IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Excel Parking PCN (Iceland, Harrow)

We've received a PCN Hirer Notification for one of our leased cars for this site from August. PCN has photos of the car entering/leaving the car park.

The reason Excel are giving for the PCN is that the car was "parked without payment of the parking tariff for the vehicle registration mark of the vehicle on site" (one of our directors has a Pay and Display ticket for the right place/time/date, but the registration number is only a few characters rather than the full plate, which does tally up at the bare minimum)

The notification's dated the 3rd of September and either came in the office's post on Saturday or Monday morning, so I have until this Monday to file something and still be in the appeal timeframe for the reduced rate.

I know that:
  • We're not to name the driver
  • Excel are on the IPC AOS list, so we'd reject IAS if it came to that
  • We should be appealing as the hirer (looping back to not naming the driver)
  • Nothing was bought from Iceland, so I doubt we can justifiably ask Iceland to demand that the PCN is closed

I'm not Fleet (Accounts, also handling the post) but am lost as to where to go with it at this point. Would we put the Fleet Manager as the named person at the bottom of the appeal?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    If you have read the newbies FAQ thread then you know appeals to IPC companies are futile

Send the template appeal in the FAQ

As long as they know who the hirer is you can ignore everything except a lbcca or Court correspondence

Presumably the hirer is a company??
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    We've received a PCN Hirer Notification for one of our leased cars
    Use the template appeal version in the 'company/lease cars' section of the NEWBIES thread*, the appeal created by Edna Basher especially for companies re leased vehicles. He knows what he is talking about and his company have had umpteen fake PCNs and seen them all off.
    Would we put the Fleet Manager as the named person at the bottom of the appeal?
    You might want to send a pm to Edna Basher, for advice. He's very friendly, knowledgeable and a regular poster. I think he would say just put the COMPANY name at the bottom.

*it's near the end of the first post of the sticky, in the company cars section.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Yes, the hirer is a company, but the invoices from Lex Autolease do specify a member of staff before mentioning our company.

I did try sending Edna a PM to clarify on what to sign off as, but he turns out to be very popular, as he has so many stored messages I can't send him one!
  • Edna_Basher
    Edna_Basher Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2018 at 11:32PM
    Hi HobbityLife

Excel and its ugly sister company Vehicle Control Services (VCS) are particularly nasty companies and there is usually no easy way to get their charges cancelled.

In this case your best bet is to first complain to the management at Iceland to see if you can get them to instruct Excel to cancel - after all, the driver paid for parking and was "guilty" only of mistyping the vehicle registration number at the pay terminal - or maybe just like at many other Excel car parks, the terminal was faulty.

With regard to Excel, we choose not to use their silly "myparkingcharge" website and instead communicate by letter and / or by email (which they don't like). Also, we refer to the matter as a "dispute" rather than an "appeal" - I really dislike the word "appeal" because it gives private parking companies credibility which they do not deserve.

We usually sign off our letters without an employee name - just "Fleet Management Department" and the company name. If you'd like to show them a little more contempt, you could always sign off as "Speculative Invoice Management Department" instead.

C-M is a little generous in saying the we see off all private PCNs. That used to be the case when POPLA was a truly professional service and before the AJH Films case came along to give the IAS an excuse to side with the parking company in company hire car cases. The IAS is now a waste of time even for companies and the Ombudsman Services "POPLA Team" seem to be on a mission to throw as many obstacles in the way of company "appellants" as they can think of.

We now have about half a dozen outstanding old Excel / VCS PCNs for which all we've been able to do is a) respond with an initial letter of dispute and b) kick them into the long grass unless / until they send a Letter before Claim. So far Excel / VCS haven't had the courage to chance their arm with a claim. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, we'd love it, just love it if they did.
  • We now have about half a dozen outstanding old Excel / VCS PCNs for which all we've been able to do is a) respond with an initial letter of dispute and b) kick them into the long grass unless / until they send a Letter before Claim. So far Excel / VCS haven't had the courage to chance their arm with a claim. To paraphrase Kevin Keegan, we'd love it, just love it if they did.

So no court cases as yet:beer: I assume this only applies to company/lease cars as I have an on going dispute with Excel over a PCN although it isn't company/lease car. My heart skipped a beat when I read they haven't gone to court with any yet then realised my situation is different :( oh well lets see if they want a court battle with me.:D
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,396 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Read Lamilad's court battles with Excel.

Documented in his threads on here and on pepipoo (someone malicious is believed to have shown Excel his pepipoo thread, to try to engineer a loss in court for a forum poster!). They failed. Lamilad won, more than once.

The transcripts are hosted by the Parking Prankster in his case law pages.

Only follow case law links on the Prankster's website, not any dodgy other links - really disappointing. But his Blogs he writes himself are great, as are the case law pages.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Read Lamilad's court battles with Excel.

Documented in his threads on here and on pepipoo (someone malicious is believed to have shown Excel his pepipoo thread, to try to engineer a loss in court for a forum poster!). They failed. Lamilad won, more than once.

The transcripts are hosted by the Parking Prankster in his case law pages.

Only follow case law links on the Prankster's website, not any dodgy other links - really disappointing. But his Blogs he writes himself are great, as are the case law pages.

Thanks CM yes I've read a lot of Lamilads posts and contributions (yours too) and especially about Excel.

I'm on top of things at present (3 x DRP, 2 x Zenith:cool:) and just waiting for the LBA/LBCCC from Gladys or BW or I guess one of the other bunch of clowns then it's rebutall/s, AOS, Defence, WS etc I will be the first to update my thread if/when it comes.

Oh and yes I'm up to speed with the pranksters website and all the cases there, I find the court transcripts very interesting
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure