PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Royal Mail redirection - is it worth it?

Comments

• freddie2
    freddie2 Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper
    Silly question, but as someone with an unusual surname who is marrying someone with a 'normal surname' what happens if mr and mrs smith sell to mr and Mrs smith?
    This happened to us. We did not use the service but the people we bought from did, so they got all our mail, then they contacted Royal Mail and they redirected all their mail to us! Luckily they moved locally!
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    As others have said i got a redirection for a year to make sure Christmas and birthdays​ were covered. Even people you've told may not update so still needed.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • jeanzbeanz
    jeanzbeanz Posts: 58 Forumite
    Stormcloud - thank you for your reply and what a BRILLIANT surname!!
    Thanks everyone for your input, I have now set up redirection :)
  • steph2901
    steph2901 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I recently moved and paid for 3 months redirection, I think it's worth doing so that nothing goes to the old house while I update everyone.
  • penguingirl
    penguingirl Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    We paid for it, although it annoyed me as we have different surnamed so twice the price. We did 3 months but I genuinely only remember about 2 things coming through. I think it depends on how much post you get (we are paperless for a lot of stuff, only bank with one organisation etc) and how long you've lived there. I guess for piece of mind and in the grand scheme it's worth it. We still get mail to our vendors and loads of previous tenants 2 years on and just return it all to sender- it has definitely reduced over time.
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If anything is amiss you can complain to Royal Mail, and if you're not satisfied with their final response, complaint to Postal Redress Service (POSTRS).

Have come across this horror story about Royal Mail messing-up three re-directs of one customer. He's said:
    The lack of understanding and service from Royal Mail has been unbelievable and most importantly (despite the hours of wasted time and £150-plus I have paid), the redirections still do not work.

After been given a proper run-around, with hours of time wasted, ROyal Mail has offered him £150 as a goodwill payment (initially they had only offered £100). Seems it's well worth contacting a consumer champion if you cannot get it resolved via ROyal Mail Customer Services.

I really hope this is/was a one-off (although it does say "We've had a huge number of complaints over the years about the "hit and miss' service from Royal Mail redirection.").

Also, hope that the service has improved since 2013.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    OceanSound wrote: »
    If anything is amiss you can complain to Royal Mail, and if you're not satisfied with their final response, complaint to Postal Redress Service (POSTRS).

Have come across this horror story about Royal Mail messing-up three re-directs of one customer. He's said:

After been given a proper run-around, with hours of time wasted, ROyal Mail has offered him £150 as a goodwill payment (initially they had only offered £100). Seems it's well worth contacting a consumer champion if you cannot get it resolved via ROyal Mail Customer Services.

I really hope this is/was a one-off (although it does say "We've had a huge number of complaints over the years about the "hit and miss' service from Royal Mail redirection.").

Also, hope that the service has improved since 2013.

Whilst not perfect,that was 5 years ago.
    A LOT has changed in those 5 years with regards to customer complaints,redirections etc.
  • custardy wrote: »
    Whilst not perfect,that was 5 years ago.
    A LOT has changed in those 5 years with regards to customer complaints,redirections etc.

Fingers crossed it has.

I did a re-direct donkeys years back when I bought my first house and it went somewhat wrong - as some of my post got accidentally re-directed on to the people I'd bought that house from.

A nuisance of itself - and made worse by the fact that it mucked up the fact I was holding onto a bit of the mail for the previous owners of that house to come and pick up personally (during the course of which they'd been told to pay me for bits that were officially included in the house sale in writing - but they'd stolen them and taken them with them).

But it was many years back - and hopefully the Post Office is no longer mucking things up with inefficiency.

So I'd still redirect now - even though we all get a lot less mail these days (courtesy of much of it coming to us by email instead) - but be keeping an eye out in case of Post Office inefficiency.
  • We just took out 12 months...didn't seem like a huge cost considering the benefits. We found that the first 2 weeks were shaky - there was a lot of stuff slipping through going back to the old house. After that it got much better but i am only assuming this as our buyers haven't forwarded anything to us or let us know we had mail...

Down sides to the service:

- we only used Mr and Mrs Jungle so the odd stray that comes to my maiden name misses this
    - We have limited companies and neither of these have our surname in their name so assuming anything addressed to that will change

I really think they should make it a household thing and accept more than one name.

Since we took it out there have been loads of things i wouldn't have thought of: cat microchip/insurance, dental reminders, car stuff and a couple of insurances. Really glad i did it and would use the service again
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Fingers crossed it has.

I did a re-direct donkeys years back when I bought my first house and it went somewhat wrong - as some of my post got accidentally re-directed on to the people I'd bought that house from.

A nuisance of itself - and made worse by the fact that it mucked up the fact I was holding onto a bit of the mail for the previous owners of that house to come and pick up personally (during the course of which they'd been told to pay me for bits that were officially included in the house sale in writing - but they'd stolen them and taken them with them).

But it was many years back - and hopefully the Post Office is no longer mucking things up with inefficiency.

So I'd still redirect now - even though we all get a lot less mail these days (courtesy of much of it coming to us by email instead) - but be keeping an eye out in case of Post Office inefficiency.

Well for starters,its not the Post office
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport