IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Claim Form

Hi guys!

Got a claim form with the claimant being BW Legal, representing NCP.

Problem is, it's got my name wrong :/ Would I need to respond to this at all?

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 January 2019 at 4:52PM
    I think if it is simply misspelled, you will need to defend it. How closely or badly does it match the name on the V5. (Check what the V5 actually says, don't guess or assume.)

If it is for a completely different person than the name on the V5, that is one thing, but if it is simply a typo then it will make little or no difference.

For example, name on V5 = John Smith
    Name on claim = John Smyth, you will need to send them a recification notice to correct the information they have on file, and probably have to defend.

If however name on V5 = John Smith
    Name on claim = Fred Bloggs, throw it back with complaints to BPA, DVLA, and your MP.

Complain to your MP anyway about this unregulated scam.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • NCP are now issuing a lot of claims. They are hoovering up from the last few years.
  • Cheers guys, surname is correct but it's put my middle name instead of my first name - it's a common one, so I thought it was meant for someone else to be honest haha.
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't get your hopes up then. Like I said, what does your V5 say?
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Just checked the V5 - that's got all my correct details, it's just this claim form which is wrong :)
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What is the Issue Date on your Claim Form?

Did the Claim Form come from the County Court Business Centre in Northampton, or from somewhere else?
  • Cheers Keith!

Issue date is the 11th of Jan - yes, it came from County Court Business Centre in Northampton.
  • KeithP
    Issue date is the 11th of Jan - yes, it came from County Court Business Centre in Northampton.
    With a Claim Issue Date of 11th January, you have until Wednesday 30th January to do the Acknowledgement of Service, but there is nothing to be gained by delaying it. To do the AoS, follow the guidance offered in a Dropbox link from post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

Having done the AoS, you have until 4pm on Wednesday 13th February 2019 to file your Defence.

That's over three weeks away. Loads of time to produce a perfect Defence, but don't leave it to the very last minute.

When you are happy with the content, your Defence should be filed via email as suggested here:
      Print your Defence.
    1. Sign it and date it.
    2. Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    3. Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    4. Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    5. Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not chase the CCBC until it is.
    6. Do not be surprised to receive a copy of the Claimant's Directions Questionnaire, they are just trying to put you under pressure.
    7. Wait for your DQ from the CCBC, or download one from the internet, and then re-read post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread to find out exactly what to do with it.
  • Thanks for the help! BW Legal actually called me, and I kinda got really scared and just paid them... I know now that was a stupid thing to do, but does it mean I'm just totally stuffed, or can I still take this route?
  • KeithP
    It's now over.

Good bye.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts