Watching pmq's today. Think Corbyn said many people on ESA will lose it?

Options
I only had half an eye on it but am sure he said something about people on ESA will lose it in the future under May? Does anyone know anything about this? Maybe I misheard

Comments

• Haven't seen anything in the news to suggest this, but its doubtful that Mrs May has much of a future herself.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I think he was talking about the move to UC.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Everybody on legacy benefits will eventually be migrated to UC (under current plans). Doesn’t mean they will lose benefits, depending on circumstances some will get slightly more money, others will lose but government is looking at transitional protection (after much lobbying).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Having just watched PMQ's, what Corbyn was asking about was the managed migration process.

Corbyn was stating that DWP will NOT transfer a claimant from ESA to UC as part of a DWP clerical process.

From what I understand Corbyn may be correct. ESA will write to claimants saying that their ESA claim will be closed from X date and that they must apply for UC online.

Corbyn says that this will leave many vulnerable claimants without benefits, as they may not have the capacity to react to the ESA letter and apply for UC online.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    Everybody on legacy benefits will eventually be migrated to UC (under current plans). Doesn’t mean they will lose benefits, depending on circumstances some will get slightly more money, others will lose but government is looking at transitional protection (after much lobbying).

I thought that transitional relief had always been the plan from when they start managed migrations? which can be expected from 2019
  • calcotti
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    I thought that transitional relief had always been the plan from when they start managed migrations? which can be expected from 2019

You may be right but I wasn’t sure everything was covered, there was a lot of coverage recently abut the SDP but I haven’t followed it too closely.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • justaquestion
    Options
    huckster wrote: »
    Having just watched PMQ's, what Corbyn was asking about was the managed migration process.

Corbyn was stating that DWP will NOT transfer a claimant from ESA to UC as part of a DWP clerical process.

From what I understand Corbyn may be correct. ESA will write to claimants saying that their ESA claim will be closed from X date and that they must apply for UC online.

Corbyn says that this will leave many vulnerable claimants without benefits, as they may not have the capacity to react to the ESA letter and apply for UC online.

That is the meaning I took from it too, I suppose it all will boil down to saving money, I think he mentioned the word "support" in his question, so I took that to mean the support group of ESA.

But who knows, it could all be in the pipeline just like the way it was dropped in the budget a number of years ago, that ESA (cb) wrag was for 365 days only.
  • calcotti
    Options
    That is the meaning I took from it too, I suppose it all will boil down to saving money, I think he mentioned the word "support" in his question, so I took that to mean the support group of ESA.

But who knows, it could all be in the pipeline just like the way it was dropped in the budget a number of years ago, that ESA (cb) wrag was for 365 days only.

I don’t think support refers to the Support Group. The concern is that the UC claim process is challenging for some claimants and can be harder to negotiate that legacy benefit claims. Vulnerable claimants need help (support) to ensure that they do transfer to UC and don’t get Lost and forced in poverty.
  • calcotti wrote: »
    You may be right but I wasn’t sure everything was covered, there was a lot of coverage recently abut the SDP but I haven’t followed it too closely.

Transitional relief should mean that your legacy benefit payments will not change when moved to UC, but neither will they be increased until they reach the level of UC.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's like the DLA to PIP case, there is no migration, you have to apply for UC when ESA, JSA or IS tell you or your benefits will cease.

There is no process to transfer data as the legacy systems cannot talk to the UC systems and vice versa.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure