Corgi homeplan cover - avoid at all costs

Options
I have, for only the second time, had to call Corgi with regards to a defect on my system. They have again found every reason why they should not repair the defect. They were supposed to conduct a service last month but as with previous years I have had to chase them up. Now the system has a defect they are refusing to repair the defect or carry out the service.

The company are happy to take the money but I have had nothing but problems with them when I have required their service.

I would suggest anybody thinking of taking out cover with Corgi, avoid them at all costs

Comments

• LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are many others who have had problems with this company and warned against using them - this is just one thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4165731&highlight=corgi
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The person who fitted my system (coming to service tomorrow) said there was no point in having a contract; just call him if there is a problem. This is unlikely for some time so will save money.

A couple of days without gas boiler is no great loss as we managed for weeks using a kettle and pans to heat water (even for a baths,which meant extra exercise going up and down stairs),before the new system was fitted.
  • Steve247247
    Options
    I'm a landlord (one who looks after his tenants, would you believe!), and am keen to use a rival to Brit Gas for boiler service plans. I remember coming across bold claims in leaflets from this outfit years ago (2011-12), but was put off by the horrendous reviews. However, they are now getting incredible results on Trustpilot, who I feel are a reliable source (or has Trustpilot gone down the pan??).

SO, I have been doing some scouting. They were pretty straight with me that they had problems in the beginning, but have made improvements over the years, so much so that energy provider, OVO, took them over....

SO, folks, I think the superb reviews they are getting are probably merited - but hey, don't take my word for it!

Indeed, I wanted to sign up to them but couldn't a) because they don't do tenanted properties, and b) for my own home, my boiler is too old....(30 years and still going v strong - Potterton Netaheat).

The fact that they don't sign up all and sundry is also a good sign IMO.
  • Alfrescodave
    Options
    So your recommendation is NOT based upon any personal experience of the service they offer but only on advertising.

I think I'll wait to switch once I've seen recommendations from people who have actually used them. Hell freezing over springs to mind .
  • Bernie_The_Bolt
    Options
    When my boiler started making noises I had three different Corgi engineers in. The first two diagnosed different problems but neither could obtain approval from Corgi for the parts. A third engineer showed me some dirty water and told me I had a problem with sludge so I wasn't covered by the contract. Corgi then wrote to say I wasn't covered (even though I still had to pay as I'd agreed to a year's contract) and to let them know when the system had been power-flushed (at my expense, around £500) so cover could recommence.

I let the Corgi contract expire and cancelled it and in the meantime got a proper engineer in who fixed the problem in a couple of minutes and said I didn't need a power-flush.

Make of that what you will but my advice is to simply use a local tradesman.
  • Mike_the_Boilerman
    Options
    I have to say as a boiler technician myself I occasionally encounter people who have been given this guff about dirty water meaning the system needs a power-flush and until it has been done, repair insurance is suspended. They then have people over a barrel if the boiler has actually broken down.

In my 40 year career in heating and plumbing (and the last 18 years as a boiler repair technician) I can only recall one system that I fixed by power-flushing. ALL other calls for power-flushing have turned out to be a fault a preceding technician on site couldn't diagnose. In each case the technician drew off a sample of dirty water to show the customer and claim this was the problem. I think this is now a widespread technique for a repair bod who can't figure out the fault to get off site without admitting this fact, whilst still charging for the visit, and possibly selling a power-flush for his firm too.

After the power-flush (assuming the customer swallows this advice whole) and the system still doesn't work, the firm will claim the flush was needed anyway citing the dirty water sample, then send a different bloke to actually fix the fault.

Cynical? Moi?
    Boiler repair technician in Reading, will travel. Older and awkward boilers my speciality. Google "Mike the Boilerman".
  • tgon
    tgon Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I have to say as a boiler technician myself I occasionally encounter people who have been given this guff about dirty water meaning the system needs a power-flush and until it has been done, repair insurance is suspended. They then have people over a barrel if the boiler has actually broken down.

In my 40 year career in heating and plumbing (and the last 18 years as a boiler repair technician) I can only recall one system that I fixed by power-flushing. ALL other calls for power-flushing have turned out to be a fault a preceding technician on site couldn't diagnose. In each case the technician drew off a sample of dirty water to show the customer and claim this was the problem. I think this is now a widespread technique for a repair bod who can't figure out the fault to get off site without admitting this fact, whilst still charging for the visit, and possibly selling a power-flush for his firm too.

After the power-flush (assuming the customer swallows this advice whole) and the system still doesn't work, the firm will claim the flush was needed anyway citing the dirty water sample, then send a different bloke to actually fix the fault.

Cynical? Moi?

Not cynical. I fell for this scam last November. After 5 visits from 5 different engineers from the same company it turned out to be a faulty pump. I wish I knew you then Mike! :)
  • Jaxter74
    Options
    I’ve been with Corgi since Nov 2017. I had one call out in March 2018 during the “beast from the East” bad weather. I called Corgi and they couldn’t send someone until the following day. In the meantime I looked online and saw that my frozen external pipe could be sorted by pouring boiling water from the kettle on it a few times. This solved the problem. The engineer came the next day and said that I’d done the correct thing and then signed off the job as though he’d solved the problem.
    Fast forward to Dec 2018 and 1 month into my renewal for the second year, and the pressure keeps dropping. I called Corgi again and an engineer came within 48 hours. He tried to refill the system but the pressure gauge needle wasn’t moving. He then decided this was due to a blockage somewhere in the boiler possibly sludge. As soon as he reported back to Corgi they said I wasn’t covered so they wouldn’t authorise any repairs. However they said if I get an independent engineer to prove it’s not sludge they will refund the costs involved.
    So I did that and sent them documents which proved it was a cracked pump (causing a leak and hence pressure drop) and a faulty pressure gauge, definitely NO sludge. They are now refusing to refund all the costs saying that I was only supposed to get a diagnosis of work needed not get the repairs done. I also tried to cancel my policy with them but they said it would cost me £173 just to cancel because I’ve had two call outs since joining them in Nov 2017! Looks like I’m stuck with them until Nov 2019 but Ive escalated my complaint to get all of my expenses refunded because the work that was done should have been covered by my policy.
  • Loulou8
    Options
    I have been with Corgi Homeplan since 2013 and never had any issues with them until now ...... reported a fault Sunday evening, no heating or hot water and pointed out I have 2 children in the house. Fast forward to now (Wednesday) still no heating or hot water!! Engineer FINALLY came out yesterday ordered some parts. Called me this morning to say he has the parts but cannot carry out the repair as Corgi are not getting back to them to authorise the repair!! Another call of many over the past few days and fingers crossed 🤞🏻 it is getting repaired this afternoon. A manager was meant to call me back yesterday to log my complaint, never received a call. Told a manager will be calling me this morning, I’m not holding out any hope!! Had an email yesterday to say my cover is due for renewal, needless to say I will not be renewing it this time. My premium has practically doubled over the time I have been with them and other than boiler issues, if I call them over anything else that I’m supposedly covered for, there is always a loophole for them to get out of it! :mad::mad:
  • spot1
    Options
    I have Corgi Home boiler breakdown cover which I took out in 3/11/2019. In around 10th December we started having problem with our boiler. As it got colder we turned up the boiler temperature setting, but when we did this we found the boiler lost pressure overnight and the following morning the boiler turned itself off as the pressure fell below the required to work.

We topped up the water to that required and got it working, but shortly again the pressure dropped again. We found by keeping the temperature down the boiler would keep working but this was not warm enough for the home. Therefore, I contacted Corgi. They did not come for 3 days. The engineer found the expansion tank was at fault, but as it was Sunday, as everywhere was closed he said he would have to come back the following day morning around 9.30am to replace it.

We waited all morning, but he did not arrive. I phoned Corgi to find out. Corgi are very poor in communications. Their telephone lines are jammed and I have been asked to wait in a que of 12 – 15 people throughout this problem, which I would say is ridiculous. Giving up on this method I turned to the online web chat where I was told they were not going to repair my boiler as it was an existing fault. After a lot of begging and pleading telling them it was not as we were not aware and had just happened when we had to increase the temperature. They finally agreed to send another engineer out who told us that this problem could happen at any time and cannot be predicted.

After his report corgi decided to make repairs, but the second engineer had reported 3 parts to be replaced. The expansion tank, the fan which he said was abnormally noisy and I think a small hose or something, not sure.

Corgi told me as the claim was within first 3 months of the policy they only covered for first £300. The total for the claim was £379.80 or so and I was asked to pay the extra £79. I was not aware of this, but paid just to get the job done.

However, Corgi arranged for a Glow worm engineer to call out as this would be the boiler company engineer and more economical. Finally after a week from the first phone call the engineer came out and replaced the expansion tank and 2 hoses, but not the fan. He said the fan was noisy because there was a small piece of polythene or something in the end of the flue outside and he would not replace a part costing over £100 just for the sake of it. He also showed me some black dirt bits he had cleaned out pf the boiler and told me the flue was not cemented in and the collar of the flue at the wall had screws missing which needed to be put right.

However, we noticed that that the shower which runs from the boiler went cold during shower. When I called to complain about this Corgi told me the flue had to be fixed as per the engineers findings and the system had to be flushed also from all the dirty particles before they would come out. I was very disappointed but said I would get this done and contact them once it was done. I then asked if I could get a refund of the £80 I had to pay as the fan which cost around £100 was not replaced and so the overall cost must now fall below their £300, but they refused.
    They will not call out until the system has been flushed and thats going to cost too much, but even after that, by the sound of things they may not still come out. Seems a waste of time and money. Looking at the number of complaints here is there nothing that can be done. Surely Corgi cannot get away with this.

Please can you help me and let me know if how they are dealing with me is right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure