Amazon Prime

Comments

• tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    ...I check every tick box before I purchase just to be sure and on occasions they still try it on and sign me up for Prime.

Which is generally good advice for any online purchases - don’t pay until you’re confident you’re getting only what you went there to buy! Up-selling at the checkout was common practice long before the internet (e.g. extended warranty, stamps, discount cards, etc).

I have Amazon Prime by choice but still get tired of the “ads”.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Just a thought.....if they are so sneaky, underhand, etc etc - why do you still give them your custom?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I Even now when I buy from Amazon I check every tick box before I purchase just to be sure and on occasions they still try it on and sign me up for Prime.
    Well I have been buying from Amazon for years and they have never ever tried to sign without me knowing or actually signed me up for Prime on any occasion.

I do use free trials of Prime when offered but always make sure they are cancelled before they start to charge.
  • I completely agree. Both I and my partner have been caught out by their checkout page....only once mind! But surely that's why it's been designed that way?

Of course then there is the delivery selection, where they try to sucker you again, by offering more than 1 'Free delivery' option, one of which actually signs you up to Prime! Made worse, if you've bought multiple items from different sellers!

However, as previously illustrated, i'm sure Prime suits some people. If for some reason they are housebound. Or perhaps they have no car, and they aren't in close proximity to suitable shops. Or ...maybe they just cant find the energy to go shopping.

But to use that as an excuse to demonize anyone who points out something from which a number of people have obviously suffered, ....what can i say, naughty naughty, very naughty.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2019 at 3:07PM
    Are you not doing the same in demonizing those who are Not housebound or have no car etc . But manage to use Amazon multiple times without getting this ( i did not sign up to prime problem ).

PS a lot of stuff on Amazon cannot be purchased through what you call shops , about 70% of my orders fit that category .
  • hareng
    hareng Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Rarely use Amazon think last time was 4 months ago until 3 days ago.

I was offered free 30 day trial and knew what i was signing up for. Goods came next day, return process was collected yesterday, i still have Prime and its far superior to Netflix in picture quality and choosing what to watch.
    Will be cancelling in 25 days after having a purge on better Series Amazon offers.
    Its easy no questions asked to cancelthey always honour.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Use Amazon prime and purchase goods off them most weeks. Never had a problem for at least the last ten years and any faulty goods have always been refunded or replaced.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    hareng wrote: »
    Rarely use Amazon think last time was 4 months ago until 3 days ago.

I was offered free 30 day trial and knew what i was signing up for. Goods came next day, return process was collected yesterday, i still have Prime and its far superior to Netflix in picture quality and choosing what to watch.
    Will be cancelling in 25 days after having a purge on better Series Amazon offers.
    Its easy no questions asked to cancelthey always honour.

You can cancel it now and it will run on to the expiry date. Saves you having to remember to go back in 25 days.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Are you not doing the same in demonizing those who are Not housebound or have no car etc . But manage to use Amazon multiple times without getting this ( i did not sign up to prime problem ).

PS a lot of stuff on Amazon cannot be purchased through what you call shops , about 70% of my orders fit that category .

Good heavens, Not at all! I'm simply pointing out, that because you find something useful, does not mean others have not experienced problems with it. The two things are completely seperate.

In fact, i think it's quite bizarre, that some people on here, are so determined to state just how useful Amazon Prime is to them in this thread. Because I'm afraid that i really do not see how that is relevant in any way shape or form, to what the OP was talking about.

Perhaps you would also like to tell us just how useful your teapot, or cutlery is?

P.S. Everything i've ever bought on Amazon can purchased from other sources.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    In fact, i think it's quite bizarre, that some people on here, are so determined to state just how useful Amazon Prime is to them in this thread. Because I'm afraid that i really do not see how that is relevant in any way shape or form, to what the OP was talking about.
    But no one is forced to sign up to prime which is what the op is claiming. Its down to lack of due diligence that this happens. There's enough threads littered through out this forum about people who have not read T & C's and then whine about it after wards.

If people read what was in front of them before they clicked the buy button then there would a lot less people moaning. And yes I have on and off been a member of prime and used amazon for what seems like for ever. But I have always made a conscious decision to sign up to prime. And have never been forced to signed up to prime as some people claim. When purchasing goods.

I am no longer a prime member, so just did a trial order and no where did it say I must have prime. Gave the price options of with and without prime, and yes the option to carry on with out prime is smaller than the button to sign up to prime. But I was not made to have prime.

I really do think that internet shopping is not for everyone. And some of the people who whine and whinge about stuff like this, might like to take a step back and reflect on what really happened during the purchasing process. And then realise it was not quite as they thought it was.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family