PS4 Vs XBox One

Comments

• im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2013 at 6:52PM
    I'm a bit meh over these new consoles, but then I'm not much of a 'gamer' there's literally only a couple I play on my xbox slim, and even those I play infrequently.

I mainly use it for movie streaming by Netflix etc and watching catch up TV, playing music etc, blu-ray and all that doesn't interest me really, as the majority of things I stream, I don't think I've bought a new dvd for a couple of years now.

If I was to upgrade, I'd probably go for the ps4, mainly because I don't like how the xbox needs an always on connection, even though I have the means to have it on like that, I just don't like the idea of it, and the fact they have made it harder to swap / sell / exchange games.

Microsoft really has shot itself in the foot with this one, yes it won't put off the hardcore people, but those such as myself are probably going to give it a wide berth
  • AlecEiffel
    AlecEiffel Posts: 874 Forumite
    PS4 for me. Offers better VFM, I enjoy Sony exclusives more than MS's, whilst I play online I play against strangers so don't have to worry about which console my mates have, and the Xbox One is being limited in too many ways.

More than anything really it's a case that the new Xbox has nothing to draw me to it and lots to push me away.
  • podd86
    podd86 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Have been using a 360 the last few years but am going go for the ps4, too many restrictions on the Xbox one for me.
    Anyone know where best to pre order for launch, or has that ship sailed?
  • Lagoon
    Lagoon Posts: 934 Forumite
    I've been saying for a long time that I would never get the new Xbox. In fact, I don't even want it in my house. I don't like that the Kinect camera and microphone are essential, and that it has to stay connected to the Internet. Paranoid or not, I don't trust a constantly connected camera and microphone. I've also said that I didn't agree with all of the game sharing/reselling limitations.

OH got very defensive, as he's loyal to the Xbox. Since E3 he's admitted that it sounds terrible, and the PS4 much better. He has, however, said that he's still loyal to the Xbox and does still want it.

I think I may just avoid the lounge from now on.
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No "neither" option?

I was a big Xbox fan before i switched to PC, i was holding out from getting a 360 pending the release of the next gen stuff. Sony haven't interested me, and neither have Microsoft. I'm on the fence as to whether to get anything at all, I'll wait to see how they are when i know some people who've got them and can give a proper opinion.
    Professional Data Monkey

• Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think ultimately I will get both consoles which would be a first for me as only had one or another but still looking at ps4 first.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We have a PS3 and a Wii U downstairs and will definitely be getting a PS4. Our two oldest boys have Xbox 360's but will NOT be having an Xbox one, ever.

I don't like that they won't be able to share the same game! I don't like the the fact that you HAVE to cnnect every 24hrs to the internet, and I most definitely DO NOT want a constantly connected microphone and camera in my house!!!!

I haven't pre-ordered a PS4, I am waiting for a release date and will decide whether to pre-order or just go and buy it when it hits the shops.

I must say I am disappointed that Sony have stipulated that you have to have a playstation plus account to play online :( We have one anyway, have done for years, but to make it compulsory is following in Microsoft's footsteps.

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • Steve-o
    Steve-o Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Microsoft is going to lose a lot of current customers by having to connect to the internet once every 24 hours. I have friends who never connect their Xbox to the net, so I can see them going for the PS4 instead. Not being able to lend games, or sell/buy games on Ebay is also going to lose them customers.
    I have no signature.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Most likely I'll be PS4 if/when I plump for the new ones! Microsoft really couldn't have done a worse job of PR for their new machine if they tried. It looks the business but I have massive reservations about it...

• Price, far too high & unjustifiable.
    • Kinect, I do not have the space nor inclination to use this piece of dross, nor do I intend to do anything about that, I already have a Wii which I personally haven't used in 3 years.
    • Lack of clarity over pre-owned, I frankly refuse to pay for a second license & ultimately have seen the bad publicity such moves have had in the past.
    • Connectivity, while I'm almost constantly connected to the internet I don't like the fact that if for whatever reason it goes down on some end, the machine turns into a paperweight. I remember the PSN outtage a couple of years ago, it's only a matter of time before the same happens to Xbox Live.
    • Lack of any games announced which make me go "wow" and are exclusive, I mean Halo was passable 10 years ago, now it's just a spray and pray which looks pretty but ultimately is limited in it's appeal.
    Playstation on the other hand has similar spec, similar style, no enforced use of camera, no draconian DRM (although still possibility of online passes) AND fixing to be a better all rounder games machine. Then there's the fact it's significantly cheaper & region free, which is handy for someone like me who likes things which are difficult to acquire (baseball games for instance).

But I was massively turned off when I saw the comments of Microsoft's head of interactive entertainment division which were arguably the most condescending and disrespectful comments I've seen for a while. "we have a product for people who aren't able to get some sort of connectivity, it's called Xbox 360" (http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/mattrick-downplays-always-on-xbox-one-concerns-says-those-without-internet-should-get-a-360/0117097) Sorry, but that's the point where they essentially said we don't care about your opinion, stick to the old stuff if you don't like it.

As a former games retailer, Xbox One so far looks like a mission in brand destruction and a very successful one at that because I can guarantee that retailers will be less than chuffed with them. Doesn't take much to severely impact a console, especially when it's already got a lot going against it, but when you annoy retail, well, that's difficult to recover from!
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • brutus1983
    brutus1983 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Ps4 for me but only becuase I've got a vita and ps4 games will be mandatory to be remote play so the missis can still watch tv but won't be getting one till its been out for a year and a price drop don't have enough time to play on computer games to justify spending 350 on a console plus extra games I'm a bit of a cheapskate these days I pay 40 notes a year and enjoy the free ps3 and vita games off ps plus plus I'm starting back college this year for a hnc so working full time plus 3 kids and college won't have time play angry birds on my phone let alone play on the ps4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure