Sainsbury and Asda to merge

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    I don't find Sainsbury to be the most expensive supermarket. Before I shop I put my list into "mysupermarket.com" and Sainsbury often come out as the cheapest. Asda never does. It often is dearer than Tesco and even, occasionally, than Waitrose.

I always did my main shop in Sainsbury and then smaller shops in Tesco and Lidl. Don't see the attraction of Aldi. I can never seem to get what I want there and their fruit and veg are awful quality.

I have moved now and my nearest Sainsbury is quite a distance away. My nearest supermarkets are Morrisons and Asda. Morrisons is not bad and the Asda here seems to be a million times better than the one where I lived before. There fruit and veg is far better but most of their offers are on processed rubbish which I don't buy

I agree with your post.

A new ALDI opened near us a while ago (near to the Sainsburys). I tried to shop there, but it is really not nice. Very often basic food is not available (veg stock cubes, butter beans, lentils), and at other times it might be available, or might not. The fruit and veg is not good quality either.

The fruit and veg in Sainsburys I have always found very good - in fact often excellant quality. I track all the momey we spend and I cannot see that much different between costs when I have shopped in Aldi compared to Sainsburys either.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For me:
    Aldi - currently nearest store opposite Farmfoods about four miles away (right in the middle of a large council estate) when I did have a browse - their cereal boxes had weird sizes625gm instead of 500gm with minute unit pricing. Layout a mess, especially non-food, glad to get out.
    Lidl - about 1.5 miles away, - get their cleaning sprays, canned veg (has ring-pull lids), eggs, and cakes. Hate that their don't have a basket only check-out. No reductions!
    Tesco Express - a mile up the road, emergencies e.g. milk.
    Tesco Extra - <2 miles great store, big range, often get conditional spend.
    Morrisons - <2 miles smaller store e.g. no clothes, great bread, again good points offers, great caf!, and fuel cheap.
    Sainsburys - <3 miles smaller than Tesco, good caf!, try to stick to offers, can be expensive otherwise.
    Asda - about 1.5 miles - again large store, with big range, poor caf!, some food can be bland, but some good deals to be had.
    Moreover the big stores have more than just one each!
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,588 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Will it be Sainsda or Asdburys?

Whatever happens there will be people on here who make up their own daft pet names. I'm sure they'll miss MrA and Sainsbobs? Do people really talk like that in RL?

It's been expressly stated that this merger is down to the need to try and compete with Aldi and Lidl. I think posters who think Aldi lacks choice probably haven't visited recently. They listened when customers said they could only cater for half a shop. These days I only go elsewhere for more unusual spices and occasional other bits and pieces. They've also addressed the complaints about fresh produce and put proper dates on the packaging. I still believe that the shops are only as good as the managers in terms of stock rotation, cleaniness, tidiness, service etc. but that's true of any multiple store.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    Whatever happens there will be people on here who make up their own daft pet names. I'm sure they'll miss MrA and Sainsbobs? Do people really talk like that in RL?

<snipped>

I share your feelings about the 'cute' names. I have no idea why people do it but it makes me wince.

I don't entirely agree about the ability to do a complete shop at Aldi, though. I can't really do a complete shop anywhere - there's usually something from somewhere else that I'd prefer whichever shop I go to. That said, Aldi (or Lidl, I suppose) are the most likely not to have what I want. The policy of selling mostly own brand goods may get the prices down but it restricts choice.

As for Asda and Sainsbury's, given our luck in the UK, instead of Sainsbury's quality at Asda prices, we'll end up with Asda quality stores at Sainsbury's prices!
  • maman
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I share your feelings about the 'cute' names. I have no idea why people do it but it makes me wince.

I don't entirely agree about the ability to do a complete shop at Aldi, though. I can't really do a complete shop anywhere - there's usually something from somewhere else that I'd prefer whichever shop I go to. That said, Aldi (or Lidl, I suppose) are the most likely not to have what I want. The policy of selling mostly own brand goods may get the prices down but it restricts choice.

As for Asda and Sainsbury's, given our luck in the UK, instead of Sainsbury's quality at Asda prices, we'll end up with Asda quality stores at Sainsbury's prices!

I'm glad it's not just me that shudders when I read the stupid names. :D

I suppose I mean that most weeks I can get all I need in Aldi. I tend to stock up on other things like Branston beans! :)
  • A._Badger
    Options

I suppose I mean that most weeks I can get all I need in Aldi. I tend to stock up on other things like Branston beans! :)

I agree with that. In fact I think I only need a top-up every other week now for things my local Aldi either doesn't sell or has run out of. That's better than it used to be.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 May 2018 at 4:38AM
    Options

Your not alone! It's almost as bad as those that mis-spell various brand names because they think the brands will search their post out and...sorry...not sure exactly why they do this but this was what I was told when I once asked :huh: I try not to judge, but it's then difficult to read the rest of the post without it framing the mental image of someone sitting with a pet poodle, with doily for a mouse mat, wearing a violet frock or knitted jerkin and a tight perm (male or female). I know. It disturbs me every time! :rotfl:

Near to me we have a very large Asda and a very large Sainsburys, the Sainsburys is more empty but the newer of the two stores, I can't think they'll keep both open yet I know many customers wont shop in the other store, either through snobbery or financial reasons, I don't know for sure who will be the remaining store or who will take the place of the missing store- we have three very large Tesco stores within 20 mins in different directions and another large Tescos 30 -ish mins in the remaining direction. Aldi already put itself 5mins across from Asda, M&S are in very close by, we already have a variety of lower brand stores in the area (TK Maxx, Boots, B&M, Currys, Argos, Sports Direct...etc) maybe Morrisons would take up the space? We don't have one nearby.

Or they could just turn it into more flats- we already have had few thousand appear almost overnight 10 mins away. A GP surgery and hospital and Police station could be a better idea...
  • maman
    edited 4 May 2018 at 10:36AM
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    Your not alone! It's almost as bad as those that mis-spell various brand names because they think the brands will search their post out and...sorry...not sure exactly why they do this but this was what I was told when I once asked :huh: I try not to judge, but it's then difficult to read the rest of the post without it framing the mental image of someone sitting with a pet poodle, with doily for a mouse mat, wearing a violet frock or knitted jerkin and a tight perm (male or female). I know. It disturbs me every time! :rotfl:

Thanks for painting a mental picture of the twee lot for me.:D I always think of the level of RL conversation that must go on in their households. Shall we go to Aldo's today or Sainsbob's. It's a bit far to drive to MrT's.:rotfl:

I've heard the stuff about tracing posts too. It seems totally illogical to me. If I post a comment about a supermarket (good or bad) then I'd love them to take note of it! Why would I hide it?

I think I might be in an area where the stores would stay open although I can't believe it'll happen across the country. Here Sainsbury's and Asda serve very different catchments several miles apart although Sainsbury's has recently had a revamp where they've widened the (already wide enough) aisles and obviously carry far less stock than they used to.

I only use Sainsbury's for top ups because it fits in geographically on a round trip to Aldi. I rarely go to Asda any more unless I pop in when I'm filling up my car as they do have the cheapest fuel around.

ETA: Just read a thread where someone had nipped to Asbury's!:eek: OMG! They've started already and the shops haven't actually merged yet.:(
  • A._Badger
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »

<snipped>

What an image! Like Alan Bennett on acid.

People who don't live near a Morrisons might be surprised how good a store it can be. I'm in the Sarf of England where Morrisons are scarce, in fact we only have one locally at all because it occupies a former Safeway, gobbled up in a takeover. It's a welcome addition, and has comfortably displaced overpriced, inadequately staffed Sainsburys as my top-up shop.

The meat is markedly superior to Sainsbury's or Tesco's, closer to Waitrose in quality, but cheaper than any of the others and, if not quite as well priced overall as Asda, it shows Sainsbury's a clean pair of heels. It has quite an acceptable cafe, too.

Hope for a Morrisons. It would be better than either Asda or Sainsbury's. Or even AsBobs.
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What an image! Like Alan Bennett on acid.

People who don't live near a Morrisons might be surprised how good a store it can be. I'm in the Sarf of England where Morrisons are scarce, in fact we only have one locally at all because it occupies a former Safeway, gobbled up in a takeover. It's a welcome addition, and has comfortably displaced overpriced, inadequately staffed Sainsburys as my top-up shop.

The meat is markedly superior to Sainsbury's or Tesco's, closer to Waitrose in quality, but cheaper than any of the others and, if not quite as well priced overall as Asda, it shows Sainsbury's a clean pair of heels. It has quite an acceptable cafe, too.

Hope for a Morrisons. It would be better than either Asda or Sainsbury's. Or even AsBobs.

No Morrisons near me, so I was surprised when visiting another town in the county to find that it wasn't half bad!

Another quite good one was Budgens, but the only one I knew of was rather a long way on the other side of town, and now it's gone. They did have some nice things, and reasonably priced.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport