PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Karmacat yes I'm seriously interested in microgreens as well. For soup.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    mardatha wrote: »
    Karmacat yes I'm seriously interested in microgreens as well. For soup.
    That's it, Mar, it was you that started the conversation. I'm just having a thing recently where I'm thinking about storing the stuff for one project all together, rather than, say, all the seeds together, all the containers together. All the microgreens in one cauldron type thing, thats much better, I think. Certainly worth experimenting with.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    That would work yes :)
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Is it prepping to yell at husband to put that knife down & wait while I get the proper screwdriver from the jar before he repairs a sewing-box?

(We have a lot of dinner knives, but this was a nice one & anyway I wouldn't care to put a number on the number of screwdrivers we have!)

I've also restocked on fancy coffee - this time Seasonal Edition Gingerbread Latte, as some chaps seemed to feel the Nescafe Gold Caramelised Almond & Vanilla Latte Sachets were a little lacking in the machismo they require in a coffee. (Frankly, baffled, but some chaps defy reasonable explanation.) That said, if anyone wants to hold another marathon team meeting, they can wait til next year...
  • Himself last night: 'Why do we have a freezer if we don't eat all our meals from there before buying anything else?'.

Oh, dear...[deep breath]

I managed to not reply with 'because you can't be trusted to shop for ingredients and prepare a proper meal with vegetables when there are bags of sweets and crisps for you to spend our money on instead'.

I replied with something about

Having fresh fruit, meat, fish and vegetables throughout winter when they're really expensive.
    Not wasting half of what's cooked because it's left in the pan overnight (and I refuse to touch anything that hasn't at least gone into the fridge - which he really should be remembering by now)
    Being able to take advantage of reductions and offers rather than pay full price.
    Being able to save by getting larger amounts and have the rest later.
    Having ice ready for my gin when the tonic water has been left out of the fridge.
    Having choices to be able to come up with ideas when there's not much in the shops.
    Having proper meals when we're too tired, busy, ill or skint to go to the shops.

I omitted Not having to chisel slime moulds off the inside of the pans, slow cooker, microwave and fridge because you've left things in there and it's only been noticed on my day off when I want to cook something, so I'm less likely to go ballistic about food safety and wasting my time cleaning filth off my kitchen and chucking away things I have worked damn hard to buy when I'm the one out at work all week. And Because the World Is Probably Going To S*** And We Will Be On The Receiving End Of Some Of It At Some Point.

He's lovely, really. But there are times when I wonder whether he's engaged his brain before he speaks.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • What are you doing with my husband?😀
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I've heard several similarly baffled souls mutter, but like Jojo. I step away from the knife block & frying pan, deal with the facts & then growl elsewhere...

I think some chippies should label their regulars with "if found please return to" tags...
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As you guys know, I have a fairly isolated life beetling away at my flats, so I guess I don't come in contact with germs regularly...

So any time I go somewhere people are sitting close, I seem to pick up germs from them. Last Christmas I got quite a bad cold from a bus journey. The one where I abandonned my car at gridlocked Savacentre.

Recently, I had to go to the doctors regarding loosing feeling in a couple of toes. (He has no idea what the trouble is.) However, as usual, three days afterwards I started a runny nose & sore throat.

Any thoughts, regarding my toes, or avoiding people's germs?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) We swim in germs and it may be that your (relatively) isolated life isn't challenging your immune system sufficiently. It's reckoned 3-5 colds per year are normal for most adults (double that easily if you're exposed to young children).

A useful product is the nasal spray V1cks F1rst Defense. Buy it now, and use it the minute you start getting cold symptoms and it often stops them in their tracks. I managed to get through several months of cold season last year, working in a call centre, before getting a cold and I attribute that to this product. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another vote for First Defence. I carry antibac hand gel around all the time, and I touch as little as I can. Salt gargles are good too. Elderberry. The old hot water in a bowl and breathing it in while you have a towel over your head :) When the chronic fatigue was in the acute phase, I did actively avoid people, and it helped, because when I was ill, I was ill for months, each time. Have you isolated yourself on purpose, or is it just accidental? Would you mind getting out more?

Your toes ... no clue! You're right to go to the doc, it could be circulation, a previous injury thats caused a previously hidden issue, arthritis pressing on a nerve, badly fitting shoes ... the list is endless :) I hope your doc listens and takes note, to be honest I haven't had wonderful experiences in that regard. Good luck!

HTH
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family