PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Are quiches ready to eat?

If I buy a quiche from the chilled cabinet is it ready to eat?

The packaging usually says serve hot or cold, but does this mean can be eaten cold without cooking first and cooling, or eaten straight from the box?

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,669 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yes it's ready to eat — enjoy!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The lads eat it straight out of the box to no visible ill effects, but then the male teenage metabolism is a fearsome thing.

I believe purists advocate slicing it first - again, no visible ill effects observed.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes.

"Serve hot" or "reheat" on the instructions means it's optional.

"Cooking" instructions are usually compulsory.

You can also warm slices through in the microwave but don't get it too hot or it will collapse entirely and become a de-souffle.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Personally, I would always cook it. You can then either eat it hot, if for a buffet when it has cooled down.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    The pastry is much nicer when it's been reheated. It turns from being cold and claggy to dry and light.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes quiche from the chiller in the supermarket is ready to eat. I can not eat hot egg (texture issue) and have not found a chilled quiche I can't tuck into without cooking. If you are going to heat it use an oven not a microwave, as if you stick a slice of quiche in the microwave you will see bubbles of steam force there way through the product and the texture will be altered (my mum used to do this -yuk!)
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 13 July 2017 at 12:13AM
    It's already cooked, you aren't cooking it, you are reheating it.

We had a buffet at work and one of the team said she would put it all together. We all put some money in and she then got up at 4am to do all the cooking.
    However she had bought all the bits from the chiller cabinet, there were ready made quiches, Indian snacks, sausage rolls, mini ready cooked sausages. All reheated and then cooled!! I would have stayed in bed, taken the lids off the packaging and served.
    What's the point in buying ready made, reheating and cooling before serving?
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yes, they are ready to eat - I've eaten one over the last two days.

There are a few, sometimes, in frozen cabinets, that aren't ready to eat - but all those in the chiller cabinet are always ready to eat and can be slid from the box in the car park and scoffed immediately if you wish :)

Quiche is best served at room temperature, so it's good to get it out of the fridge for 1+ hours before you eat it ... and, of course, reheating it in an oven can make the pastry super gorgeous .... but, the bottom line is that you CAN eat them straight from the shop chiller, they ARE safe, they are fully cooked.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    JIL wrote: »
    What's the point in buying ready made, reheating and cooling before serving?

Absolutely no point at all in my book. :)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    JIL wrote: »
    All reheated and then cooled!!

which, as it cycles the food through the danger zone for bacterial growth twice, is a serious risk for food poisoning.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure