PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Compensation from Birmingham city council repairs team

Comments

• f.akhtar
    f.akhtar Posts: 25 Forumite
    Would you suggest me to remove my washing machine what would you do if this situation comes to you for nearly 2 years ???
  • f.akhtar
    Your comment is very positive thanks
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    f.akhtar wrote: »
    Your comment is very positive thanks
    You're welcome.

My comments are always meant to be positive, even when they don't support the psition a poster has originally taken, or provide a solution they hope for.

So I'm glad you took it positively.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    G_M wrote: »
    You're welcome.

My comments are always meant to be positive, even when they don't support the psition a poster has originally taken, or provide a solution they hope for.

So I'm glad you took it positively.

Tee hee!

PS To the OP, it would be a good idea if you learned to use the Quote button.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It is possible you could get compensation for the delay in making proper repairs as long as you can prove you asked and asked (preferably in writing) for the repairs to be made, making an accurate report of the symptoms.

However you might have to seek legal advice to do this, which could be costly. You also need to exhaust your rights to complain. You might need help with this given the standard of writing in your posts (meant kindly). The CAB might be willing to help, or Shelter.

Seek advice on what compensation you have a right to ask for, if its for direct losses only, it probably isn't worth it for a £40 kettle. I'm sorry but my kettles are always less than £20. If you can buy one, you can buy another.

Getting legals involved to bring a council to court for repairs, or a lack of, is always a very long and difficult process. I've seen reports of a decade for very very bad damp issues that weren't remedied. A leak wouldn't do any better. I'm not saying its right, but it is the position we are in and you need to ask yourself if the hassle is actually worth it. Councils, I am afraid just laugh at these cases.
  • f.akhtar
    So sad to hear that you have a damp problem too. I have a damp on my windows its very bad i clean them every week otherwise it gets to my blinds, never reported though.
    They have excuse to say no and we are helpless. :(
  • f.akhtar
    You also need to exhaust your rights to complain. You might need help with this given the standard of writing in your posts (meant kindly). The CAB might be willing to help, or Shelter.
    That was the reason i posted my thread
  • f.akhtar
    Heeee heee:T
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2017 at 12:15AM
    If you have problems with damp, a dehumidifier will help as will keeping windows open. The cases lasting decades are not my own, but I have had problems with damp and been told the stock 'its down to your lifestyle condensation' in spite of keeping windows open and using a dehumidifier.

My central heating in that house was eventually replaced (and the radiators) so I could warm the house finally (couldn't before) and I bought decent insulated wallpaper to stop an exterior wall (probably without adequate insulation beforehand) from being so cold.

The mould was cleaned up, and never reappeared. In spite of living the same 'lifestyle'.

I've lived in a different council property for three weeks and am now facing dealing with mould again lol. At least I know what to do from the start this time. The way I look at it is I am paying less than half private rent for this place.., I will find a way to do the repairs I need to. At least, barring me doing something stooopid, its mine for the future, unlike a private rental.

Yes it would be nice if the council did more repairs and it wasn't such a fight to get them done, but they are a damn sight better than the private LL I had, who never did repairs and still expected a high rent and threatened me with eviction if I asked for repairs to be done lol. I know when I am better off. Its an imperfect world. We are all worse off (well us ordinary mortals anyway).
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If you have problems with damp, a dehumidifier will help as will keeping windows open. The cases lasting decades are not my own, but I have had problems with damp and been told the stock 'its down to your lifestyle condensation' in spite of keeping windows open and using a dehumidifier.
    ).

If the window is open and you are using a dehumidifier you are trying to dry the planet. This may lead to an excessive electricity bill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure