a Sunday and most does not reappear as staff are having it for nothing. After 3.30 on a Sunday they then take out of date meat which is still on counters to reduce which again does not reappear. Customers are not getting a look in. Wonder what Tesco's wastage figures are in this store.Cashiers on till say they are aware and do not get a chance to take advantage of this freebie.They say the managers do not care.
    Also staff pass bags of reduced to friends who are waiting near by. May be family who knows.

Shock horror on staff getting first dips on the reduced bargains. I don't blame them. Working with the public is a right ballache and I glad I don't do it anymore.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback