How are student loans funded?

Hi Martin,

Can you tell me where does the money for student loans come from?

I’m guessing private finance organisations?
If so, who is footing the bill of the unpaid millions of pounds of student loans?
Thanks.

Comments

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 November 2019 at 9:52PM
    agray2812 wrote: »
    Hi Martin,

Can you tell me where does the money for student loans come from?

I’m guessing private finance organisations?
    If so, who is footing the bill of the unpaid millions of pounds of student loans?
    Thanks.

It comes from taxpayer's money. I and many people in this MSE forum are also contributing to it.
  • Bizarre, tax payers provide it, then their own money is lent back to them to study, then written off when they can't pay it back....
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,955 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    The money always came from the taxpayers/ government. Once the number of students (and therefore the cost) escalated, student loans were introduced so those receiving would contribute more directly.

It is written off for the majority of students, but it isn't money that was coming from the private sector. It's all paper accounting.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills