Which console?

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Thats one thing that annoys me about having an Xbox rather than a playstation , I have never had the oppertunity to play Uncharted :( and I really like the look of that ..

I just cant get on with the playstation controllers though - and i mainly just play call of duty

You can play the first 3 on a pc via ps now subscription (and many other ps exclusive games). An xbox controller will work with most of the games but some require dualshock (like last of us when you need to shake the controller to fix your flickering flashlight). From memory I dont think uncharted needed the dualshock but I might be wrong.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Twilightargent
    Options
    Easy question (I hope) - when my Xbox 360 finally gives up the ghost, what should I replace it with?

I'm only an occasional gamer so I don't need the latest super-duper version but I'm thinking PS4 or Xbox One? More importantly, why?

Everyone I've asked who has an Xbox says stay with Xbox as it's familiar and it's backwards compatible but everyone who has a PS4 says it's more than just a console.

Ooh decisions, decisions.

I've played games for 35 years now, and I think it depends on what you like to play. I play everything :) so i buy all the consoles, but I usually wait for them to be dirt cheap and second hand.

It really depends on what kind of games you like and what your style is, you said you're pretty casual so maybe you will find things you like on any system? If you like RPG's then you can't really go wrong with PS4 or Xbox. Some games being mascots of the company will of course only be produced on the manufacturers own system, Final fantasy is released usually only on Sony machines, though there are a few exceptions, Mario/Zelda on Nintendo, I think Halo is only on Xbox/PC
    I don't worry about what systems got the better graphics because yes I want to play something that I can gawp at that makes me go wow a lot but I can equally have fun playing something Retro like Shovel Knight - which I highly recommend btw :)

I've got a Snes, Gamecube, N64, Ps1, Ps2, Xbox 360, PC, Nintendo DS, GBA, and a Switch...and I still play all of them from time to time.
    My sister has bought a PS4 and raves about it, and how amazing it is, she loves those Japanese RPGS I used to play before kids when I had time :D

My personal favourites are definitely the Xbox, the Switch and the PC. They all have their good points With the Xbox you know there will be a good selection of games, I've been playing the Castlevania series, Deadpool and Angry Birds on it, but I've also got Halo and various other things. You've not mentioned the switch but I will say with the switch it's a lot of fun and some games are super amazing but there are never as many games available as on Xbox/PS4. Having said that I'm currently playing Zelda BoTW on the Switch and would reccomend buying it just for that, my 5 year old loves 1-2 switch and Just dance so we have a good selection of party games too, which has been awesome when we've had birthday parties and bbq's. With the PC I can go mad modding my games on various sites, my favourite one to mod is Skyrim,.

Anyway have fun choosing, hope the old Xbox doesn't give up too soon!
  • crossstitchamy
    Options
    love my PS4 :)
  • IssaGame123
    IssaGame123 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I used to love playing on the console but I think the moving to a Desktop Gaming PC was much better. Most games now are available for the PC. Playing with the keyboard and mouse at first was a bit challenging because I wasn't used to it, but I bought a games controller. Also I'm looking to get into VR and my system is more than capable of running the hardware.

You should consider a gaming PC as an alternative.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You should consider a gaming PC as an alternative.

No thanks, been there, done that - I specifically want a console that I can have on the main TV so I'm not stuck at a desk away from the family.

BTW - my Xbox 360 is still going ok, so I'm waiting until I move in a couple of months before I get my next console.
  • ErasmusOzzy
    ErasmusOzzy Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    desktop is always the best, OK, I agree, it costs too much.
    but it is possible to use the desktop for multiple purposes :think:
    :beer:
  • ducchung2108
    Options
    I own xbox
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Right, I was going to wait until after my upcoming house move to decide but Amazon Prime Day made my mind up for me and I got an Xbox One S 1Tb with 3 games, 2 controllers and a vertical stand for £199 (a saving of £119).

Thanks for all your input.

The bonus is that half my old 360 games work on it as well.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Right, I was going to wait until after my upcoming house move to decide but Amazon Prime Day made my mind up for me and I got an Xbox One S 1Tb with 3 games, 2 controllers and a vertical stand for £199 (a saving of £119).

Thanks for all your input.

The bonus is that half my old 360 games work on it as well.

Keep an eye out on Xbox sales as the 360 games could be reduced and could save you having to get up to put the disc in.
  • Tyler_Durden_UK
    Options
    Sign up for Games With Gold for about £30 a year (or less) you get 2 360 and 2 xbox games a month. The 360 games you get to keep, the xbox games can only be played while your sub is active. These are digital btw
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure