Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    nothing payable under EU compensation for a non-EU airline departing outside he EU. You could contact your travel insurance to see what they will cover
  • Caz3121 wrote: »
    nothing payable under EU compensation for a non-EU airline departing outside he EU. You could contact your travel insurance to see what they will cover

Thanks for replying. I knew about the EU just wasn’t sure about outwith.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 793

Jan NSD 9/10 :jFeb NSD 4/10 :eek:
    Mar NSD 16/20 April 2/20
  • My WestJet flight to Canada was delayed for 48 hours due to the drone incident at Gatwick. WestJet are refusing to pay compensation as they state the incident was not their fault, but I am reading on this forum that some airlines are agreeing to pay compensation! I had to pay for accommodation for 2 nights until my flight was rescheduled and we missed an ice hockey game in Canada which cost me over £500! Some advice please
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Kbirkill wrote: »
    My WestJet flight to Canada was delayed for 48 hours due to the drone incident at Gatwick. WestJet are refusing to pay compensation as they state the incident was not their fault, but I am reading on this forum that some airlines are agreeing to pay compensation! I had to pay for accommodation for 2 nights until my flight was rescheduled and we missed an ice hockey game in Canada which cost me over £500! Some advice please

Airport closing for safety reason = extraordinary circumstances so no compensation. You are, however, entitled to reimbursement of your accommodation costs during your delay. Has WestJet refused to cover this? Things like lost hockey tickets are a matter for your travel insurance.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Also, food and drink (nonalcoholic) although you will need receipts
  • pookey
    pookey Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, we were flying to goa via Mumbai on Sunday. The first flight was delayed by an hour which caused us to miss our connecting flight. We had to wait for another flight to get to goa, does anyone know if we can claim compensation please? & the best way to do so
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 February 2019 at 4:41PM
    Which airline were you flying with as this should be put on the thread for the airline concerned? Also was this flight all on one ticket and what was the reason for the first delay. Answer on the correct thread please.
  • Hi, I would appreciate some advise on the following. I travelled from Birmingham to Baghdad on Turkish Airlines, with a transit via Istanbul. The 1st leg of the journey was OK with a small delay. However, flight from Istanbul to Baghdad was cancelled twice with no reason given. I finally departed 38 hours later than scheduled, although airline did put us up in a hotel. Am I entitled to any compensation? Thanks
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Assuming the cancellations were due to non-extraordinary cirumstances, I would say yes. Read up on the Emirates vs Gahan ruling.
  • jpsartre wrote: »
    Assuming the cancellations were due to non-extraordinary cirumstances, I would say yes. Read up on the Emirates vs Gahan ruling.

Thanks. How do I find the reasons for the cancellations retrospectively, as this was not given at the time? Surely most airlines will quote a mitigating factor like weather to avoid having to pay compensation ....
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback