Returning an online purchase

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help with a query.

I purchased a heavy punchbag online on 8/01/19 - the bag was £190 + £30 heavy item shipping fee.

The bag was supposed to be delivered on 11/01/19 but the first attempt wasn’t made until 14/01/19 when the driver tried to pickup whilst I was at work.

They missed me again on th 16/01/19 but not wanted to keep messing the driver about I just went to the collection depo and picked it up myself. So I received my item on 16/01/19.

Upon getting it home and unpackaged I soon found that buying online you don’t get to see the item in person and it was just too big for the space I had in mind. I looked at several other options but noted that it just wouldn’t work.

As I was aware online transactions can be returned within 14 days for this very reason, so I messaged the seller to say sorry but the bag doesn’t fit the space and I would like to return.

I was thinking I would have to pay £30 my end to send it back and I would obviously lose this, plus I imagine they would not refund the shipping that they paid to send it so I would lose £60. Ouch. Costly mistake.

I’m a bit annoyed however that the seller has come back and said that they are also going to charge me another £30 “restocking fee”.

Apparently it was in their T&C’s ... obviously like everyone else I read the T&Cs in great detail ... oh wait no I didn’t!

I was not emailed a copy of the T&C’s I think they might have been on the checkout page but I hadn’t been able to access them at all.

I had great difficult even finding any information at all about returns and there is nothing on their website.

Could you all please advise me on the following.

1) do I need to arrange the return and pay the postage? It is approx £35 as a heavy item going from Bristol to up North.

2) Can I be charged the re-stocking fee? It’s a bit salty.

3) do I get refunded the original postage cost or just the cost of the item?

Potentially looking at being £90 out of pocket :( an expensive lesson!

PS I paid by credit card if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Lloyd90 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Hoping you can help with a query.

I purchased a heavy punchbag online on 8/01/19 - the bag was £190 + £30 heavy item shipping fee.

The bag was supposed to be delivered on 11/01/19 but the first attempt wasn’t made until 14/01/19 when the driver tried to pickup whilst I was at work.

They missed me again on th 16/01/19 but not wanted to keep messing the driver about I just went to the collection depo and picked it up myself. So I received my item on 16/01/19.

Upon getting it home and unpackaged I soon found that buying online you don’t get to see the item in person and it was just too big for the space I had in mind. I looked at several other options but noted that it just wouldn’t work.

As I was aware online transactions can be returned within 14 days for this very reason, so I messaged the seller to say sorry but the bag doesn’t fit the space and I would like to return.

I was thinking I would have to pay £30 my end to send it back and I would obviously lose this, plus I imagine they would not refund the shipping that they paid to send it so I would lose £60. Ouch. Costly mistake.

I’m a bit annoyed however that the seller has come back and said that they are also going to charge me another £30 “restocking fee”.

Apparently it was in their T&C’s ... obviously like everyone else I read the T&Cs in great detail ... oh wait no I didn’t!

I was not emailed a copy of the T&C’s I think they might have been on the checkout page but I hadn’t been able to access them at all.

I had great difficult even finding any information at all about returns and there is nothing on their website.

Could you all please advise me on the following.

1) do I need to arrange the return and pay the postage? It is approx £35 as a heavy item going from Bristol to up North.

2) Can I be charged the re-stocking fee? It’s a bit salty.

3) do I get refunded the original postage cost or just the cost of the item?

Potentially looking at being £90 out of pocket :( an expensive lesson!

PS I paid by credit card if that makes any difference.

Bit surprised by the part in bold. Surly everyone knows that if you are buying online you don't get to see it in person! :rotfl:

Anyway,

1) Yes
    2) No, they cannot charge a restocking fee, however they can deduct a percentage if the examination of the item has gone beyond what it would in a shop.
    3) Postage should be refunded
  • Lloyd90
    Lloyd90 Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What I meant is, the reason they have the online buying protections is because when you buy something online it might not be what you expect in person 😂
    Sorry didn’t word it very well.

So I should have to pay to post it back - approx £35, BUT I should get refunded the full original £220 and they shouldn’t be able to charge me a restocking fee?

What is the examination cost you mean please mate?
  • Lloyd90 wrote: »
    What I meant is, the reason they have the online buying protections is because when you buy something online it might not be what you expect in person 😂
    Sorry didn’t word it very well.

So I should have to pay to post it back - approx £35, BUT I should get refunded the full original £220 and they shouldn’t be able to charge me a restocking fee?

What is the examination cost you mean please mate?

See the below quote.

While you have to pay to return the goods, the retailer has to refund the basic delivery cost of getting the goods to you in the first place. If you opted for enhanced service eg guaranteed next day, it only has to refund the basic cost.

Your refund for the goods must be paid within 14 calendar days after returning the goods, or evidence that they were returned.
    A deduction can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling the goods more than was necessary.

The extent to which you can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop.
  • Lloyd90
    Could you let me know where you quoted that from please?

The company are stating that the amount they will refund will be £159.99 ... so they won’t refund the postage cost, they are deducting £30 restocking fee and I will also have to pay £35 to send it back :/
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Where did you buy it from?

All the above assumes you bought from a UK company.

Sorry, just saw you said up north.
  • Lloyd90
    Yes I bought it online from a sports store in Newcastle I think.
  • KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Lloyd90 wrote: »
    Yes I bought it online from a sports store in Newcastle I think.

Is online delivery something they offer as standard.
  • Lloyd90
    Yes they offer delivery on all good, although charges a £30 premium due to the weight of this item. (64kg).
  • They also need to advise you via durable means (either email or in writing with the goods, a link in an email to a website is not acceptable) that the return cost is your responsibility.

If they haven't done this the cost of return is down to them.

As above they can't charge you a restocking fee and they can't deduct the original outbound postage (at most they can refund the basic amount if you opted for a more expensive service but if £30 is the cost for the punchbag they have to refund it).

All detailed here:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/contents/made
  • Not wishing to come accross as argumentative but "it was just too big for the space I had in mind."
    Were the dimensions etc. missing from it's description when purchased?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure