I've just discovered an old Army mate has died.

amistupid
amistupid Posts: 55,997 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
edited 20 November 2015 at 2:18PM in UK armed forces MoneySaving
I posted this in Discussion Time but it was suggested someone here maybe able to help.
amistupid wrote: »
About forty years ago, whilst doing basic training in the Army, a good pal and fellow recruit, asked me to be best man at his wedding, I was honoured to oblige.

Only weeks later, he and his bride got a UK posting and I was posted abroad. We lost contact with each other.

Last night I was watching the Peep Show which was about a wedding and the role of best man. This made me think of my mate and his wife and I wondered how they were doing.

I'm not very good on the computer but decided to Google him.

I was deeply saddened when the search resulted in a picture of his headstone. It revealed that, whilst still in the Army, he'd passed away twenty three years ago. He was only in his mid thirties.

I also discovered he had children, who tragically lost their mum only a few years later.

Although we lost contact so long ago I now can't stop thinking about him.

I wonder if his kids, who'll now probably be in their thirties, have photos of their parent's wedding, and the ugly young squaddie their dad picked to be his best man.

I feel intrigued to find out more about what happened to him, especially as he died during the time of one of our 'foreign campaigns'.

Would you dig further or leave things be?
In memory of Chris Hyde #867

Comments

• Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Your call, but it may be a huge comfort for his surviving family that you knew him and could tell them about him.

There's a lot of Veterans groups out there (I work with Veterans in a Therapeutic role) and someone always knows someone and can add to the situation.

Sorry for your loss.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • jennyred
    jennyred Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi - I just saw your message and it sounds just like my dad and I wondered if it was him you are talking about? His name was Dave Hawksby and he died aged 38 from cancer and my mum Angie died 6 years later aged 36 from cancer. I am now 35. If so then please get in touch. Jenny.
  • Wow - I hope you are two halves of the same story.

Jenny - you should be able to send a Private Message (PM) that might send an email alert to amistupid, I'll try, too, and hope he checks this thread.

Fingers crossed for you
    Mortgage Free thanks to ill-health retirement
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    23 years. It's a lomg long time isn't it.
    Still i think the kids would love to hear some of the stories you must have. If they were only yound when their Dad died they probably don't have the memories.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • amistupid
    amistupid Posts: 55,997 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    jennyred wrote: »
    Hi - I just saw your message and it sounds just like my dad and I wondered if it was him you are talking about? His name was Dave Hawksby and he died aged 38 from cancer and my mum Angie died 6 years later aged 36 from cancer. I am now 35. If so then please get in touch. Jenny.

I have contacted Jenny. Unfortunately, although the circumstances were very similar, it was not her dad I was referring to. I expressed my deepest sorrow, at the loss, at such an early age, of her parents.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    amistupid wrote: »
    I have contacted Jenny. Unfortunately, although the circumstances were very similar, it was not her dad I was referring to. I expressed my deepest sorrow, at the loss, at such an early age, of her parents.

It's a shame that it wasn't Jenny's dad, but perhaps her reaction to your post - that she wanted you to get in touch - helps to make up your mind about your original question about whether to follow up on your friend.
  • jennyred
    jennyred Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you everyone - some many similarities its spooky. I have messaged amistupid back today. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure