Beware Curry's Pricing

I have recently purchased a TV from Curry's on a limited time 'must end Monday' deal. Less than two week after the purchase I logged on to find that the same set was now being advertised at a base price that was £200 less than the 'deal' price. Having contacted their customer service team it would appear that because I purchased at a physical store, they are not prepared to refund the difference.

Buyers beware! I shall never shop there again after this experience.

Comments

• It's often the case that online deals trump those of physical stores. It's also possible that the TV online is only a similar model made by the same manufacturer.

While several companies do price match in the manner you expect, you should realise that high street shops have higher overheads than online and choosing to deny them your custom on that basis is just hastening a time when you won't have the choice.
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have recently purchased a TV from Curry's on a limited time 'must end Monday' deal. Less than two week after the purchase I logged on to find that the same set was now being advertised at a base price that was £200 less than the 'deal' price. Having contacted their customer service team it would appear that because I purchased at a physical store, they are not prepared to refund the difference.

Well they were correct the deal was on for a limited time and did end, but they never said the price would go up after the deal i bet...
  • wellannoyedwithcurrys
    wellannoyedwithcurrys Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2019 at 3:02PM
    Well this is my gripe, there was no indication that the price was going to be less after the deal had come to an end. And for clarity, it is the exact same model, and the deal that was on the web site is the deal they had on in the store when I bought the set. The fact they acknowledge this, but still refuse to give any kind of refund, is the part that is particularly annoying.

I take the point about the physical store having overheads, but it is the SAME company. The fact is, I bought the TV from Curry's, so wether through the website or physically in their store shouldn't even come into this.

I hope they enjoy the £200 in any case, as they've just lost all of my future business and I shall also be warning other folks to steer clear.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!

Could have happened anywhere, unless you find a store that explicitly states they will give you a refund if the price drops within two weeks of purchase.

Your story is something many people can learn from, but it wouldn't put me off buying from Curry's if the were selling something I wanted at the best available price.

Prices of many goods fluctuate. You were presumably happy with the price you paid when you purchased the goods. The price has subsequently dropped. Stuff happens. Move on.
  • Yeah I know that these things happen, it's mostly about the fact they're quibbling over it being bought from the store tbh. So If I'd done click and collect on the web site, presumably I'd be £200 better off at this point. This alone makes me think to hell with them if that's their attitude. It was an expensive TV and a stretch financially speaking, but with the "deal" thought I was doing ok out of it. Clearly I wasn't.

Anyway, the TV itself is excellent and I've spent enough time stewing over it now, so I shall move on with my life.
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 13 November 2019 at 6:27PM
    They don't price with their own website. As they are two different entities.

A couple of years ago I wanted to buy a new laptop. yes I was only spending about £350 but they had same laptop cheaper on-line and they would not match the price in store.

So I walked away and went somewhere else.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Gycraig
    Gycraig Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    If it had gone up 200 pound would you be rushing to pay them the difference ?. You don't get to have both bites of the cherry.

You see a deal it's the right price you buy it you take your chance, online is different as you could probably return it and buy it new at lower price but this is a statutory right.

Prices go up and down all the time, I used to work for carphone and we had no idea about price changes until they happened
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Well this is my gripe, there was no indication that the price was going to be less after the deal had come to an end. And for clarity, it is the exact same model, and the deal that was on the web site is the deal they had on in the store when I bought the set. The fact they acknowledge this, but still refuse to give any kind of refund, is the part that is particularly annoying.

Well it would be pretty silly of them from a business perspective to tell you that the price was going to come down in a few weeks otherwise people would wait and they would make less money. I can't see any reason why you expect them to tell you this.
    Yeah I know that these things happen, it's mostly about the fact they're quibbling over it being bought from the store tbh. So If I'd done click and collect on the web site, presumably I'd be £200 better off at this point. This alone makes me think to hell with them if that's their attitude. It was an expensive TV and a stretch financially speaking, but with the "deal" thought I was doing ok out of it. Clearly I wasn't.

Anyway, the TV itself is excellent and I've spent enough time stewing over it now, so I shall move on with my life.

Just take this as a good life lesson that just because something is a "deal" it doesn't mean it's a good deal. A lot of people fall for deals even when they are actually worse value that buying it without a deal.

You should always check prices from a variety of retailers before making any big purchase to make sure you are getting the best deal. This is very easy and can be done quickly in store using a smartphone.
  • Once upon a time...
    Bought a hoover from tesco for £60. It was faulty so took it back. They had no more in stock so I got a refund. Went back a week later, same hoover now £10 more, showed them my receipt from previous purchase and suggested they match it for goodwill for selling me a faulty one.
    Refused - within their rights, but that's why we no longer use them for the weekly big shop.
  • Well as it turns out, Currys aint all that bad after all! After my last moan at them about not matching the price they replied saying that as I'd not bought on-line, I needed to visit the store and take my receipt with me. I've just been down there quickly, and without any arguments they have actually deducted the £200 from the remaining balance that I had on the 0% finance agreement. RESULT! The only problem now is I need to change my username!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure