Santander text alerts

I have banked with Santander/Abbey for many years, and have always used the facility of text alerts to notify me of any payments over £50.
Normally I have received these alerts during daytime hours, recently however, (since September), I have started receiving text alerts in the early hours, 2 and 3 am for example.
I have spoken to Santander who say nothing has changed and that it has always been their policy that alerts for card payments over £50 will be sent 24/7.
My question is, has is anyone else suffering from the same problem? and if so is it a recent thing.
I for one do not appreciate dinging phones in the early hours.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    maybe get a modern phone with a do not disturb setting for night time. (unless its a known / favourite number)

or just switch your phone off !
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    antieu wrote: »
    I have banked with Santander/Abbey for many years, and have always used the facility of text alerts to notify me of any payments over £50.
    Normally I have received these alerts during daytime hours, recently however, (since September), I have started receiving text alerts in the early hours, 2 and 3 am for example.
    I have spoken to Santander who say nothing has changed and that it has always been their policy that alerts for card payments over £50 will be sent 24/7.
    My question is, has is anyone else suffering from the same problem? and if so is it a recent thing.

Turn your phone off when you go to bed then. :wall:
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    antieu wrote: »

These alerts can arrive at anytime after the event, sometimes 24 hours.

It's hard to imagine anyone appreciating a dinging phone in the early hours, unless of course your account has just been looted.
  • Kinda defeats the object of being alerted if you don't like being... alerted...
  • OceanSound
    OceanSound Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If there is anything untoward, a message received 12 hours after the event is not really an alert. Perhaps Santander should use the royal mail guaranteed next day delivery service. I'll be quicker.:wink:
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,600 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Set up the phone as silent for messages but sounds on for calls.

I did this for a while on the assumption that I would be telephoned for anything urgent and would hear it. Messages however weren't important enough for me to be awoken.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    i always have messages on silent have done for years...
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    More to the point is why the texts are arriving so long after the event maybe you should consider switching bank accounts to eg monzo they use notifications which are instant
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure