My fault or not my fault?

Options
2»

Comments

• tempus_fugit
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    The OP's Mother's reaction sounds odd and over-the-top.

Maybe there's more to this than we've been told. :think:
    What, poking her nose in where it's not needed, being overbearing and blaming her son for everything. That's pretty normal, in my experience anyway. :D
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    What, poking her nose in where it's not needed, being overbearing and blaming her son for everything. That's pretty normal, in my experience anyway. :D
    Then you've clearly not educated your Mother about what behaviour is and isn't acceptable.
    My OH could give you tips on that.
  • Gra76
    Gra76 Posts: 804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    For the record, my mum is hugely overbearing, thinks myself and my brother are a pain in her backside and that my sister can do no wrong. She's always stuck her nose in, she just can't help it. Even at 42 years old she thinks I can't do anything right and that I need to hear her opinions on everything. Even when she's so wrong it's unbelievable she believes she's right and I'm wrong. She regularly talks down to me and insults everything from my parenting style to my choice of clothes.

Anyway, after a good 30 mins of heated debate with her last night she's finally agreed that maybe it's not my fault. Can't believe it took more than 5 mins but she said I should have asked my sister if she'd booked it and then made sure she posted the voucher to me. Even my sister rang her to say it was partially her fault but mainly my ex and my sons fault.

So she's a lot better now than she was, although it took a bit of a battle for her to see it...
  • SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    This begs the question of why it was important to you, at age 42, for you to need your mother to admit this was not your fault.

Doesn't matter whether your mother "see's it" or not, it is none of her business. If she wanted to discuss it you should have directed her to your sister (the purchaser), your son (the recipient & frankly more than old enough to appreciate the gift & discuss the date with you), your ex (who 'forgot').

You know that at 42 to are not 'answerable' to your mother don't you, she can only 'tell you off' if you allow her to, you're not 6!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure