Anyone playing Destiny?

Comments

• Started playing it but the game keeps disconnecting me at a certain point of the game, if you do a google its a common problem and it looks like Bungie/Destiny aren't doing anything about it
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • I'm enjoying it a lot. Part of that is almost certainly because I'm part of a group of six friends that have all bought it, so at any given time there's usually at least one other person online that I can play with. As a co-operative game it is compelling, especially as the Strikes are genuinely difficult and require a significant amount of teamwork and co-ordination. I've always enjoyed games like Diablo where the game's hook is based on progression, and to have that combined with gameplay that is fun and requires skill was always going to be something that appeals to me.

That said, whilst I expect I will be playing it for a fair while yet, I recognise that it is clearly far from perfect, and whilst it has huge potential it is not the finished article by any stretch. The gameplay is slick and enjoyable, as you'd expect from Bungie, but in the coming months I expect more to be added in terms of substance, either by way of free updates or by way of the two confirmed DLC packs.

Supposedly it is the first game in what will be a series, and I think the description I've seen of it as a blueprint for a much better game is pretty accurate. I read an article that compared it to the original Assassin's Creed. In other words, it is enjoyable and has great potential, but is flawed and could be improved upon significantly. As happened with Assassin's Creed II, I expect the sequel will be a huge leap forward as and when it comes around. There is a small chance the DLC will do that, but it's more likely it will be the sequel.

Conclusion? If you've got a few friends to play it with I think it's well worth a purchase, and is even if you don't mind playing co-op with random players, which is very easy to do. But if you're looking at this more as a solo venture I'd avoid it; there are better options out there in terms of single player experiences. The story is pretty weak and there's not much immersion factor beyond the enjoyment of playing with other people, so even though you can play it alone I wouldn't recommend it.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    AlecEiffel wrote: »
    Is it the fact that it's online only that puts you off? Apparently it's still soloable, though I think you do run across other players going about their business.

The install size doesn't bug me. My 120GB PS3 slim has never had less than about 70 GB free! (I generally only keep installs and saves for games I'm yet to complete. If I want to replay I reinstall (so many games yet to play and too little time these days I rarely get a chance to replay)).

i dont want to be having to connect to the net everytime i play the single player campaign. its a pain. the hard drive on my 80gb ps3 got filled to capacity. we now have a 500gb. 500gb for a ps4 is not big enough as i noticed last years cod needs 49gb. this seems common on ps4 games. uninstalling and reinstalling game saves etc to make room would be a pain.
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 517
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thank you AlecEiffel thats really helpful, i think the £80 one sounds good
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • Carl31
    Carl31 Posts: 2,616
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    RobTang wrote: »
    I'm finding it quite dull actually it's pretty but it's just not interesting. The combat it's pretty good but really it feels like a generic shooter with some extra char persistence, it kind of tries to make you play consistently but not because it's inherently fun but more just to advance a bit further.

I would say its lie a cross between halo and borderlands if you stripped away everything that made either fun or interesting.

Havnt played too much of it yet but def but I don't think this will be one of this years gaming highlights

I played the beta and felt something similar, was like a poor halo rip off. I found it a bit boring.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    RobTang wrote: »
    I'm finding it quite dull actually it's pretty but it's just not interesting. The combat it's pretty good but really it feels like a generic shooter with some extra char persistence, it kind of tries to make you play consistently but not because it's inherently fun but more just to advance a bit further.

I would say its lie a cross between halo and borderlands if you stripped away everything that made either fun or interesting.

Havnt played too much of it yet but def but I don't think this will be one of this years gaming highlights

That sums it up pretty well, so far the game is actually making me more excited for the new Borderlands game. It seems a shame as some of the foundations are good, I like a lot of the design and the core gun gameplay is good as you say but it just feels there's not much else to the game whereas on Borderlands 2 I found it hard to pull myself away as there's such a huge variety of items and weapons to constantly experiment with.

John
  • i dont want to be having to connect to the net everytime i play the single player campaign. its a pain.
    Why not just set the console to automatically connect to the internet when you turn it on? I've always done that with the internet enabled consoles, and imagine most others do the same.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Why not just set the console to automatically connect to the internet when you turn it on? I've always done that with the internet enabled consoles, and imagine most others do the same.

when i do connect it that involves taking the console into my room where the net is and connecting it via ethernet cable. even going wireless involves turning the modem on and then the router on. i've never been bothered about wireless but my dad got a smart tv and wanted it, that is why we now also have a router. it was a pain getting it to work with the tv. couldnt get it to work with his bluray player and it only works with his sky box thanks to the wps button. i've never tried to connect the console wirelessly so these types of problems may not happen. however if that works fine there is still the turning on of the modem and router every time. this would be more annoying if i want to play downstairs considering the net is in my room.
  • when i do connect it that involves taking the console into my room where the net is and connecting it via ethernet cable. even going wireless involves turning the modem on and then the router on. i've never been bothered about wireless but my dad got a smart tv and wanted it, that is why we now also have a router. it was a pain getting it to work with the tv. couldnt get it to work with his bluray player and it only works with his sky box thanks to the wps button. i've never tried to connect the console wirelessly so these types of problems may not happen. however if that works fine there is still the turning on of the modem and router every time. this would be more annoying if i want to play downstairs considering the net is in my room.
    Perhaps this is just me thinking that the general populous is more technologically advanced than it actually is, but I haven't had a separate modem and router since about 2005, and even then I wouldn't have to turn the modem on every time I wanted to use the internet. That harks back to the dark days of 56k modems when using the internet meant putting the phone line out of action. In my house, my parents' house, and even my grandparents' house, everything from phones to laptops to printers is automatically connected to the internet via the router, which is always on. I (perhaps ignorantly) thought that to be more or less the norm nowadays. Broadband is now exceptionally cheap and most deals come with a free router that has an integrated modem. Given your situation I can understand why you see connecting to the internet as a pain, but chances are you could make your setup significantly more efficient and pay very little, if anything, extra in the process.
  • Andy_89
    Andy_89 Posts: 245 Forumite
    I am enjoying it - I think if you play it for 17 hours at a time you will get bored of it. I have played in 2-3 hour 'segments'

Tried the moon (level 12) strike mission with two pals, of which we are all level 12 with decent weapons. 2 hours later we'd put about 50% damage on the 'boss' and died multiple times.

The strike missions are hard and quite demoralising but in general I do like the open world feel to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure