PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS pleasures in your day today - part 3

Comments

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,562 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 9:17AM
    'Crowland Abbey' just mentioned in Josephine Tey's 'The Daughter of Time' on r4x, to which & is listening, still au lit and post-brekkie.
    A great-grandmother of & was married there(post passim), pre-dating major farmland plunder.
    #
    1. Being glad to be warm and have choices. Might have a 2nd hot drink after this.

2. Time-consuming debadgering appt. Didn't matter. New-last-September apprentice took lots of care. Tutor helped and supervised. Students now have electronic portfolio assessments and &'s permission was sought/granted for 'proof' photos. Lass is 16. & told her she was well over half a century older! A 'goodness me' moment for & too!

3. Appreciated fresh-laundered, soft, snug, long sleeves of new2& White Stuff lambswool jumper, ex Trumpy carboot of day before.

4. RTC Ashford emporium drop-off(post passim): dandelion+burdock, nix and kix
    https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/nix-kix-cucumber-mint/571711-600662-600663?source=sho_&utm_source=google%2Bshopping&utm_medium=organic%2Bgs&utm_campaign=google%2Bshopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnuDTBRDUARIsAL41eDo9R0cxs9ths-RAD2BfyP71KAq1FIOqQxH_K4wmG3x2lbBHwuAjK6oaAu5_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL-ByN3jkNkCFQww0wodKV0DzA
    to village friend, who was delighted. Our usual cuppa, & grateful for hands around hot mug. Huge catch-up and she was amazed by a pack of love letters & found abandoned at Magic World, Hyères, depuis 4 samedis. Pristine condition, clearly carefully kept since received, early '70s onwards. Perfect handwriting. Catherine>Christian. She was away (more studentry/teaching) in Wurzberg for over a year. Now, & was also living there, in the Var, then. &'s Danish side has several chaps 'Christian', but no Monsieur Orard. Lock of her hair. Exquisitely couched intimacy. Promises/Imaginings of forthcoming 'vie à deux'. So glad to have found/saved them. Friend agrees and & said 'so glad you feel same'. :-). Just a remarkable find and set of circumstances. Can guess at a clearance after loss of Monsieur Orard? Also, & wonders if Catherine ever became Mme Orard?

5. Quick subsequent call>town of horse emporium, hoping young friend on duty. Yes. Emporium near deserted. Osp 4 friend had given same cat+van Gogh card to her son, bday just before crimbo. They all loved them. Even more, osp 4 friend had just rcvd delayed crimbo pressie socks, also Beaux Arts themed: Botticelli's angels, Munch's The Scream etc. Young emporium friend now determined to obtain some for her Papa's bday on Friday.
    https://goo.gl/images/tNr4ej
    #
    Around goes our world...
    Yes, bop....nearly leapt onto your last baited post:-), but instead have just been listening to &'s great young PM, Jacinda Adearn. She's terrific. Careful, bop. Centenary of wimmin's suffrage all over airwaves today, with many mentions that &land Enzed was first to give it: 1893. & probably voted then....:-)
    p.s.>Raffles and lady bopsie. Live crimbo cake still available chez &. Gorgeous stuff it is too.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Monday pleasures,

Clear skies first thing quickly turned into snow flurries by mid-morning.

Capt S collected Rosie dog's ashes, we will have a trip to her favourite beach to scatter, just not yet..

The forsythia is all buds, can't wait for the cheery yellow flowers to appear.

Trip out to pet store with Tilly to find her a sleeping pad for the living room, after trying a few out she made her choice and snuggled down much to the amusement of the staff.

Uni Challenge so grey cells excercised.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 6 February 2018 at 10:36AM
    Morning all

Pleasures for Sunday

1. Hangover from Saturday night was not too bad. i rarely drink so much these days and it's a good reminder of why i don't :beer:
    2. OH has 'almost' finished the painting. the never ending clear up from 'drain gate' (which happened at the beginning of September) is nearly over..
    3. Lamb cooked 'sous vide' in the slow cooker - with left overs to be had tonight
    4. Washing hung on the line - not dried but had a good airing
    5. Call the Midwife

And yesterday

1. Excellent interview with a former student - and my first man. Good to get a different perspective
    2. Lunch with friend after
    3. Good walks on a bright crisp day to and from the station. The first daffs are blooming
    4. Soup and pud for tea - pud was chocolate bread and butter pudding leftover from Saturday and was even yummier
    5. Bought a new shirt from white stuff - used my 15% off code and a voucher i'd got from my MiL for Christmas 2016 so it was 'only' £17 :T

Marscapone lime torte recipe (courtesy of Mr Sainsbugs from years ago)

Marscapone lime tort
    200g pack ginger snaps
    2 oz butter
    2 x 250g tubs marscapone
    1 ½ oz icing sugar
    Zest and juice of 2 limes

Crush biscuits add melted butter, bottom of a 7 inch tin, fridge
    Put remainder in a bowl and beat and spread on base. Put back in fridge
    Decorate (I use grated dark chocolate - sainsbugs did something faffy with chocolate and the leaves of roses, but who has time for that?)

Have a good day all - another bright and sunny one here, but I have no washing to hang out...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • 1) Today has turned into a sparkling sunshiny blue skied day and it's wonderful if you're indoors, outside though you're perished going between the house and the compost bin!!!

2) I broke my reading glasses last night, the frame snapped and isn't repairable. That's not the pleasure bit, they're only OTC readers from Boots and the fact that I can go and buy another pair this afternoon IS the pleasure.

3) Hot soup for lunch with cold chicken and sausages cooked on Sunday so very easy.

4) All the chores done and housework, ironing etc. up to date.

5) The housing market seems to be finally waking up a bit and we have 5 houses to view so far and are hopeful of more before we go.
  • A few little uns for yesterday, while I'm waiting for the insurance assessor.

1 Just back from DF!!!8217;s having taken photo!!!8217;s of all rooms before starting to clear.
    2 1 car load of 3 boxes of art books going to MIL and 3 boxes books to CS.
    3 I!!!8217;ve bought flowers back here and the smell is amazing, however DH is apparently allergic!
    4 Just hoovered the whole house.
    5 Just had a healthy surprise freezer meal, it was apparently a massive chop that fed us both with veg and grains.
    6 Completely engrossed in Silent Witness, I!!!8217;ve never seen it before.
    7 I!!!8217;m internet window shopping in Thompson and Morgan.

Back with todays pleasures later
  • Balls, ladies, balls. I note someone has bin into the meatballs caf! and bought some cheap soft plywood mattress protector! Avoid!

5 Now through my complete ignorance, BoP after yesterday tellings yous lot about how rich the emporiums were and giving away free cash, I has just checked my £12 voucher! Lo and behold it is out of date! Never mind, I wills tell you when I gets another one from them! Avoid!

4 Not only that, but no sign of leaves on my trees this morning, but again our new meter of smart tells me how much I need my leaves to grow to offset all my hot air! Still as there was a dusting of snow overnight in the weather inversion, Raffles has returned home unharmed and is snuggingly warm on the bed. BoPise again is keeping her tootsies warm!

3 Just down at the mill, sore tin out other bits and bobs in the boiler room. Now I is sats with me lunch box again, today filled to the gunnels by BoPsie with good things. Proper cheese, cakes of Jaffa, still on offer at w8rs, salad. Proper foods, no mess and a bit of Bourneville as well!

2 Nite BoP is on the floor of the gym with his beach ready body, viewing is recommended. Later BoP with be havings his homemade soup, and crusty bread and butter! Emulsions are for walls not dfor stomachs! Proper goodness and good for you! Far better than balls, tom sauce and soft pine plywood!

I tried as far as possible to avoid using apostrophes, but this is not guaranteed!
  • Hello. It's blooming freezing here. Woke up to snow this morning which was beautiful.

Fabulous doggy walk first thing in the snow. Stunning hedgerows. Lovely birds and a well beagles dog.

Took the bus to Glasgow this morning with DD1 and we had just the best day. A mix of charity shops and nice shops, people watching , lunch which was my treat and she queued and girl at till gave her a voucher so it was even cheaper.

Got a nice top/ dress in one shop. DD1 got a dress in another and a few books in a few shops. She's taking home a library-ette. Just as we're leaving I spied with my beady eye a Cath K travel bag in a beautiful duck egg floral , checked it over and it's original ( I had a disappointing purchase from ebay once) I think from the code on the tag it was just in today so I was delighted! Having already been in the proper Cath K shop for a mooch and gasp at the prices ( I've only ever bought in the sales)

Didn't have to wait for a bus home and a warm welcome from my doggy boy.

Dinner was indian food which was very tasty and a treat for all of us but especially DD1. Nearly farewell time :(

A good day .
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,146 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pleasures for today (Tuesday).

1) Not a bad sleep.

2) Painted my sister's house from 10-3!

3) Went to see my friend for a cup of tea.

4) Tasty tea of large Lidl burgers.

5) Managed to get smaller son to do his maths homework.
  • Well we are hoping to receive a bit of good news that we are covered on insurance, ironically one of DH’s friends put it into perspective, ours is a very very small claim, where as she has a pair of earrings worth most of a house!

1 The insurance adjuster was hooman, so here is hoping.
    2 I am clawing back at normal today – the animals went loopy helping me while I pondered around the garden.
    3 About 40 closed yellow crocuss coming up. I also planted up 5 pots with any bulbs.
    4 Planted DFs bulbs out in memory, he no doubt had them many years, but you never know they may grow.
    5 Haddock and veg for dinner before a volunteer meeting tonight.
    6 A few minutes bird watching the various birds on the feeders and around.
    7 2 more hours achieved in our own tidying, I cleared and made some space, buy which I mean gathering all things that class as animal bedding together to dig down to what is lovingly called the spare room. Moved caravan stuff out to the caravan, I am shattered, and I have nearly cleared down to the bed. Next step tomorrow still a daunting amount ahead. But so much to do, meanwhile DH got on with cabling for the CCTV system - an epic.

What is up with the forum at the moment it seems to have a lot of bugs.
  • Hi all, very late with Tuesday’s pleasures

1. Bright, sunshiney day which gave my DH the opportunity to replace the old fence panels with the new ones delivered last night.:T

2. Started on the clothes, 31 items in Rag bag or cs bag. Most of miy clothes are now sorted - I have a pile of jumpers/fleeces to put in wardrobe, half a dozen items to be ironed but my scarves are causing me a bit of a problem so will leave until tomorrow.

3. The majority of DH’s t-shirts have been folded Kondo style & one drawer filled & to be returned to the chest of drawers:T

4. Delicious lunch - ‘mackerel in tomato sauce’ on toast:drool:

5. Very nice dinner - mackerel fillets, mash & mixed veg - a very fishy day much to the delight of my DH:D

6. Reading your pleasures.

‘See’ you later today!

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback