We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Best fruit trees for pots

Options
I’m looking for recommendations for the best fruit trees to grow in a large pot. We may/may not be moving this time next year but I would like to get my tree growing started this year. I’m looking for an eating apple and a pear. I’d also like to grow them using the espalier method. It’s a big ask but I’d like to know best variety and also how big a pot?
Sealed pot challenge 2019 = #82
Jan 2019 Grocery Challenge = £0/£260
Declutter 2019 items in 2019! = 0/2019
Frugal living challenge 2019 =

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 December 2018 at 3:59PM
    Options
    It's going to need to be grafted on a dwarfing rootstock, like MM27 if you grow apples, if it needs to be in a pot permanently. The variety can be based mainly on personal preference.

You can use a larger rootstock if you grow as an espalier, but you will need a large pot... say two feet across, but more than that deep.

Many suppliers of patio fruit trees... Most are about the same quality, so don't be price led. Better if you can buy one you have seen, and like the shape.act

Sadly, they do always do better direct in the ground.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The main factor limiting size & suitability is the root stock they will be grafted onto
    Details here
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=359

If you will only have one variety of each then self fertile or not will be the next consideration, no point having a lovely espalier that never sets fruit due to lack of pollination

With the above in mind this will whittle down your choices, often due to availability , but still give a big choice

Personally I would chose from a variety that is not readily available in greengrocers, but DYO research,suitable in your area for instance? May thrive in Dorset but not Dundee
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Thank you that’s two things I’ve not thought about yet :)

I’m in East Yorkshire if that makes any difference? Our garden in quite sunny too.
    Sealed pot challenge 2019 = #82
    Jan 2019 Grocery Challenge = £0/£260
    Declutter 2019 items in 2019! = 0/2019
    Frugal living challenge 2019 =
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can get trees design for pots.I grow a cherry tree called kordio in one I think you can get other types of trees even on growing different fruit on each branch but it always depends as said on what the root stock is.

I got mine from J Parkers

https://www.jparkers.co.uk/fruits-vegetables/fruit-trees/patio-dwarf-fruit-trees

I am also growing some blackcurrants in some pots as of this year I am using 35litre pots the sort you grow spuds in
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you that’s two things I’ve not thought about yet :)

I’m in East Yorkshire if that makes any difference? Our garden in quite sunny too.

It may make a difference, some varieties are real softy southerners, others will relish your cooler conditions

A good supplier should have that locality information available
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • francohoops
    Options
    Hi
    I’m interested in the kordio cherry tree. Do they produce much fruit? Is normal compost ok or do you need a special type? Any other advice re this tree?
    Thanks
    F
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2019 at 1:57PM
    Options
    It took 3 years to fruit but in 3rd year I moved the tree as it was partial in the shade. It was original on allotment until I took it home. In 3rd year didn't get much fruit but I think this year might be better. Normal compost would be fine I do feed it though. I have a few cherry trees on allotment raised from bare root trees

Hi
    I’m interested in the kordio cherry tree. Do they produce much fruit? Is normal compost ok or do you need a special type? Any other advice re this tree?
    Thanks
    F
  • JRRoberts
    Options
    I have tried about 2 dozen nurseries over the last few years, buying about fruit 100 trees. Price with quality, the winners for us have been blackmoore for "normal" fruit trees and hillbillypawpaws.com for exotice type fruit trees. Many of the others send small trees that don't thrive or falsely state what they are.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback