Martin Lewis calls on Ryanair boss to refund passengers hit with name-change charges - MSE News

MoneySavingExpert founder Martin Lewis has called on the chief executives of Ryanair and the Civil Aviation Authority to investigate an apparent name-change booking 'glitch' which has cost many passengers at least £115 to fix - and presented them with a dossier detailing over 160 reports of the problem...
Read the full story:
'Martin Lewis calls on Ryanair boss to refund passengers hit with name-change charges'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 January 2019 at 9:38AM
    A better campaign for Martin would be to get the government to give the CAA more powers to enforce EU regulation EC261:2004 and other matters such as the passenger isn’t changing it’s just a name correction and not an unreasonable name change.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Agree more power to the CAA especially being required to follow CAA guidelines on families sitting together for safety reasons
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • VT82
    VT82 Posts: 1,079 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I flat out don't use Ryanair and won't be doing so in future. I have been skipping straight past them when I do flight price comparisons for a while now. No level of saving would convince me to have my holiday starting with a feeling of dread as I approach the airport wondering what I might have done wrong.

I miss Monarch :(
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2019 at 3:47PM
    As someone who has done a bit of computer programming and enhancement of existing computer programs I can see how easily a glitch may have arisen with Ryanair's attempts to synchronise their website with their mobile App.

In fact there is at least one minor but similar (involving name) glitch pervading right at this moment which I have seen previously:

If you are a member of a party who is NOT the lead passenger, you can still add the flight to your own MyRyanair flights. You'll need just the booking reference and the lead passenger's email address to do it.

I am sure thousands do this daily now. How else do you control your own flight/seat after it is booked without bothering the lead passenger or relying upon them to book your additional bag or seat, and check in for you? And how else do you avoid having to print your boarding pass so you can independently scan the pass at security, and the gate, and show it on your mobile as you reach the top of the aircraft steps?

I have one such flight in a couple of days. Having added the flight to MyRyanair some time ago, I logged in to the App on my phone to check in.

The flight was shown in my list of upcoming flights and as soon as I selected it the first thing that came up was "Sit with Peter".

The App already knows I am Peter because I logged in as myself!

So this part of the App has missed that I am already verified as Peter. It thinks I am the lead passenger because in order to view my flight via MyRyanair I had once upon a time used the booking reference and lead passenger email (that's all) to duplicate the whole booking in MyRyanair.

If you follow me so far, I wouldn't mind betting that a computer programmer has in his code lost track of the link between the program user's unique identifier, the lead passenger name and my name. It actually looks a bit dyslexic and I am sure some dyslexics have minds very suited in other ways for creative coding but in this case Ryanair's code needs a fine tooth comb check ;)

Edit: I haven't looked at it closely myself yet, but there appears on our same booking another example of loose linking of personal data that could lead to wrong passport detail being linked to the boarding pass of the lead passenger. She was travelling on Ryanair a few months ago with another member of the family and this morning when she went to check-in, she tells me she was asked which of two stored passports she wanted to use - the other one happened to be the other member of her family who travelled last year under the same surname but isn't even on this latest booking!

Clearly all Ryanair stored passport details had been uniquely linked previously to one individual only, so why was Ryanair offering alternatives? Is the problem that in some 'use cases' (as we call different task scenarios in systems terms) our email address is a unique identifier e.g. when we log in to MyRyanair with our own unique password, but in other cases e.g. when we are "soft-verified" as persons entitled to view flight itinerary data we are not uniquely identified by using the email address or by combining it with the booking reference. The only way we can be uniquely identified digitally is if we are asked for the account password. Ryanair know this but, perhaps reflecting a a not dissimilar soft-verification used for many years with the Amadeus system have decided it is more important to allow soft-verified access to itinerary including passenger personal data than it is to be sure about who is using the booking reference to view the data. With many major airlines not just lo-cost I think you can view all booking detail if you have just passenger surname and booking reference (no password)?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure