school holidays

Options
Im sure its been posted in here somewhere but with holidays changing I just looking for some advice

School holidays often up the prices for people who cant take them at another time when are these dates that I should avoid
@
'Save £1,100 in 2019' #81

£50/£1100

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Depends where you are in the UK. Schools aren't out the same weeks across the country. There may also be local differences between public and state schools. School session plans can usually be found on the school's website so perhaps look up the schedules of some local schools.
  • bradders1983
    Options
    In England/Wales its going to be:

- a week in the middle of Feb
    - the week at the end of May that has the late May bank holiday on it
    - a week at the end of Oct/start of Nov

Problem is you will get variations between areas for the first and third ones (May one is usually fixed on the BH week), as an example half term next month may be w/c 11th in some areas but 18th in others.

Easter is 2 weeks but again this can vary, some areas like Sheffield now have the first two weeks of April off fixed, no matter when Easter is.

Summer varies between England/Wales and Scotland, I believe Scotland breaks up start of July and England/Wales much later.

As for Xmas, you know when this is.
  • ruffwood
    ruffwood Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Your best option is to go to a local authority website and search for school term dates. Choose more than one LA to have a range of dates. It is of course possible that schools may well use their academy status to have individual times however the overwhelming majority fit with local authority times to avoid issues such as children from same family being in Primary and Secondary having dates that do not match
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Google "School holidays".
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fly from Scotland when English hols. start, or from England when Scottish hols. end.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Fly from Scotland when English hols. start, or from England when Scottish hols. end.
    I don't think so - Scottish schools are a couple of weeks into their summer break when English schools close in July, so flying from GLA or EDI then is in their local peak price period.

In reverse, English schools are on holiday until September, whereas Scottish ones start their new session around mid August when England is still in peak price times.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In England/Wales its going to be:

- a week in the middle of Feb
    - the week at the end of May that has the late May bank holiday on it
    - a week at the end of Oct/start of Nov

Going to be? I thought it had been that for years. Maybe just in the area where I live.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think so - Scottish schools are a couple of weeks into their summer break when English schools close in July, so flying from GLA or EDI then is in their local peak price period.

In reverse, English schools are on holiday until September, whereas Scottish ones start their new session around mid August when England is still in peak price times.

Yep, sorry, wrong way round.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    From what I've heard, a few years ago, package deals from Newcastle rose into peak period from the end of June because a significant number of Scots were flying from NCL the first two weeks of July when the tribes north of Hadrian's Wall were on first fortnight of their schools holidays, but the locals weren't.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With all the different types of schools these days, OP needs to check with the actual schools his children attend to be certain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure