Asda Online non-delivery of milk (again, and again...)

itm2
itm2 Posts: 1,310
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
Forumite
We do an online grocery order from Asda every 10 days. The first (and most important) item on every shop is a supply of semi-skimmed milk - several 4-pint bottles. At least three times in the last 6 months Asda have failed to deliver the milk. When I complained last time I was told:
"All the products we sell and advertise are subject to availability and may not be available at every store depending on the size and location of the store. We regularly review our product ranges. Decisions to stock products are based on sales and customer's feedback. We cannot guarantee as to when an item will be back in stock or out of stock. "
Semi-skimmed milk is hardly an esoteric item. It is possibly the single most ubiquitous shopping cart item for the majority of UK shoppers.
Has anyone else had this problem? Obviously raising another complaint would be pointless, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to get this taken seriously by Asda?

Comments

• PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It’s funny that I was in my local Asda yesterday and there was virtually no milk at all.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,932
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Why not see if you can get a doorstep milk delivery from someone else and leave it out of the ASDA shop?
  • itm2
    Forumite
    pramsay13 wrote: »
    Why not see if you can get a doorstep milk delivery from someone else and leave it out of the ASDA shop?

I love the idea but milk deliveries are nearly treble the price (e.g. milkandmore charge £1.56 for 2 pints, vs £1.10 for 4 pints at Asda or Tesco).
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,849
    Homepage Hero I won, I won, I won! I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Senior Ambassador
    itm2 wrote: »
    We do an online grocery order from Asda every 10 days. The first (and most important) item on every shop is a supply of semi-skimmed milk - several 4-pint bottles. At least three times in the last 6 months Asda have failed to deliver the milk. When I complained last time I was told:
    "All the products we sell and advertise are subject to availability and may not be available at every store depending on the size and location of the store. We regularly review our product ranges. Decisions to stock products are based on sales and customer's feedback. We cannot guarantee as to when an item will be back in stock or out of stock. "
    Semi-skimmed milk is hardly an esoteric item. It is possibly the single most ubiquitous shopping cart item for the majority of UK shoppers.
    Has anyone else had this problem? Obviously raising another complaint would be pointless, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for how to get this taken seriously by Asda?

I have had it happen a few times along with bread.

Its just one of those things, if its not available when they are picking your shopping, it wont get delivered.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • When a supermarket home delivery failed to deliver an item (multiples of this item), I rejected the whole delivery, as with my health problems I could not 'nip out ' and get it myself.
    Nasty? Maybe, but it was on the order to provide substitutes, which should have been possible. A quick phone call would have sorted the situation.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've never had ASDA fail to deliver milk but on updating my order the previous night 4-pint semi-skimmed has been shown as unavailable. You'd have thought that it would have confidence that there would be a delivery to store before the home delivery drivers set off in the morning.

I did have one occasion when 2x4-pint canisters were delivered with a use-by date of the following day so that had much the same effect as a non-delivery as I had to visit a shop which is what the delivery was meant to make unnecessary.
  • When a supermarket home delivery failed to deliver an item (multiples of this item), I rejected the whole delivery, as with my health problems I could not 'nip out ' and get it myself.
    Nasty? Maybe, but it was on the order to provide substitutes, which should have been possible. A quick phone call would have sorted the situation.

It is nasty actually. As a driver myself if there is a cancelled or rejected order then I am the one that has to put the whole order away once back at the store. After an already long day out on the road I then have to work an extra 30 minutes after my finishing time to put your order back on the shelves.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,519
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It is nasty actually. As a driver myself if there is a cancelled or rejected order then I am the one that has to put the whole order away once back at the store. After an already long day out on the road I then have to work an extra 30 minutes after my finishing time to put your order back on the shelves.

It's not the customer's fault though if your employer chooses to impose those working conditions on you. Blame Asda - it's them who've decided that's an acceptable working practice.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • itm2
    Forumite

You offer an interesting perspective. As a matter of interest, is there any advice that you would give to customers if they are repeatedly needing to visit the supermarket after the delivery driver has left because major items haven't been delivered? What's the most effective way of getting something done about this by whoever is responsible for managing stock levels?
    I'm only talking about common items which are on most shopping lists (e.g. milk, bread, butter, etc). Or things which are clearly important to the customer - e.g. if they've ordered a chicken for Sunday lunch.
  • itm2 wrote: »
    You offer an interesting perspective. As a matter of interest, is there any advice that you would give to customers if they are repeatedly needing to visit the supermarket after the delivery driver has left because major items haven't been delivered? What's the most effective way of getting something done about this by whoever is responsible for managing stock levels?
    I'm only talking about common items which are on most shopping lists (e.g. milk, bread, butter, etc). Or things which are clearly important to the customer - e.g. if they've ordered a chicken for Sunday lunch.

My store seems to have quite a good fulfilment rate for orders of the staple items. I cannot recall not having milk to deliver and if a particular bread etc was not available then a suitable sub tends to be offered which seems to satisfy most customers.

Stock levels should be kept up automatically. Any change in sales levels would be flagged up and stock orders increased/decreased as required. Really, milk should not being in stock inexcusable.

You have complained to ASDA, not sure what else you can do really. They should be taking note of these issues. Have you tried other supermarkets? ASDA seem to be the lowest ranked of all the supermarkets for customer satisfaction for deliveries.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure